• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    I’ve seen a lot of baffle strike with dead air cans. Are these exaggerated and I’ll be fine?

OR

Should I avoid getting a dead air suppressor (particularly the sierra 5 keymo).

Thanks!
    Military Camp

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Have you seen them or seen reports on the internet? If you make sure your muzzle device, and mount are secure and the suppressor is concentric to the barrel by verifying with a rod, then you will be fine. Most baffle strikes are due to user error IMO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    Have you seen them or seen reports on the internet? If you make sure your muzzle device, and mount are secure and the suppressor is concentric to the barrel by verifying with a rod, then you will be fine. Most baffle strikes are due to user error IMO.

I’m along the same line of thinking. Thanks!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I have witnessed a few baffle strikes with DA cans. A wolverine, a sandman s (iirc) and a nomad i think. I think they aren't able to control the QC of their subcontractor. That and their inability to reliably stock certain adapters/mounts kills any interest i had. I did see a sierra 5 in a dealers case, brand new that had loose baffles.

I'll stick to surefire, literally the best all around performer for a GP 5.56 can. There's also YHM, OCM, AEM, etc

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have witnessed a few baffle strikes with DA cans. A wolverine, a sandman s (iirc) and a nomad i think. I think they aren't able to control the QC of their subcontractor. That and their inability to reliably stock certain adapters/mounts kills any interest i had. I did see a sierra 5 in a dealers case, brand new that had loose baffles.

I'll stick to surefire, literally the best all around performer for a GP 5.56 can. There's also YHM, OCM, AEM, etc
    I’m not trying to argue with you about Surefire, but don’t rule out the M4SD II for $2-300 less.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’m not trying to argue with you about Surefire, but don’t rule out the M4SD II for $2-300 less.
    Eh. I'm not a huge fan of griffin. From dumb stuff like "front towards Arabs" to copying kac and threatening litigation over memes, i just don't see much value, though their cans aren't bad from what I've heard.

Surefire predates the first terminator film and makes the most combat tested suppressor ever made.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015

Surefire is good too.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Eh. I'm not a huge fan of griffin. From dumb stuff like "front towards Arabs" to copying kac and threatening litigation over memes, i just don't see much value, though their cans aren't bad from what I've heard.

Surefire predates the first terminator film and makes the most combat tested suppressor ever made.
    Evan may say some dumb stuff from time to time, but their cans are ROCK SOLID.
    Unlike Q, who says dumb shit all the time, and cans aren’t really great.

Also, as I said, I’m not arguing about Surefire’s record or reputation.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Evan may say some dumb stuff from time to time, but their cans are ROCK SOLID.
    Unlike Q, who says dumb shit all the time, and cans aren’t really great.

Also, as I said, I’m not arguing about Surefire’s record or reputation.
    I've messed with some Q cans, kb says some exceptionally dumb stuff, but some of their suppressors do sound quite nice, especially with subsonic rounds

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    Capitol Armory is in your City, and has the OCL Polonium in stock for $200 less than the Sierra 5.
    That's a no brainer for me.
    I’ve also seen the Pew Science report on it, and I’m about to listen to the podcast explaining the report to my monke brain lol. So far from what I see, this is an obvious yes.

Now second question, how stupid would it be to pin and weld a suppressor to an 11.5 considering its direct thread? I think kind of stupid because I’m already jumping through the hoops for a suppressor. From what I can tell, the wait times for an sbr are less.

OR get the keymo adapter for it and add to the length.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I’ve also seen the Pew Science report on it, and I’m about to listen to the podcast explaining the report to my monke brain lol. So far from what I see, this is an obvious yes.

Now second question, how stupid would it be to pin and weld a suppressor to an 11.5 considering its direct thread? I think kind of stupid because I’m already jumping through the hoops for a suppressor. From what I can tell, the wait times for an sbr are less.

