Do you now regret your vote for John Cornyn??? Get ready to!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There have been some pretty confusing and messed up discussions on here, and this one is heading for the top of that list really fast.

I do pretty much agree on outlawing murder. Probably should outlaw robbery and such as well.
    Texas SOT

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cornyn is just playing the political game. Republicans introduce a bill to address gun violence, can deflect attacks by Democrats in hotly contested areas about how they don't care about stopping gun violence. It shows more than anything that Cornyn is openly an establishment RINO.

Bingo, RINO, that should be enough not to vote for him.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    You see, I've emailed Cornyn directly. All I get back are these nice little canned messages about Cornyn being pro second amendment. Go to his website and he has a nice little propoganda page about being a Texas sportsmen with all of the typical pandering to gun owners. The NAGR now has a membership equal to or greater than the NRA's. And why??? We're not hearing about this from the NRA because Cornyn got their A+ rating. The NAGR doesn't give a damn about the NRA's rating system because Harry Reid was given the same rating during his last election.

So Cornyn gives us his 2nd amendment propoganda while he is working as a co-sponsor of a bill that will do the Abomination's bidding. Look and see if there's is any mention of it on his website!!! Frickin' Google all you want, you'll end up right back to Cornyn's propoganda.

Cornyn's not a RINO??? Did he support the Cruz fillibuster to stop Barry Satoro's irresponsible budget and put an end to Abomination Care? NO, he even voted with his RINO buddies aligned with the democommies to pass the budget and give full implementation of Abomination Care that's taking us towards the slippery slope of bankruptcy. How's that for a fiscal conservative??? He promised that Abomination Care could be dealt with by continuing resolutions in the senate, but the RINOs haven't even made the attempt. Cornyn lied and used continuing resolutions as propoganda for those that can't see through to the RINO he is.

Now consider that Cornyn is a former justice. We have laws on the books to deal with the mentally ill. It's called due process and doctors are responsible for putting those that pose a danger to society into the legal system to be judged accordingly. So Cornyn's legislation will throw constitutional law out the window. Any person who has been treated for amental health issue will be thrown under the bus and right into the fed's expanded database where they will then decide who is and who isn't sane enough to own a firearm. There will be no special rights granted to veterans. Those treated for post traumatic stress disorder will have their mental health records turned over from the US Military to the US Injustice department that's lead today by a man who should be in prison.

Welcome to global statism 101 friends. We have the liberals to thank and today the democratic party is nothing more than the former American Communist party. The RINOs have sold out to them and all you need do is to look at how the RNC is dealing with Tea Party Patriots.

For those of you who get it, help get the word out. We need to contact every Texan we've put into elected office and let them know our opposition to yet another National Gun Registry Scheme!

Last edited:

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    I don't really trust NAGR, I've heard some some things about them and the Colorado recall that makes me think their leadership is a bit shady.

That being said I agree about Cornyn's canned responses. In the aftermath of Sandy Hook they didn't fill me with confidence about how he would vote. IMO he isn't a true believer in what the 2nd amendment stands for, I bet if he thought it would be beneficial for his career he would probably compromise on our rights sometime in the future.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    I didn't say that they did. I know full-well that Klebold feloniously purchased his in a straw purchase made by and then from a friend. In Lanza's case, he feloniously stole them from his mother who had lawfully purchased and kept them. I never stated otherwise. What I was stating was that both of those individuals were either at the margins of mentally ill or actually mentally ill and a proper system should be in place that would not allow them to purchase if they tried. Most states are currently struggling with the issue of how much mental health information should be made available into the NICS system in order to protect the integrity of the NICS system and also balancing that with not being overly intrusive and preventing folks who should be able to purchase and possess from doing so.

Thank you for clarifying that, when I read it yesterday it seemed ambiguous to me, re reading it it is less so.

The problem with "mentally ill shouldn't have guns" is that it is entirely too loosely defined and subjective. On top of that we add in the predicting how any particular person will react to that "mental illness" we enter into a completely grey area, of criminalizing (you take away rights from criminals, citizens do not earn rights, they have them) a person for what they might do. It is better to apply the criminal "justice" system to a person for what they did do.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    where I quibble with the bill that Cornyn is reputed to be preparing to introduce is that it cuts too deep in which names to include into the system. Persons adjudged mentally defective NEED to be in there, but a lot of other folks seeking help should not be. I think this will come to light during debate and I'd like to read the actual bill once it gets brought forward.

