• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Anschutz Rifles. Match grade .22 ammo is designed for match grade rifles. What is shot in the olympics is ammunition designed for specific grades of rifle.
    Thanks. Very informative. It looked highly precise when they used to show it on TV.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Aw, y’all did good.

4 H is pretty much the reason I’m shooting. My kids were in archery in a club there and moved up to pistol club and from there we found out about a select team for Scholastic Pistol Program and Steel Challenge matches outside of 4-H and we were off to the races.

I didn’t shoot much in those days and had so little experience (didn’t grow up shooting). When I did get to shoot and if I had a jam (probably lotta limp wristing troubles then), I handed the gun to my teenager to clear it “for momma.”

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    G4Free Outdoor Tactical Backpack,Military Sport Pack Daypack Shoulder Backpack for Camping, Hiking, Trekking,Rover Sling Pack Chest Pack(1,043)$14.99$14.99Price dropped 12%(was $16.99 when added)Color
    : Pythons Grain Black2 Used & Newfrom $14.99

These little bags work pretty well. Room enough in the main pocket for cleaning gear, hearing and eye pro with some room left over. Front pocket will hold 3 100 rd boxes. Works well for a 1 gun gear bag. I have 4 of them. 3 stay loaded for specific rimfire rifles.

Amazon also has some cheap front and rear bags that can be filled with almost anything and work pretty well. I have some I filled with airsoft pellets.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    tl;dr summary: If you buy her ammo, CCI standard in the 100-round plastic boxes is the reliable choice.

Long version:
    Maybe somebody should google up what they shoot at the Olympics.
    Almost all Eley Tenex, which starts at $0.30/round and goes up. Most shooters at that level (well, at least their coaches) can look at the lot number and tell which machine at Eley assembled the ammo and in what year. If you're serious, have money, and are short on time, you send your rifle or pistol to Eley's test facility (in Texas if you're in this hemisphere) and they'll shoot it with all available lots in their test tunnel. They'll advise you which lot is best for your firearm and then ship you a few thousand dollars (minimum) worth of ammo from that lot, only.

Before laser trainers became available, the biggest volume ammo users at the Olympics were rapid fire pistol shooters. Ralf Schumann, multiple medal winner in that event, used to use 150,000 to 400,000 rounds per year in training, depending on what story he wanted to tell the interviewer. It would be hard to shoot 400K rounds a year but estimates from U.S. coaches (that I believe to be reliable) were that he probably burned 250-300K rounds per year. All of it was Tenex; the German federation gave nothing but the best to their ultimate superstar.

In case you haven't figured it out, Olympic shooting is a whole 'nother world full of flakey people making big bucks for whom national training programs spend big bucks. (Pro-tip - Never sleep in Olympic athlete housing. They're nuts and they'll find ways to drive you crazy right along with 'em. I'll spare you the stories for now.)

Bottom line - Eley Tenex, the very best ammo out there, is a waste of money in the type of rifle she's going to get.

Further down the Eley line, though, is some great stuff. Eley Club might be a good idea. I use it a lot and it's good enough to make a difference. As crazy as it sounds, the Eley packaging is actually so superior it's worth considering for that reason alone. The sturdy inner boxes make it easy to pick out individual rounds and keep track of how many you've fired. No one I know who's a serious shooter bothers with lugging those fancy wooden ammo blocks to the firing line if they are shooting Eley; the separate blocks just aren't necessary. That ammo runs ~$0.12/round.

Of course, as Hoji said:
    CCI standard would probably be a great choice though.
    That stuff works well enough in just about everything, doesn't it? There was a well-documented ammo test with a pistol where 10 rounds of all different high-end ammo were shot by an Olympian through a free pistol. There were several grades of Eley (including Tenex), Lapua, some Russian stuff, and some CCI standard. The CCI did not fall outside the main group. It all shot about the same.

As an added bonus, in the very practical (almost as good as Eley packaging) 100-round plastic boxes CCI Standard can be had for $0.055/round. You can't really go wrong with that stuff for normal, unsuppressed target shooting.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    What is she up to?

I would suggest that everything over the cost of the gun go to ammo.

I remember giving several thousand rounds away to parents with their kids at the range between 2012 and 2016.

