Not open for further replies.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Only if you’re you.;) And 400 yards is an impossible shot for 99% of the public that have guns/optics capable of ethically making that shot. The reason; no place to actually practice at that distance. Almost all shooting ranges are 100 yards.

I have never had to stretch a shot that far on an elk. 200 is easy peasy with the right load and realistically you should be able to get them well under that. Bow hunters take them at 25 yards all the time as do hand gunners.

400 yard shots are more of a testament to great marksmanship than it is to hunting.

I shot the only elk I have taken with a bow at about 8 yards.........
    Texas SOT

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    7 Mag will kill any thing in Texas (and other states) and can be devastating on Texas deer with a low charge smaller bullet! It's a great overall caliber for Texas game and other state's big game. My Dad shot a big Colorado elk many years ago and put it down with one shot.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    His Remington 7 mag. was given to him by Mr. Gibson of Gibson Discount Centers in 1962 because he built many of them and had a good relationship. Mr. Gibson was a professional wrestler back when it was all kinda' "fake". He made a great deal of money from that. As I recall, he was a great big dude but as personable as anyone.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    His Remington 7 mag. was given to him by Mr. Gibson of Gibson Discount Centers in 1962 because he built many of them and had a good relationship. Mr. Gibson was a professional wrestler back when it was all kinda' "fake". He made a great deal of money from that. As I recall, he was a great big dude but as personable as anyone.

When I was a kid, I used to LOVE going to Gibson's. It was like Walmart before we ever heard of Walmart.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    When I was a kid, I used to LOVE going to Gibson's. It was like Walmart before we ever heard of Walmart.
    Ditto. In the 70s and 80s, Gibsons was a very interesting store to just go in and browse. You could find stuff you didn't know existed in there. Prices were unbeatable.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loved Gibson's as a child. Can't tell ya how many toy John Deere tractors my mom bought me from that place.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    True. Bunch of the guys at work still hold Remington high.... I try to deviate them gently down another path when I can.

The older stuff is good. Its the newer guns that have a history of problems. I have a 700BDL that was made in the early 70's, and its a great gun.

And plus 1 on Gibsons. I loved going there as kid. My BIL managed the one in Bellmead back in the 70's.

Cagey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2019
    Schertz, Texas
    I understand I'm about to poke the proverbial bear with a stick. But, what is considered a good/great deer gun that could take down an elk? I've never hunted elk before but if the chance ever arose I want something that would do the job. Leaning towards a 270/308.
    There is a good article by John McAdams on Big Game Hunting Blog that addresses the characteristics of both cartridges; providing pro and cons for each. I own weapons in both calibers and really don't see much difference in results. Bullet placement is the key to any successful kill, so I suggest you find a gun range that allows rental of both calibers and shoot them. Also, cartridge selection makes a big difference in energy transferred at point of impact. Here is the link for the above mentioned article (https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/270-vs-30-06/).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is a good article...
    Thanks for trying to be helpful but there's no need to respond to any post by KBG. He was just setting up a profile and making a few posts in an attempt to seem legit. His real purpose was to rip someone off by selling a gun he didn't have.

He's been banned permanently so he couldn't answer you even if he read your answer.

For folks on desktops, banned users will have a line through their name immediately under their avatar to the left side of their posts. On Tapatalk, I have no idea.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom