• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    The test is simple: fire a prescribed number of rounds through the pistol without a magazine inserted. In the 10-8 1911 Function test, we shoot 16 rounds this way. Eight are fired two handed and eight more are fired strong hand only.
    The empty cases must properly eject between 2 o’clock and 5 o’clock. If any cases go forward, to the left, stovepipe, into your face, or fall through the magazine well, the pistol has failed this test.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I did that 10-8 extractor test before. All it did was further **** up my extractor and make jams happen more often, IIRC lol.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I did that 10-8 extractor test before. All it did was further **** up my extractor and make jams happen more often, IIRC lol.

37980130.jpg

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station

That's because the extractor is not meant to force itself over the rim of the round after its in the chamber. Most of the extractors I have had to replace have been on guns that people load a full mag and then chamber their gun without using the mag and bending their extractor from doing this over and over.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Now if you take the mag and put a single round in it use that to chamber the round and then drop the mag, then that is fine but I will not release the slide on a chambered round.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Now if you take the mag and put a single round in it use that to chamber the round and then drop the mag, then that is fine but I will not release the slide on a chambered round.

I didn't release the slide on a chambered round, that is stupid lol. I chambered one round using a mag and then dropped the mag. Once you fire, the round extracts and then slams home on an empty chamber, as there is no mag to lock it back.

To be honest, I kind of expected it to do more harm than good to my extractor, but I had the backing of Springfield armory whom I knew would take care of me. I was already having problems before I did the test, they just became more common after it.

Thankfully Springfield Armory warrantied my gun and fixed all issues and I had my gun back in 8 days, no dime out of my pocket except for what I spent on tape to wrap the package and the gas I used to get to the FedEx center.

Last edited:

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I didn't release the slide on a chambered round, that is stupid lol. I chambered one round using a mag and then dropped the mag. Once you fire, the round extracts and then slams home on an empty chamber, as there is no mag to lock it back.

To be honest, I kind of expected it to do more harm than good to my extractor, but I had the backing of Springfield armory whom I knew would take care of me. I was already having problems before I did the test, they just became more common after it.

Thankfully Springfield Armory warrantied my gun and fixed all issues and I had my gun back in 8 days, no dime out of my pocket except for what I spent on tape to wrap the package and the gas I used to get to the FedEx center.

Paging Jared91. Jared91, are you there?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Like I said, this test sounds stupid and I will not put any of my 1911s through it. I would be happy to shoot several boxes of ammo through them though, but only as the firearm was intended to operate - with a freaking magazine.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Like I said, this test sounds stupid and I will not put any of my 1911s through it. I would be happy to shoot several boxes of ammo through them though, but only as the firearm was intended to operate - with a freaking magazine.

The point of doing it without the magazine, as is stated on the link above if you had read it, is there is basically nothing left to operate as a crutch in letting the gun have the appearance of extracting and ejecting properly. Depending on fitment and sizing of the extractor and ejector, as well as depending on fitment, sizing and the height of the magazine sitting in the frame, among probably a few other factors, the magazine can sometimes interfere with extraction/ejection. With it removed, at that point, it is all ejector and all extractor, which is the whole point. But clearly you know more than Hilton Yam.

Jakash, as far as your Springfield, the whole dropping the slide on an empty chamber thing is pretty much a non-issue with modern 1911's nowadays. If an extractor was improperly fitted/sized from the factory, I could see how it could possibly be an issue, but not with a properly fitted one.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Hey guys, let me test run my engine with half the plug wires disconnected! That will prove whose engine is better and more reliable!

There is no such thing as "the appearance of extracting and ejecting properly." Either it cycles, or it doesn't. It's a simple concept. I don't need to read the article to know it's some bullshit test.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    But clearly you know more than Hilton Yam.

Butthurt much?

I never claimed to know more than Hilton Yam. I have no idea who that is, nor do I care who he is. I know my 1911s do not fail, so what more is there? Oh that's right: I need to do the 10-8 Performance Extractor Test so I can tell my friends that my gun is better than theirs.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Next you will be asking us to do the 11-9 Firing Pin test where we remove the firing pin from the slide, then hit it on the primer of a live round with a hammer, to make sure there is basically nothing left to operate as a crutch in letting the gun have the appearance of firing properly. :rolleyes:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Next you will be asking us to do the 11-9 Firing Pin test where we remove the firing pin from the slide, then hit it on the primer of a live round with a hammer, to make sure there is basically nothing left to operate as a crutch in letting the gun have the appearance of firing properly. :rolleyes:
    Chill more dude.

The folks who recommend this test simply have more experience producing quality 1911s than you do or will ever gain.

If YOU don't want to do the test I understand. But to dismiss the whole idea because you don't see the value in it or understand why or how is immature at best, extravagant and stupid at worse.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom