Target Sports

Does anyone else pre-load their mags before heading to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you pre-load your mags before going to the range?

• Yes, saves time, and time is money.

Votes: 40 78.4%
    • No, I just load at the bench/booth.

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Am I the only one that pre-loads mags before going to the range? I feel like loading at the booth, or bench kind of disturbs my rhythm, and I spend less time shooting because I'm reloading constantly. Yet, I see it every time I go, guys with their maglula, just standing there loading round after round instead of shooting. Shoot for 30 seconds, then spend 2 minutes loading, repeat...

So before I head to the range I usually load 10-20 mags (depending on my goals that trip), and I'm ready to go as soon as I enter the range. I can get in my reps, and I'm out in less than 30-40 minutes.

View attachment 347983
    In case anyone wants to load mags faster check out the Warrior Poet Society video on speed loaders from ETS Group. I have the pistol and rifle reloading devices. Saves a lot time as I have reload in between time as range safety officer and shooting the match.

And as discussed on this forum once loaded don't unload mags unless shooting. Springs last forever compressed.

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    In case anyone wants to load mags faster check out the Warrior Poet Society video on speed loaders from ETS Group. I have the pistol and rifle reloading devices. Saves a lot time as I have reload in between time as range safety officer and shooting the match.
    I have a set of these in most calibers I shoot. Wonderful for ammo coming out of a box and still faster with loose ammo than most loaders.

I always pre-load, unless I am out on land shooting (that as Vtach said, is to savor and enjoy). I would rather load in the comfort of my home with my setup than at a range.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    On a brighter note, the longer you're married, the amount of discharges tend to decrease over time.
    Nope, ditched that bitch and traded in on a better model. The current Mrs. No2Gates I'm keeping. The first one was the gun equivalent of a HiPoint. You get it as a starter since you don't know any better.

RossA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Houston, Republic of Texas
    Am I the only one that pre-loads mags before going to the range? I feel like loading at the booth, or bench kind of disturbs my rhythm, and I spend less time shooting because I'm reloading constantly. Yet, I see it every time I go, guys with their maglula, just standing there loading round after round instead of shooting. Shoot for 30 seconds, then spend 2 minutes loading, repeat...

So before I head to the range I usually load 10-20 mags (depending on my goals that trip), and I'm ready to go as soon as I enter the range. I can get in my reps, and I'm out in less than 30-40 minutes.

View attachment 347983
    All of my mags for any gun stay loaded anyway, so it’s not an issue with me.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    there are several that charge by the hour, and a couple that charge per gun, the two ranges I shoot at have an annual membership fee and then you do not have to pay any additional charges for the basic rifle and pistol ranges use for the year, they do have an hourly charge for the "tac bays", but I avoid those and refer to them as the idiot bays due to the crazy things I see people doing there

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I normally carry 3 guns to the range. I go at least 2 times a week and always carry loaded magazines with me. When I get home I clean the guns and reload all the magazines for the next trip. That's just the way I do it. :)
    And I keep all my magazines loaded and keep them in the safe

Kevdonahue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2019
    Austin TX
    I always pre-load my mags before heading off to the range. That way, I get to spend more time shooting and less time with that initial loading. Reload as needed once my shooting session begins. Mags get reloaded at home after the weapons are cleaned and put away.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I keep several mags loaded for each of the "working guns" on hand.
    As for the range, if they charge by the hour, then yes, I load them at home on my time.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    they do have an hourly charge for the "tac bays", but I avoid those and refer to them as the idiot bays due to the crazy things I see people doing there

I'm one of those idiots. I almost exclusively go to a tac bay so I can set up my steel targets and practice moving and shooting and engaging multiple targets. Punching holes in paper over and over gets old.

Top Bottom