Let’s try not to let her run out for a long time.

Stack it deep while it is cheap.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    tl;dr summary: If you buy her ammo, CCI standard in the 100-round plastic boxes is the reliable choice.

Long version:
    Almost all Eley Tenex, which starts at $0.30/round and goes up. Most shooters at that level (well, at least their coaches) can look at the lot number and tell which machine at Eley assembled the ammo and in what year. If you're serious, have money, and are short on time, you send your rifle or pistol to Eley's test facility (in Texas if you're in this hemisphere) and they'll shoot it with all available lots in their test tunnel. They'll advise you which lot is best for your firearm and then ship you a few thousand dollars (minimum) worth of ammo from that lot, only.

Before laser trainers became available, the biggest volume ammo users at the Olympics were rapid fire pistol shooters. Ralf Schumann, multiple medal winner in that event, used to use 150,000 to 400,000 rounds per year in training, depending on what story he wanted to tell the interviewer. It would be hard to shoot 400K rounds a year but estimates from U.S. coaches (that I believe to be reliable) were that he probably burned 250-300K rounds per year. All of it was Tenex; the German federation gave nothing but the best to their ultimate superstar.

In case you haven't figured it out, Olympic shooting is a whole 'nother world full of flakey people making big bucks for whom national training programs spend big bucks. (Pro-tip - Never sleep in Olympic athlete housing. They're nuts and they'll find ways to drive you crazy right along with 'em. I'll spare you the stories for now.)

Bottom line - Eley Tenex, the very best ammo out there, is a waste of money in the type of rifle she's going to get.

Further down the Eley line, though, is some great stuff. Eley Club might be a good idea. I use it a lot and it's good enough to make a difference. As crazy as it sounds, the Eley packaging is actually so superior it's worth considering for that reason alone. The sturdy inner boxes make it easy to pick out individual rounds and keep track of how many you've fired. No one I know who's a serious shooter bothers with lugging those fancy wooden ammo blocks to the firing line if they are shooting Eley; the separate blocks just aren't necessary. That ammo runs ~$0.12/round.

Of course, as Hoji said:
    That stuff works well enough in just about everything, doesn't it? There was a well-documented ammo test with a pistol where 10 rounds of all different high-end ammo were shot by an Olympian through a free pistol. There were several grades of Eley (including Tenex), Lapua, some Russian stuff, and some CCI standard. The CCI did not fall outside the main group. It all shot about the same.

As an added bonus, in the very practical (almost as good as Eley packaging) 100-round plastic boxes CCI Standard can be had for $0.055/round. You can't really go wrong with that stuff for normal, unsuppressed target shooting.

I will definitely get her some CCI standard velocity.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    What is she up to?

I would suggest that everything over the cost of the gun go to ammo.

I remember giving several thousand rounds away to parents with their kids at the range between 2012 and 2016.

Let’s try not to let her run out for a long time.

Stack it deep while it is cheap.

She will definitely get quite a bit of ammo. But she also needs a carry case, cleaning kit and maybe a range bag. The cost of the carry case and cleaning kit will not be very much.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Aside from the hard plastic box the 100 round packs come in, is there any difference ( besides price) than the 50 round boxes?
    I've heard and I wish I could get someone from CCI to confirm that the ammo in the 100 round boxes and the ammo in the 50 round boxes are made in different places by different machines. I'm not good enough to tell the difference but there are highly skilled precision pistol competitors who swear that the ammo in the 100-round plastic boxes is slightly more accurate than the stuff in the 50-round cardboard boxes.

As far as the demonstrable-by-me superiority of the 100-round boxes, they enable me to load 5 and know I've loaded 5. When the rounds in the cardboard boxes start falling around in the box, I often lose track. But I'm just an old guy with lousy vision, so that's probably not important to most folks.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I just ordered myself a case of Eley CMP for $355, and while I haven’t shot any yet, I am rather confident that it will perform very well at the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I just ordered myself a case of Eley CMP for $355, and while I haven’t shot any yet, I am rather confident that it will perform very well at the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This actually might be an opportunity to turn her club on to the Eley. At the CMP price, it’s the close to CCI SV.

I’ve had a lot of luck with SV being consistent, but the Eley is a step above.

Top Bottom