Mentally defective?? another vague and flabby term, what is mentally defective? Before we start talking about criminalizing these people we need a solid objective definition of normal with a with a well defined border outside which we can take rights away.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Mentally defective?? another vague and flabby term, what is mentally defective? Before we start talking about criminalizing these people we need a solid objective definition of normal with a with a well defined border outside which we can take rights away.

The necessary tool is simple: Due Process that we are afforded by the US Constitution. People who are deranged to the point of being a danger to society and not responsible enough to own firearms should be adjudicated by a court of their peers, or at least a judge. Do we really want Eric "Fast and Furious" Holder to make that determination??? Why isn't there more pressure being applied to these physicians that have assessed a patient and given them a free pass to go on and commit unspeakable acts???

Another thing about the canned messages. Not ONCE did any of the Cornyn staffers that replied with the canned messages offer any evidence to the contrary. It doesn't matter what you think about the NAGR or what I think about the NRA. If there is no substance to the allegations, Cornyn's staffers would be stating such, don't you think???

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    vote republican, that will teach 'em....

oh wait...

Bingo, RINO, that should be enough not to vote for him.

sadly, he will probably get re-elected once the election-time fear mongering and "lesser of 2 evils" nonsense starts up.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The necessary tool is simple: Due Process that we are afforded by the US Constitution. People who are deranged to the point of being a danger to society and not responsible enough to own firearms should be adjudicated by a court of their peers, or at least a judge. Do we really want Eric "Fast and Furious" Holder to make that determination??? Why isn't there more pressure being applied to these physicians that have assessed a patient and given them a free pass to go on and commit unspeakable acts???

Another thing about the canned messages. Not ONCE did any of the Cornyn staffers that replied with the canned messages offer any evidence to the contrary. It doesn't matter what you think about the NAGR or what I think about the NRA. If there is no substance to the allegations, Cornyn's staffers would be stating such, don't you think???

You think there will be a reasonable definition of "mentally deranged"?

There are lots of people in Washington who would claim we are not mentally capable of owning a firearm simply because we believe it's our right.

And lets not even get in to the obvious future of any such definition in the hands of these fools. That reasonable medium would creep further and further to the left in its definition and implementation.

You can't see the future, and you can't stop every person. Each new act would e another brick to be stacked on the wall between us and our rights. Another "loop hole" they would have to close "for the children".

I'm still waiting to hear which of the recent shooting this would have prevented. Which one got a free pass from a physician?

Seems like your solution is to give up out rights before they take them away.

As to the NAGR, I have absolutely no trust in them. I've seen nothing that they e actually accomplished. They seem to send spam mail bashing every other vetted group, then they ask for money.

Where does that money go? What is it used for? Haven't seen them in any court battles.

Fun fact. Local range was ties up in a crooked court battle against a developer. NAGR finally contacted them after multiple request for help an asks that they STOP CALLING AND REQUEST THAT THEY TELL OTHERS TO STOP CALLING.

It wasn't settled until Senator Byrdwell got involved. Check the FB page for Chandlers Gun Range if you don't believe me.

My feelings are that NAGR does nothing more than send inflammatory emails and begs for donations while doing the minimum to protect or increase gun rights. I'm very suspicious of the claim of their membership numbers, maybe they claim everybody on their spam list is a member....

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

We don't find folks "normal" in our society. Folks are normal until they are found "mentally incompetent". And this definition already exists and Courts of Law perform this action on occasion. They need to do it more frequently, like they used to before funding for mental health institutions dried up in the last twenty to thirty years. A competency hearing IS due process. You may not like it and you may disagree with it, but that is the way it is supposed to work. I'm NOT talking about looking at everyone who ever went to counseling and calling them mentally defective, so don't put words in my mouth.

The fact is, there are legal definitions in each of the fifty states that are used in courts of law to determine mental competency and mental illness. It used to be that folks found mentally deficient were institutionalized and thus, society was protected from them. Now we have the vast majority of those institutions closed down and unfunded and a LOT of very sick folks walking the streets. Which is part of why we have such a mental health crisis in this country.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We don't find folks "normal" in our society. Folks are normal until they are found "mentally incompetent". And this definition already exists and Courts of Law perform this action on occasion. They need to do it more frequently, like they used to before funding for mental health institutions dried up in the last twenty to thirty years. A competency hearing IS due process. You may not like it and you may disagree with it, but that is the way it is supposed to work. I'm NOT talking about looking at everyone who ever went to counseling and calling them mentally defective, so don't put words in my mouth.

