• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I was thinking yesterday what it would be like if everyone could vote in both primaries and what effect it would have on the candidates. Not saying it's a good idea, it would just be interesting to see them having to win over both sides to get a nomination for their party. Hell, even if the non party votes counted half it would be interesting.
    Wouldn't crossover (D to R or R to D) vote just go to whomever the crossover vote thought was weakest?
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any idea what the reasoning behind the change was then? If so, does that seem like the true reason or just a facade for something else?
    Hermaphrodites have been recognized as a phenomena or a third sex as long as there has been recorded history and before. Attitudes varied but their existence wasn't disputed.

The term "intersex" dates back to about WWI when a researcher decided that there were so many different ways a person could be a hermaphrodite that it wasn't really fair to just call them one specific-sounding term. He called the whole phenomena of having genetic blurring of this sort (and, yeah, some people would be offended by that but I'm simplifying for the sake of time) "intersexuality" and thought that people should be considered individually, according to exactly how their body deviated from average. This didn't catch on. The term hermaphrodite persisted, often with various modifiers.

In the 1940s, though, a very well-respected researcher and doctor in London again proposed that "intersex" was better than "hermaphrodite". His thinking was that the use of hermaphrodite to designate a third sex was way oversimplified, so much so that it was simply an error and there really was no such thing as a hermaphrodite. There were people with a range of problems requiring individual diagnosis and treatment and he felt "hermaphrodite" pigeonholed them and prevented them from getting proper treatment. So he suggested, again, that the term "intersex" would be better. He was much more influential and his proposal gained more acceptance.

From what I can tell, these researchers were motivated by sincere desires to help people with problems. They didn't want their patients stigmatized by what they viewed as imprecise language.

My research peters out (and I have had this discussion with people who have severe endocrine problems, enough that they could be classified as intersex) when it comes to the more recent emergence of the term in popular culture. I don't know if there's a political agenda behind it or if a better medical term is simply seeping into the popular consciousness.

I guess I'd have to talk with a few recently-minted endocrinologists to understand it better and, even then, I doubt I'd learn much unless they happened to have a particular interest in the history of their specialty.

As for me, I'm comfortable with using "intersex". I don't think it's a big deal either way but I know some people are really hurt by the term hermaphrodite and I try not to hurt peoples feelings for no good reason. I certainly don't mind hurting peoples feelings but in this case it just doesn't seem necessary.

Still, as I said, my ears are old and the term still sounds odd to me.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

At the Mexico City Olympic Games a 21YO, STUNNING-looking (& married) brunette, athlete from South America was prohibited from competing with the women, as she was found to have undescended testicles, as well as the "normal complement of female organs".

It doesn't happen often but occasionally a girl-child is born that is XXY or more rarely XYY.
    (Generally such children are reportedly "surgically modified" & raised as females.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    The polls I've seen show that the majority of Dems want the party to become more moderate so I don't think the number of people who hate the republic is nearly that high. I think it was something like 60% thing the Dem party has gone too far to the left. We just have politicians more interested in pandering to twitter than the public and the nature of the primaries puts the extreme at the fore front. They're all liars anyways except maybe Bernie and Yeng.

Perhaps but who in that nitwit party will actually do the voting? We also can't trust polls. Granted, just my opinion but I think DNC leadership will attack Joe and he will be gone. Did you see the results from the viewing audience? Highest amount ever in a Democrat debate. Bernie ain't a liar? He most definitely flip flopped last night when asked by the moderator about his 2013 statement on gun control being a state's rights issued. He then refused to acknowledge that statement.

You know why Trump does not wear glasses? Cuz he's got 2020! Well folks on the fence will need to come out to vote for that to happen. Hell, we've seen a silent coup already (granted it failed) but who is to say DNC leadership ain't cooking Plan C up now?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I had dinner with 2 people earlier this week that didn't vote for Trump in 16 but they damn sure will in 2020. There are probably a lot of conservatives in that position.

orbitup,

I suspect that, regardless of which candidate is finally nominated by the DIMs, President Trump will "wipe up the floor" with that DIMocRAT. - Chances are, that the US Senate & the HoR will both have NUMEROUS gains for the GOP.
    (Fwiw, I play dominoes twice each week at a senior's center here in SA & KNOW numerous men/women players, who say that they have LEFT the DIMocRATS Party forever.)

