• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I’ve got an Eye of Round roast I need to cook. I know this stuff is supposed to be tough. Looking for suggestions on how to cook it. E.g., slow cooker, pressure cooker, etc. Can you make a decent pot roast with one of them?
    Gun Zone Deals

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    Marinate overnight with your preferred spices and (a small amount) vinegar. Slow cook in the crockpot for 8 hours with potatoes, carrots and celery.

The vinegar will help break down the meat while it marinates and make for a very tender roast.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sear it by roasting @ high temp until rare, then let rest. To exspensive & lean to crock pot. Smoking until rare is another option. Slice thin on the bias.

If you want a crock pot roast think cheaper roast. Exspensive roast are better rare IMHO.

rexster314

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Those cuts of meat are crying for a sous vide bath, then a good searing in a screaming hot cast iron skillet. An 8 hour or so sous vide will make you think you're eating prime rib

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I’d cook the snot out of it in a crockpot. Load it with all the veggies for the last couple of hours. Cut across the grain when serving.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I’d cook the snot out of it in a crockpot. Load it with all the veggies for the last couple of hours. Cut across the grain when serving.
    You might find that instead of slices it just strings along the length of it as that how the grain is. With that being said mock tenders aka chuck tenders would do the same but cheaper with a bit more flavor.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    500 degree oven preheat,
    season roast
    lower to 475 roast 7 minutes per pound minimum 20 mins
    turn off oven leave door closed 2.5 hours
    perfect every time .

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    You might find that instead of slices it just strings along the length of it as that how the grain is. With that being said mock tenders aka chuck tenders would do the same but cheaper with a bit more flavor.

I’ve cooked a couple like this and they were really good. I also use eye of round to make jerky.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Partially freeze that roast and then cut it into roughly 2/3" cubes making sure to cut against the grain while breaking it down. Hot sear and braise extra low and slow, preferably in a heavy enameled cast iron pot or dutch oven. Use butter to make a roux and then strain and add your pan juices to make a gravy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I appreciate all the tips and suggestions. I thought I should report back on how it turned out. Unfortunately I forgot to take pics.

I cooked the Eye of Round roast (3 pounds) in an Instant Pot on high pressure for 60 minutes, then added in the potatoes and carrots and cooked on high pressure for another 30 minutes. (Instant Pot had 2 cups of beef broth and a pack of Lipton onion soup mix in it.)

Took it out, let it cool, and then put it in the fridge overnight. Saved the broth and juices.

The next day, I sliced the roast across the grain at +/- 1/2” thickness, put the slices in a Pyrex dish, skimmed the grease of the juices and poured the juices over the slices, covered with foil and heated on 350 for about an hour.

Came out very tasty and reasonably tender and wasn’t too dry. Potatoes and carrots were great.

The next day, I shredded up the remaining roast by hand and used it for roast beef tacos, and those were tasty too.

Top Bottom