The fact is, there are legal definitions in each of the fifty states that are used in courts of law to determine mental competency and mental illness. It used to be that folks found mentally deficient were institutionalized and thus, society was protected from them. Now we have the vast majority of those institutions closed down and unfunded and a LOT of very sick folks walking the streets. Which is part of why we have such a mental health crisis in this country.

We also used to "heal" those people by hooking electrodes to their head and flipping the switch on or scooping out a chunk of their brain.

Again, they are playing fast and loose with the definition of mental incompetence lately. States have definitions, what happens when the Feds come up with a new definition and require more reporting?

If you trust them with making "common sense" laws regarding these situations you have not been paying attention.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    We also used to "heal" those people by hooking electrodes to their head and flipping the switch on or scooping out a chunk of their brain.

Again, they are playing fast and loose with the definition of mental incompetence lately. States have definitions, what happens when the Feds come up with a new definition and require more reporting?

If you trust them with making "common sense" laws regarding these situations you have not been paying attention.

I'm not recommending anything with regards to how to properly treat mental illness once diagnosed, beyond having them institutionalized as necessary. I am not a psychiatrist and, most likely, neither are you. No one is playing fast and loose here. I'm saying that states should already be doing what they have been required to do since the NICS system was pioneered--enter the names of folks who are found by a court of law to be mentally ill and thus, under federal law, not legally allowed to purchase or possess firearms. When states don't make such entries, then NICS loses a LOT of its utility.

Speaking as an attorney, licensed to the bar for twenty two years and as a current Texas peace officer for the last eighteen years, The NICS system is invaluable. We can argue about PTSD, kids with ADD/ADHD, people at the fringes, etc., all day long; however, I'm talking about folks who've been found to be mentally defective by a competent court acting within its jurisdiction having made a finding and then insuring that that information always gets to the NICS system. And I'm also talking about not passing the buck regarding patient dumping of truly mentally ill individuals onto the streets simply because there are no institutions for them because they're shut down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Read most oth posts in this thread until I got tired of the rantyness.
    The op talks about all this stuff a then throws in things that can't reall be verified online.

The dems are trying to turn texas blue. How? A good start is smearing the Republican who has the best chance of winning on boards like this.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    You think there will be a reasonable definition of "mentally deranged"?

I'm still waiting to hear which of the recent shooting this would have prevented. Which one got a free pass from a physician?

Seems like your solution is to give up out rights before they take them away.

As to the NAGR, I have absolutely no trust in them. I've seen nothing that they e actually accomplished. They seem to send spam mail bashing every other vetted group, then they ask for money.

Where does that money go? What is it used for? Haven't seen them in any court battles.

Fun fact. Local range was ties up in a crooked court battle against a developer. NAGR finally contacted them after multiple request for help an asks that they STOP CALLING AND REQUEST THAT THEY TELL OTHERS TO STOP CALLING.

It wasn't settled until Senator Byrdwell got involved. Check the FB page for Chandlers Gun Range if you don't believe me.

My feelings are that NAGR does nothing more than send inflammatory emails and begs for donations while doing the minimum to protect or increase gun rights. I'm very suspicious of the claim of their membership numbers, maybe they claim everybody on their spam list is a member....

If I'm not mistaken, a competency trial includes examination of the subject by independent pshychiatrists who then provide the court their assessment.

Both the Sandy Hook and the Denver Theater shooters had been in the mental health system. Had they been adjudicated mentally incompetent, at least treatment would have been mandated by the verdict. In one particular case, a psychiatrist was heavily criticized by the media because she had failed to let society know the danger her patient was.

"Seems like your solution is to give up out rights before they take them away."

How did you arrive at that misconception? My solution is to simply follow the constitution. Each state has its own laws about adjudicating the mentally incompetent. First, the physician has to make the assessment. Before that patient can simply be tagged as mentally incompetent, he is entitled to due process by the US Constitution. The system in place works, it's just not being utilized. No doubt there would be more patients in state mental hospitals, so it is most likely a funding issue. BUT, it costs taxpayers money to keep felons behind bars, doesn't it??? How many violent crimes have been perpetrated by those who slipped through the legal system. Only in recent years have we seen stiffer sentences handed down to felons who used a firearm in the commision of their crimes. In the democommie mind, the easier solution is to take firearms out of society regardless of the system's failures. The point is, just as a convicted felon, a person judged mentally incompetent goes right into our current background check system. So do we need to expand the background check system, or simply enforce the laws that are in place???

