Hurley's Gold

Cornyn suggests he might support universal background checks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I know there is already 2-3 threads about that gun control bill passing the committee, BUT This article has an interesting statement that hits really close to home. Now I know it's the Politico. So it could be a flat out lie. Nor did they quote his statement leading them to make that statement.

But Sen. John Cornyn (Texas), the second-highest Republican in the Senate, said he “must strongly oppose” the Feinstein proposal and echoed the GOP position — backed by the powerful National Rifle Association — that the measure was overly broad and failed to address the problem of the “seriously mentally deranged” getting guns.
    Cornyn said the assault weapons ban “jeopardizes the self-defense rights of law-abiding citizens while doing nothing to address the real problem.”
    Cornyn also said the proposal would effectively ban “the majority of handguns” sold in the country because it prohibits the sale of high-capacity ammunition clips. Cornyn offered several amendment to revise the Feinstein proposal, but they were defeated by Democrats.
    “What’s happening here with all these amendments in effort to nip it and tuck it and create all these exceptions,” Feinstein said.
    Cornyn, though, did suggest he might support a potential bipartisan compromise on universal background checks if a deal can be reached when the gun bill comes to the Senate floor in coming weeks. Democratic Sens. Chuck Schumer (N.Y.) and Joe Manchin (W.Va.) are searching for GOP backers for that legislation after talks with Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) broke down.

Read more: Dianne Feinstein, Ted Cruz trade barbs over gun ban - John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com
    ARJ Defense ad

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I was on a Southwest flight with him not too long ago. I made it a point to stop, shake his hand and tell him not to give an inch on the second amendment fight. He said "Oh no, I won't". I'll take it personal if he lied to me.

BTW I was wearing my TGT hat at the time.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    These pussies are going to compromise on something. Background checks seems the logical common ground. I thought I read an article posted here a while back saying NRA was already contemplating getting behind it. Pussies.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Just some info on Cornyn. I noticed on the Senate Judiciary page he submitted four amendments to the AWB. I haven't fully digested them in the context of the AWB but it looks as if he attempted to work in some exemptions to test the waters. Looks like the Dems are firm and no one should have these firearms, even the folks that legally could or physically should have them.

I say go chip away at the Dems and encourage the Reps to hold firm for no compromise.

S. 150, Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 (Feinstein)
    Ordered Reported by Roll Call Vote, 10-8

Amendment ALB13181(Cornyn)
    Failed by Roll Call Vote, 8-10

Amendment OLL13116 (Cornyn)

AmendmentOLL13117 (Cornyn)

Amendment OLL13118 (Cornyn)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I was going to as soon as I have a chance to sit down on the computer, his contact me page was a little much for my phone.

Good. I did in Feb and here was his response:

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM, <SenateWebmail@cornyn.senate.gov> wrote:
    >
    >
    > Dear Mrs. "Shorts":
    >
    > Thank you for contacting me regarding federal firearms laws. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.
    >
    > As a strong proponent of the Second Amendment, I believe it is essential to safeguard the law-abiding citizen's constitutional right to own and use firearms designed for legitimate purposes such as hunting, target shooting, collecting, and self-protection. Restricting this right runs counter to the intent of our Founding Fathers, who expressly guaranteed that citizens would retain the right to keep and bear arms.
    >
    > It is encouraging that the Supreme Court has upheld the will of our Founders and re-affirmed the ideals our country was established upon. The Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia v. Heller provides a greater guarantee that Americans' Constitutional rights remain secure from federal government intrusion. I was proud to sign an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in that case stating an individual’s right to bear arms is fundamental. This historic ruling continues to have implications far beyond the District of Columbia. In 2010, the Supreme Court decided in McDonald v. City of Chicago to strike down the arbitrary gun ban in Chicago—and thereby affirm that the Second Amendment safeguards against state and local encroachments on the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.
    >
    > As a former Texas Supreme Court Justice and Attorney General, I have firsthand knowledge of crime-fighting policies that work, and I believe that citizens' Second Amendment rights should not be restricted because of the actions of criminals. Rather, we must focus our attention on the source of violent crime: criminals who use firearms to commit crimes. I believe that strictly enforcing the law—and meting out tougher sentences for career criminals and those who use firearms when committing crimes—will reduce crime more effectively than gun or equipment bans, which primarily serve to take firearms away from law-abiding citizens.
    >
    > I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain that I will continue working with my colleagues to protect our Second Amendment rights. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > JOHN CORNYN
    > United States Senator
    >
    >
    > 517 Hart Senate Office Building
    > Washington, DC 20510
    > Tel: (202) 224-2934
    > Fax: (202) 228-2856
    > United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas
    >

So, there's something on paper to work with. Might be some clues in there as to what he might do or what he won't do. I don't know. I'm going to fire off another email specifically title S374 and S150 and see if we can get into some detail. Emails NEED to go to the Dems as well. They need to see and hear the objections loud and clear, ringing in their ears and email every day.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Good. I did in Feb and here was his response:

So, there's something on paper to work with. Might be some clues in there as to what he might do or what he won't do. I don't know. I'm going to fire off another email specifically title S372 and S150 and see if we can get into some detail. Emails NEED to go to the Dems as well. They need to see and hear the objections loud and clear, ringing in their ears and email every day.

I have the same email on the same date.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I think I used the NRA site back then. I used his site today.

I'll post any reply I receive.

Sounds good. Will post the methods of access I find as well.

I have to admit being involved is pretty hectic, between the Texas legislature getting started and now the US Senate starting up on these bills, plus voluntary help to CO with their items. It's busy and this crap takes so much mental attention just to stay read up and current.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    universal background checks meaning what - that private guns sales between two non-licensed individuals would require a background check?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    universal background checks meaning what - that private guns sales between two non-licensed individuals would require a background check?

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113s374rs/pdf/BILLS-113s374rs.pdf

yup. family too.

Unless I'm misunderstanding pg 12 of the document, I don't think this is the case. Someone else have a look and tell me what you think.

And by no means does me offering an answer suggest I'm ok with this UBC crap. I am not! I am of the opinion that if you're gonna argue, have your facts straight. You lose credibility being ignorant on the subject. Let's be right about what we're saying.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    sorry, you are right, I was probably thinking about the Colorado deal. All this shit is beginning to run together for me.

Hey no worries. It is running together for me too. I keep linking to the bills in my replies when I mention them to keep info sorted. It's like when divers go diving and they tie themselves to the boat so they find their way back. lol

Top Bottom