I don't personally like p&w'ed or integral suppressors. It creates a headache if you want to change up the gun, or put the suppressor on something else

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

I mean, it sounds pretty stupid to me, but hey, it’s your gun and you should do what makes you happy.
    Maybe I’m just a smooth brain, but I don’t put much into the whole Pew Science report. For years we didn’t have a problem determining which can was quieter or had the best tone or least first round pop with our ears. We could also use calibrated instruments to measure peak db levels and get a dang good idea on how cans performed. Now suddenly, all that is supposed to mean nothing, and there is only one guy who can determine what can we should all use.
    As for KeyMo, I hate it. Does it work? Yes. Is it the heaviest mounting system out there? Also Yes. There are a ton of other QD systems out there that work equally as well and are WAY lighter.
    At the end of my barrel is NOT where I want to add a half a pound of unnecessary weight.

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    That

That is concerning that it could be the QC if their subcontractor.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    There's a lot of noise in here, but to distill it down to your question baffle strikes are not a "brand-related issue."

They are virtually all user error or unpreventable anomalies.

Some cans are more (or less) forgiving to user error, but it's extremely rare for the can to be at fault for a baffle strike. I can all but guarantee OCM cans will be the next one on the chopping block. Why you ask? Well.....

ASR is the best mounting system! ASR becomes the most popular, most new shooters own it, and boom issues.
    HUSH ammo is the best! Hush becomes popular, new shooters buy it, and then they have cycling issues with their gun.
    KeyMo is the best mount now! KeyMo becomes popular, new shooters think they need it, and boom problems come up.
    Obsidian is the best pistol can ever! Obsidian becomes popular, new shooters buy it, boom end cap strike reports.
    Dead Air is the best! Dead Air becomes popular, new shooters buy it, and boom problems happen.
    OCM makes a great product, they become popular with new shooters, and.... well, we can come back to this point in a year or two.

The common issue is new shooters not knowing exactly what they are doing and buying the popular 'thing' on the internet. It doesn't really matter what the thing is. Virtually every time. Education on how something functions and how to properly utilize it would fix almost all the problems related to silencers.

For some reason in this industry everyone wants to argue and pick sides. AK, AR. Glock, 1911. 9, 45. 500, 870. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of great products, and a lot of great people-- and we love being opinionated as much as we love freedom.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    There's a lot of noise in here, but to distill it down to your question baffle strikes are not a "brand-related issue."

Some cans are more (or less) forgiving to user error, but it's extremely rare for the can to be at fault for a baffle strike. I can all but guarantee OCM cans will be the next one on the chopping block. Why you ask? Well.....

ASR is the best mounting system! ASR becomes the most popular, most new shooters own it, and boom issues.
    HUSH ammo is the best! Hush becomes popular, new shooters buy it, and then they have cycling issues with their gun.
    KeyMo is the best mount now! KeyMo becomes popular, new shooters think they need it, and boom problems come up.
    Obsidian is the best pistol can ever! Obsidian becomes popular, new shooters buy it, boom end cap strike reports.
    Dead Air is the best! Dead Air becomes popular, new shooters buy it, and boom problems happen.
    OCM makes a great product, they become popular with new shooters, and.... well, we can come back to this point in a year or two.

The common issue is new shooters not knowing exactly what they are doing and buying the popular 'thing' on the internet. It doesn't really matter what the thing is. Virtually every time. Education on how something functions and how to properly utilize it would fix almost all the problems related to silencers.

For some reason in this industry everyone wants to argue and pick sides. AK, AR. Glock, 1911. 9, 45. 500, 870. The truth of the matter is there are a lot of great products, and a lot of great people-- and we love being opinionated as much as we love freedom.
    I don't buy for a second that all the s5 issues are user error or anomalies. The issues seem to involve all manner of mounting systems, and how would a user error cause blast baffles to have total weld failures? Disintegrating baffles? There are other issues with DA, like them being unable to support suppressors with adapters. How long did people have to wait for wolfman tri lug adapters or 26x1.5 wolverine adapters? It was far longer than DA said they'd be waiting.

DA has zero in house production and little to no QC. Everything they make goes straight from the subcontractor to dealers. They don't have the manufacturing overhead. They just design and sell it. They are a ghost kitchen but with suppressors.

The same fate may befall ocm, but i seriously don't it'll be that soon, unless they start using subcontractors for everything

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin

Excellent reply. The sierra 5 was going to be my first suppresor, but I've since decided on the Polonium K with Keymo mount. I will definitely be getting it from y'all, thanks!

Top Bottom