What the Cornyn/Graham legislation proposes is for states to hand over mental health records with the military doing the same where the injustice department will be able to strip these people of their gun rights without DUE PROCESS. It will be further aided by Abomination Care where physicians will required to turn informant and report anyone who is getting mental health treatment. Whether it's simple depression that may have resulted from the bereavament after the loss of a loved one to full blown psychosis, the ultimate arbitor will be the injustice department. Then we'll have even greater abuses by our government where the likely result will be many more Americans being put into the mental health system by law enforcement because it's a sure means of stripping even more Americans of their gun rights, and without constitutional DUE PROCESS!

As far as the NAGR, you're certainly not the first person to give such an opinion and early on I was skeptical myself. But, ask yourself this, has the NAGR ever endorsed a democommie like Harry Reid and the others that voted for greater gun control just last April??? What they do is lobby and run campaign ads in the media. They're also the first to report such things as soon as they become aware of them like what Cornyn and Graham are cooking up, serving their global statist masters. When a politician/patriot like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul defend our second amendment freedoms, the NAGR notifies its membership just as they do abuses of the constitution. What you seem to know about the NAGR appears to be much less than what you don't know. The only other gun rights advocacy group I've ever seen them be critical of is the NRA for doing things like endorsing democommies like Harry Reid with their A+ rating on gun rights related issues and Reid is but one of many as evidenced by the voting record from last April's senate battle. The NAGR is also critical of the NRA for not informing us of looming issues such as the topic of discussion. Ultimately, the NRA's greatest advocacy is for firearms and ammunition manufacturers that contribute more than their membership does. Until there is a threat to these manufacturers the NRA are typically found sitting on their asses or they're out on the Golf Course/Watering Hole lobbying circuit. By the time the NRA addresses the Cornyn/Graham scheme we'll likely be seeing an attempt to pass such legislation. By being informed by the NAGR as soon as they catch wind of it, we can bombard Cornyn with emails that could even prevent him from cosponsoring such legislation, especially when he realizes his government stipend may hang in the balance.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    A good start is smearing the Republican who has the best chance of winning on boards like this.
    Sadly winning alone not always good for the conservative cause if the winner votes with the liberal agenda, the GOP has a
    rino problem, McCain Graham, Boehner, McConnell and Cornyn just to mention a few. Must vote them out to make a change.!!

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Sadly winning alone not always good for the conservative cause if the winner votes with the liberal agenda, the GOP has a
    rino problem, McCain Graham, Boehner, McConnell and Cornyn just to mention a few. Must vote them out to make a change.!!

Steve Stockman is a strong constitutionalist. He has given up his seat in the house to run against the RINO Cornyn. RINO's believe we will rubber-stamp them because they know we will NOT vote for a democommie. What we need is reform of the republican party and that will only happen by sending more Tea Party Patriots to Washington.

We need to get the word out, obviously a good number of members right here aren't aware that Cornyn in fact supported Abomination Care. As the republican comittee chairman in the senate he sent a letter to every republican senator asking them to go along where later, a good number of them could vote for the budget's passage that gave full implementation of Abomination Care. Then as a matter of record, these RINOs could actually go on record as voting against the budget/Abomination Care while they could have killed it in the senate long before it was affixed to the last irresponsible budget. This is typical of how Cornyn operates in the senate. BTW, the NAGR are not the only ones reporting on the proposed Cornyn/Graham legislation. I've been contacted by several congressman reporting the same.

Steve Stockman for senate 2014! We've got to make this happen! Cornyn is a proven RINO and our cause will be truly represented and defended by Stockman who has the support of the Tea Party Patriot movement.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    Now I've got to go learn more about stockman. Thanks for this post!

Read up about Dwayne Stovall aswell, I think he would be a better choice than Stockman, but in either case make sure to vote against Cornyn in the primary.

Dwayne Stovall, Republican candidate for US Senate in 2014, representing the great State of Texas

IMO Stovall has pretty much the same conservative positions as Stockman, except he doesn't have all the negative baggage Stockman has, such as money troubles, badly run campaign, and other eccentricities.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom