• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Tough to make a 400 yd shot with a 45-70.
    Only if you’re you.;) And 400 yards is an impossible shot for 99% of the public that have guns/optics capable of ethically making that shot. The reason; no place to actually practice at that distance. Almost all shooting ranges are 100 yards.

I have never had to stretch a shot that far on an elk. 200 is easy peasy with the right load and realistically you should be able to get them well under that. Bow hunters take them at 25 yards all the time as do hand gunners.

400 yard shots are more of a testament to great marksmanship than it is to hunting.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    400 yds is an every day thing in CO, WY, MT, CA and some others. The guys I hunt with make 250-400 yd shots every year.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Only if you’re you.;) And 400 yards is an impossible shot for 99% of the public that have guns/optics capable of ethically making that shot. The reason; no place to actually practice at that distance. Almost all shooting ranges are 100 yards.

I have never had to stretch a shot that far on an elk. 200 is easy peasy with the right load and realistically you should be able to get them well under that. Bow hunters take them at 25 yards all the time as do hand gunners.

400 yard shots are more of a testament to great marksmanship than it is to hunting.
    This is true. I had a designated target shooting spot that stretched to over 350. But definitely under 400. Ended up practicing at 80,100,150,200,250 then 300.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    400 yds is an every day thing in CO, WY, MT, CA and some others. The guys I hunt with make 250-400 yd shots every year.
    Now read what you posted and compare it to what I posted about ability to actually practice at those ranges. What is different in Big Sky country?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Now read what you posted and compare it to what I posted about ability to actually practice at those ranges. What is different in Big Sky country?

Wide open spaces up there. Def fewer places around here to practice. Where I hunt there is a range to 600 yds.

I had a hard time guaging distance in WY last year. Its further than it looks, and a good rangefinder is a must.

My buddy's first antelope was at 540 yds.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wide open spaces up there. Def fewer places around here to practice. Where I hunt there is a range to 600 yds.

I had a hard time guaging distance in WY last year. Its further than it looks, and a good rangefinder is a must.

My buddy's first antelope was at 540 yds.
    Antelope are a lot spookier than deer/elk and require longer shots. You are fortunate to have a place to stretch out your shots.

At 500 yards you can play music, smoke a cigar, and drunkenly sing Irish pub tunes and a deer will not even pay attention to you, lol.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Antelope are a lot spookier than deer/elk and require longer shots. You are fortunate to have a place to stretch out your shots.

At 500 yards you can play music, smoke a cigar, and drunkenly sing Irish pub tunes and a deer will not even pay attention to you, lol.

In places like WY, its surprisingly close. Its so wide open up there you can see 2,000+ yards. Its weird when I've been
    hunting in Texas where 250 yds is the max shot.

The mulies and antelope often were together, which surprised me. But good grief those antelope can haul ass. Its quite a sight to see 40 antelope running across the rolling hills together.

KBG

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2019
    Florida
    I personally wouldn't choose a 25-06. Simply because I believe a 270 will do everything a 25 can do and more. For just deer a 25-06 or a 243 would work great. But you mentioned possible elk. I would say stick to basic popular hunting calibers. (308,270,30-06) ammo is available, effective, and relatively cheap considering the firepower you get out of them.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Any of the big names will treat ya right.

Finding elk and shot placement are the biggest factors.

Yep. Taking that into consideration and the number of good bolt rifles on the market in either one, I’d consider the cost and availability of ammo a significant factor in the equation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom