• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I found out this year that my father in law has some land up near Brownwood that is suitable for hunting. So in preparation for deer season, I've been building a hunting blind that will double as a cabin so I don't have to set up a tent every time we go out there. It is 8'x8' and the floor is 10' off the ground. The vertical posts are 16' so they will can tie into the roof for more structural stability. Still need to add a roof and haven't decided exactly what to do for walls yet. I'm considering doing canvas, netting, or burlap so it can easily be rolled up for good ventilation and shooting prone. Might change my mind about that after the first cold weekend I spend up there though. Here are some pics of how it has progressed

FA78274D-E3FB-488C-A440-055C7BF809F6-2959-0000018C438B88B5.jpg

MonsterBlind1.jpg

MonsterBlind2.jpg

View of the close feeder (100yds)

FB8D5AD9-F4C1-446D-B444-35E444DFDCEB-2959-0000018CDED332FF.jpg

And the far feeder (200yds)

28916DA4-7A26-4B00-A4F5-344D823FBE34-2959-0000018CEE01BD3A.jpg

And some highlights from the game cam...

PICT0815.jpg

PICT0449.jpg

PICT0757.jpg

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    And some pics of building my feeders. Yes, they look camouflaged but it's mostly because I had to cover up some bare metal and didn't want to paint the whole thing

Welding.jpg

FeederAssembly.jpg

Filling.jpg

Feeder1.jpg

Feeder2.jpg

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Just an idea-if you're wanting to do prone...what about going ahead and doing plywood walls, but have them raised about a foot and a half-two foot off the floor and going with your roll up idea for that little gap? Then you can keep it warmer, but also do prone. Just an idea from a non-hunter.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Just an idea-if you're wanting to do prone...what about going ahead and doing plywood walls, but have them raised about a foot and a half-two foot off the floor and going with your roll up idea for that little gap? Then you can keep it warmer, but also do prone. Just an idea from a non-hunter.

Not a bad Idea. I also thought about doing the walls in 2 sections and putting them on hinges so I could fold down the bottom half, or fold up the top half.

But just leaving a gap and covering that with material would be less moving parts and would still be warmer that not having any solid walls

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Either way would work decent. You could do the wood flapper, and have it rest at about a 5-10 degree outward angle. Then just have a pull cord to slowly pull it up, and be able to lock it in place like a shop door at a garage with the chain pulls.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'll have to dig up pics of the blind we had at our old lease. It was a 16' x 16' room on telephone poles about 40 feet above ground in northwest Texas. It could hold and sleep as many as 12 people in comfort....scary climb though.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    All you need is satellite and you will be set...lol Nice set up. You are a lucky man. If you ever have some spots that need to be filled just let me know...lol

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    All you need is satellite and you will be set...lol Nice set up. You are a lucky man. If you ever have some spots that need to be filled just let me know...lol

Once I've actually hunted it a couple times and am sure of what to expect, I'd consider having other people up there.

Now I'm in the mood to go build one just so I can have a badass tree house

This is pretty much a good excuse to do just that

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Can't tell by the pictures if the blind is anchored to ground or if you're planning on anchoring. I can tell you from past experience that it can be toppled over by strong wind.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    As far as walls go Home Depot and others sell OSB plywood pre painted camo.

Leave a rip about 2' on the bottom and put hinges on the top of it. Use hooks to hold it open and closed. I assume you will just need that on one side. Do the same thing for your windows. You can even make a simple door like that.

Be sure the stand locks up fairly tight. Ask me how I know that an Owl (or any other animal for that matter) like to live in there and make a huge mess.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Can't tell by the pictures if the blind is anchored to ground or if you're planning on anchoring. I can tell you from past experience that it can be toppled over by strong wind.

I was just thinking the same thing. My uncle has 6'x6'x8' tall blinds on wide steel bases on his place. The one that is 16' off the ground blows over all the time and it is anchored to the ground.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Not anchored now, but I'll attach some anchors if I put walls on. Doesn't have anything that can catch wind right now, and it's pretty damn wide and heavy

NaturallyArrognt

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Boerne
    Looks great man, i still need to build mine and urs is giving me a few ideas to change on my design... my temp deer blind is my roof rack on my 4runner, scary cold so i say do the walls so itll be nice and warm inside.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Looking good....One of my dads old buddies had a 20x20 stand with a bed and office set up in it. He would sit in the woods and do his paper work lol

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My recommendation is anchor it with guy wires, etc. Even without walls................they can blow down. Don't ask how I know. Andy's big blind in the East pasture (I think you saw it) blew down last Spring. We "might" be able to use about 10% of what's left.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    My recommendation is anchor it with guy wires, etc. Even without walls................they can blow down. Don't ask how I know. Andy's big blind in the East pasture (I think you saw it) blew down last Spring. We "might" be able to use about 10% of what's left.

That cabin sized thing?

Thanks for the advice. Not sure exactly how I'll anchor it yet. Might cut some t-posts in half and use them as monster stakes :D

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'd run a 2" pipe from the center of each side at a 45 degree angle attaching it to a plate bolted to the floor structure and bury the other end in a concrete pier about 2' dia. and 2 to 4' deep. That's something that won't move. Run two of them about 2 or 3 ft. apart on the side where you enter and you can put some steps between them. Brownwood is far enough out there to get some pretty good winds. And it only takes once and then you might have a really nice burn pile! If you buried the corner posts down 4 ft. or so you could probably get away with no guys. Just my two bits.

Top Bottom