• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    CB's DO NOT operate on AMATURE freqs. PERIOD NO DISCUSSION. They are in a separate segment of the spectrum. CB is a "legal" 4 watts. AM for the most part. short range and generally low quality. If shtf repeaters will not be an option. Mobile 2/70 range from 5 - 75 watts depending on model. HF rigs are generally 5 - 100 watts. even with that kind of power, your antenna can make or break your station. Ask any QRP Operator. If you want to bet your ass on a hand held, Get to be friends a with a guy who can service Motorolas, pick up some old HT-1000s and go at it. The RADIUS mobiles are also very reliable and Idiot proof.

Seems I got your jimmies rustled, I apologize for that.

It wasn't very clear and a little mixed up. CBs and Ham radios can communicate if the ham is simply tuned to a CB frequency. Is that better.

No, I didn't say it was legal.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Frankly, the only reason I'd be interested in HAM radio is for emergency use... and I'm fairly interested for that purpose. I have ZERO interest in getting a license and learning all the junk I don't need to know and will never use such as Morse code... other than "dit-dit-dit... dot... dot... dot... dit-dit-dit".
    Get that baofeng like suggested earlier. Its the best handheld ham out there right now that isnt gonna give you any regrets. As far as emergencies go just listen for now and if all hell breaks loose start transmitting because im sure nobody is gonna care in that situation about a license.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Like I said above (somewhere), I got mine when I was 12 or 13. It was really easy. Don't need to learn any dits or dots unless you want a higher level license.

Course, I got bored with it fairly quickly. Small town and never was much going on. Same round table every week and same old swap night with usually the same old stuff from the same old farts, lol.

Not many major emergencies go down in such a small town either.

iamsamcrawdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Aransas Pass
    for all the South Texas peeps 16TH ANNUAL HAMFEST
    November 7 – 8, Aransas Pass, Texas
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]see schedule for details[/FONT]Aransas Pass Civic Center
    700 West Wheeler Avenue Aransas Pass, Texas 78335
    Admission: Advance Registration $ 8 includes 2 door prize tickets
    - Closes October 26th
    - Don,t miss out!!

Entry Tickets available at Door $10 includes 1 Door Prize Ticket
    Kids 17 and under Free (no door prize ticket)
    Antenna Build $ 5 Entry

Tables (8ft) $ 10 each (does not include entry)
    Commercial Spaces $10 each –1 table included
    Tailgating $ 5 per space (Truck with Trailer is two spaces)

Raffle Tickets for Grand Prizes $ 1.00 each

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    There's plenty of people using the equipment without license. Just try not to interfere with any of the licensed operators. There's some sadists out there that get their jollies from tracking down illegal operators and turning them into the FCC.

Yep, just like those "sadists" who turn in poachers.

The truth of the matter is that very few people illegally operating on HAM frequencies ever get caught and penalized by the FCC. As you said, don't interfere with us licensed operators and we'll leave you alone.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    The fact is I'd never bother using a HAM radio other than very infrequent listening. I'm just not at all interested in it. I'd like one just in case of severe emergency though.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Subscribe (total newbie, been thinking about this very thing lately, having learned how important commo is when the chips are down)

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Here's something else to consider. I collect vintage military radios, both for fun and reenacting. They are robust, easy to repair...well most are easy to repair, take a look at the chassis of a WWII Wireless Set No. 19, that'll change your mind! Coincidentally, they are perfect for communications during SHTF situations by virtue of their ruggedness. I have three working PRC 25s, a PRC 77 I'm restoring, two PRC 90s, a couple of Vietnam era ChiCom radios (one with issues), and some others. These will fill the bill nicely for short range comms and you don't have to worry if they get wet or dropped. Something to consider if you want to have some fun with the radios before the SHTF.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just curious how many keep a few descent Motorola handheld radios around for short range (yeah, real short range,lol) communication?

Depending on the landscape where you live you might even get a descent range. I keep 3 around the house and considering picking up another set.

Sorry if this is a little OT from the big boy radio discussions.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A decent handheld radio "may" be hooked up to a small yagi beam and stuck up on a pole above the house, etc. and gain a great deal of usable distance. And remember, a directional "beam" antenna not only sends further it also hears further.

Unlike a signal amplifier which only helps on transmit.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I have three working PRC 25s,

Now that one would be intimately familiar, having been literally umbilically attached to a prick 25 as a FO. Damned antennae was used as a registration point for the bad guys, and the mic cord wasn't near long enough... But it saved our butts many times.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    We have better radios now with much smaller antennas, worse battery life and a galaxy note 2 attached to it which can give any type of data mostly logistical to higher.

Top Bottom