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The walkway thing is cool but how big is it really?
    Last I saw it hit 200,000 members, but then it's only been in existence for a year now. With the media and far left getting more and more out of control, I believe they may get a flood of members before 2020.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The walkway thing is cool but how big is it really?

orbitup,

Evidently the "walk away" from the DIMocRATS is LARGE, as the MSU Public Policy Center noted before Christmas 2018 that , "Thousands of Democrats are leaving their former Party each month to be Independents, Libertarians, Green Party members or have joined the GOP."

Personally, in our neighborhood there are numerous people that I know here, who are NO longer "yellow dog Democrats" & who have said that they will either NOT vote at all or will vote for DJT in 2020.
    (Our city is predominantly Roman Catholic & the majority of Catholics are OFFENDED by the attacks on their religious faith by the DIMs.)

yours, satx

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    I hope the across the board focus on illegals was as obvious to the Democratic voters as it was to everyone else. And, the health care plan they all supported just a few years ago "Obama Care" needs to be changed again. All the candidates want a new plan.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I hope the across the board focus on illegals was as obvious to the Democratic voters as it was to everyone else. And, the health care plan they all supported just a few years ago "Obama Care" needs to be changed again. All the candidates want a new plan.

Inspector43,

Inasmuch as the DIMs are 2 dozen LOSERS, I cannot get excited about the FOOLISHNESS that they claim to support/oppose. = NONE of the announced candidates has a prayer of defeating DJT & the "smarter DP members/donors" are well aware of that FACT.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The further left these candidates go is further from the moderate democrats they get, which means that to many moderates they feel closer to the conservatives. Many are unsure who they will vote for, if they vote at all.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've already deleted my recording so can someone help me? Did Swalwell say "Keep your pistols and shotguns." followed by a statement that he wanted to ban assault rifles? Or did he say assault weapons?

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I've already deleted my recording so can someone help me? Did Swalwell say "Keep your pistols and shotguns." followed by a statement that he wanted to ban assault rifles? Or did he say assault weapons?
    Yeah he did say that. I can't recall if it was assault rifles or weapons but he wants a US wide forced "buy back" as if the govt. Has ever owned any of my firearms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

benenglish,

Personally, I couldn't watch/listen to that bunch of FAR LEFT LOSERS, w/o danger of GAGGING.

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Perhaps but who in that nitwit party will actually do the voting? We also can't trust polls. Granted, just my opinion but I think DNC leadership will attack Joe and he will be gone. Did you see the results from the viewing audience? Highest amount ever in a Democrat debate. Bernie ain't a liar? He most definitely flip flopped last night when asked by the moderator about his 2013 statement on gun control being a state's rights issued. He then refused to acknowledge that statement.

You know why Trump does not wear glasses? Cuz he's got 2020! Well folks on the fence will need to come out to vote for that to happen. Hell, we've seen a silent coup already (granted it failed) but who is to say DNC leadership ain't cooking Plan C up now?

I didn’t see anything on viewers, but I also know it’s the first Dem debate I’ve ever bothered to watch so I doubt those numbers were boosted by hard core lefties alone. They would be the normal viewers.

Flip flopping, no doubt. Bernie probably can’t remember what he said the night before much less in 2013. If Bernie was willing to lie to get elected he would be far more electable, lol. He is a nut case that really believes the crap he says. At least most of it.

Hell, why else would he have flat out admitted he wants to jack taxes for the middle class he thinks he needs to save?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wouldn't crossover (D to R or R to D) vote just go to whomever the crossover vote thought was weakest?

Maybe. With half value votes I don’t think they would carry enough weight to carry the weakest candidate and I don’t think there would be enough cohesion in the opposition block even at full value unless the race was fairly tight.

Or they might vote for the most moderate of the opposing side. If that were the case then it would force candidates to move towards the center or put those who were more moderate at an advantage.

I wouldn’t care for it in practice because I wouldn’t want a bunch of Dems pushing some Rino on to the republican ticket. Just something that crossed my mind considering how far the left has shifted in the last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom