• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Spent 200 rounds on the 50-yard spot at the range (Bracken) yesterday, and the weather was hot and sunny with a very slight breeze blowing right-to-left across the firing lanes.

Mechanically, my new M&P15 is flawless. I was using one MagPul 30-round magazine, and one metal 30-round magazine. The first round I chambered was a little sticky going in, but firing the weapon cured that issue. All 100 rounds fired, and all 100 casings ejected without issue. I inspected the spent casings for deformities caused by the chamber/eject process, and found none. When ejected, the both magazines fell from the mag well without any apparent binding.

I postioned the windage aperture at center, and began shooting. I was firing 3-shot groups to get it sighted in. At Bracken, they put up four targets per firing line position, and I fired a three-shot group at each bullseye. Each group fell into about a 2-inch circle that as 5 inches right and 2 inches up. To get the windage correct, I had to move the aperature about half-way between center and full left. It looks to me like either the front sight is off, or the MagPul rear sight is off. It should not have been that radical of an adhjustment at 50 yards, especially considering the slight breeze should have pushed the round in the OTHER direction. To answer the sight problem, a friend of mine is loaning me a laser bore-sighter, so I'm leaving this as a "Hmmm", rather than a "goddammit".

After getting sighted in, I fired two full magazines in at a rapid enough rate of fire that wouldn't get the attention of the range master - about one round every second (Bracken has a no-rapid-fire rule). The barrel became so hot that I couldn't touch it, and the handguard was approaching realm of being uncomfortably warm. It looks like I'm going to have to consider using gloves if I spend any considerable time at the range with this rifle.

Overall, I really like the weapon, and would ENTHUSIASTICALLY recommend it to anyone searching out a factory-built AR-15.

Planned upgrades include a Troy industries rear flip-up sight, and a Yankee Hill gas block/flip-up front (with sling swivel but without a bayonet lug), a trigger guard that allows use of gloves, and maybe a MagPul AFG. I haven't decided whether or not to get a scope for it, but if I do, it won't be any of the "big names' because I simply can't afford one of those, and I won't be using it often because I actually prefer iron sights.

Note: Another shooter at the range said he'd just recently heard about this rifle, and after seeing, handling and shooting mine, had pretty much talked himself into getting one. (He liked the dark earth furniture, too.)
    Gun Zone Deals

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is yours a MOE version?

Yes.

mp15_02.JPG

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well, I'm holding off on getting a new front sight until I get a bore sighter to check out what I already have. HOWEVER, I did order a Vortex flash suppressor, a front sight wrench, and the MS2 sling kit from Brownells.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I like the MOE's. I have a M&P 15 Tactical. The first one they made with TROY gear. Its been a great duty rifle, but HEAVY. I am thinking about buying a DDM4.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    It is pretty heavy - heavier than I expected it to be - and all the weight is at the front (barrel), making it uncomfortable to carry with one hand. I figure the MS2 sling setup will cure that problem.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'll be interested to hear what you find with the bore sight. My AR also requires a fair amount of windage adjustment to get to center. About 1/4 of the way to the right. Not as much as you describe but still noticeable. But when I very carefully check that with at bore sight (held in a vice) the bore sight does not match up to the sights that have been regulated to POI. I've not shot mine at longer than 50 yards, but it has been consistent with various bullet weights and ammo manufacturers.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nice. I thought this was the one CDNN had for $600....damn, yours looks so much better.

Mine cost $1292 after tax (we got it locally in an effort to support a small local gun store). You can probably build a comparable AR for about the same money as you would spend on the one from CDNN, and just use the same furniture that's on the MOE. BTW, all the furniture is magpul, and it's available in black, olive drab, or dark earth (like mine). I'm seriously considering having the furniture camo dipped, and probably using camo wrap on the magazines.

Tyrannosullyrex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Houston
    Wow, I got my M&P15 (MOE) for $850 at the gun show here in Houston (and the five free mags which took forever to get) late last year, I understand supporting the LGS, but damn.

It's a damn nice gun, I have 2K or so rounds through mine with no problems whatsoever.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I know, and it really hurts to buy locally due to the prices that have to sell them for. I'm sure many new gun owners go to someplace like Academy, Bass Pro, or Dick's without ever concidering the little gu stores in their own neighborhoods, and that's why there are so damn few of them left. Without the little guys, we'd hacve to wait weeks for even the simplest of gunsmithing services at the big outlet stores.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow, I got my M&P15 (MOE) for $850 at the gun show here in Houston (and the five free mags which took forever to get) late last year, I understand supporting the LGS, but damn.

It's a damn nice gun, I have 2K or so rounds through mine with no problems whatsoever.

BTW, did you have to adjust the windage very far on yours to get it to shoot straight?

Top Bottom