Target Sports

Compass and Map, just fyi in case you forgot your 'device'...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Have carried a compass for years. Use it regularly hunting and moving around neighbors’ properties.

Maps are laminated and in the pack.

Have you done any orienteering lately?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin

I try to move away from vehicles and other interference.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Have you all checked where magnetic north is these days? Green dot is 2023 magnetic north
    1693191147724.png

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Have you all checked where magnetic north is these days? Green dot is 2023 magnetic north
    View attachment 403291
    I have seen this before, but doubt its validity.
    I say this because I do some atrophotography and part of that involves polar alignment of a tracking mount. That alignment involves finding magnetic north and then adjusting for ofset to align with true north. I have been doing this for years and have been using the same ofset charts with no noticeable shift in tracking accuracy.

Orion_and_Flame_nebulas.jpg

AndromedaSDL.jpg

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Probably a good skill to have that I currently lack:

If I were dumped in the middle of a farmers field with a map and compass, I couldn't locate where I was on that map. I can generally hold a compass and find a general direction, but as far as what I'd do next? Not sure. Say power went down and I had to put on a backpack and go north 10 miles? I could probably bumble through it considering my local landmarks but if I were in another area I'm unfamiliar with? I might be in trouble. Then again, I'm under the mindset of staying put (in my house) if at all possible.

Still, made me lookup prices on a compass just to have since I don't think one even is in my house. Any of you [former] boyscout leaders have some basic exercises the layperson could try out just walking around their neighborhood?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    During the exercises during my training in the Guard as well as Active duty, it seems the skills of the operator are a much larger factor then the accuracy of the compass.

Eh, depends on the size of spot you want to navigate to. Looking for a specific T-post with a eight digit grid is much different than following a drainage to a road and waiting to get picked up.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    If you know there are 3 North’s, you are off to a good start. If you can read terrain features you are off to a better start. If you can do a resection or intersection you should do well.

G-M angles can mess people up, as well as not knowing the current correction if using an outdated map.

fordw60s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Lufkin, TX
    I say this because I do some atrophotography and part of that involves polar alignment of a tracking mount. That alignment involves finding magnetic north and then adjusting for ofset to align with true north. I have been doing this for years and have been using the same ofset charts with no noticeable shift in tracking accuracy.

View attachment 403321

View attachment 403323
    It is a valid thing but from way back ago and it depends on the ground you cover. Blessingly in the East Texas/ West Louisiana area it doesn't change much and unless your doing survey work it usually isn't as important. Been causing timber for 20 years and haven't been using declination. The whole state of Louisiana is only a couple degrees across the whole state.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Check out NOA

View attachment 403321

View attachment 403323
    Check out NOAA web site about changes in magnetic poles. https://ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Plenty of people don’t realize that the map data on their phone relies on cell service until they are in the middle of nowhere and have neither. The glowing blue dot does no good when it’s in the middle of a blank screen.
    Even google maps allows for a download of an off-line map. Its not a huge map area iirc.

I paid for Locus Pro/Classic. Downloadable by state for a few cents each, with lots of trails and features not on googlemaps and some powerful navagation features. Well worth the $10 for a fully off-line map that is highly detailed and includes accurate elevation data with multiple downloadable maps from lots of sources.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    1aefc2741f9c879be00688fb6f6f52ae.jpg
    9c8e306fd8bbd56a4a45a162d12a39f2.jpg
    e7344d3917c36dd34bae1ed976d5040f.jpg
    bef9d420811e123798df572172292a99.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom