• ...and so much more!
  • PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Emergency Communications In A Zombie Apocalypse - What Will You Do When The Cell Phones Go Out?

This is an in-depth class based on the very well received presentation given at the Greater Houston Ha
    mfest 2014.

By now it should be clear to everyone that a Zombie Apocalypse (Z.A.) can happen at anytime. When the cell phones go out, how will you: Find shelter, food and water? Locate other survivors? Find weapons and ammo caches? Find out who's willing to swap lighters for fresh peaches. Keep informed of the movements of zombie hordes?

The answer of course is Ham Radio! This fun and interactive class takes a humorous look at how to prepare your communications for the coming Z.A. or any disaster.

• What are the best radios to have
    • How to power your radio gear
    • How you can get a zombie to pedal a stationary bike that has a generator attached forever
    • If you're single, how to use your radio to find a non-infected date
    • If you're married and have kids, how to keep your teen from dating a zombie
    • Can your Ham radios skills be used to make a directed energy weapon out of stuff your likely to find lying around after a Z.A.? YES!
    • What if the zombie hordes tear down your antenna? You'll learn how to build a backup emergency antenna out of just coax. You can even take your antenna home with you!
    Feel free to forward this to anyone who might be interested!

Class: Emergency Communications In A Zombie Apocalypse
    Date: Saturday, September 13th 2014
    Times: 9:00am - 4:00pm with a 1 hour lunch break
    Address: 19636 Saums Road Houston, TX 77084
    Talk In: 147.200(+)141.3 (Ham radio)
    GPS: 29.800768, -95.716287
    Map: [url]https://goo.gl/maps/xXmwZ[/URL]
    Questions:
    perez.alfred@gmail.com
    Requirements: The only requirement is that you register. You do not have to have your Ham license to benefit from this class.
    Open To: Everyone and anyone who is interested.

Materials Cost: $10

Instructor: Alfred Perez - N5VEV, EC-001 Cell: 281-919-9877 GV: 832-380-5867 24/7 Emergency Contact Accepts SMS - Text Messages

Registration: Click Here To Register If that doesn't work, cut and paste this link to register: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1wY...y1-nM9Qts/viewform?usp=send_form#start=invite

Would you like to offer this class to your group? Contact Alfred Perez at perez.alfred@gmail.com for more information.

Would you like information on upcoming classes related to Ham radio, emergency management or disaster preparedness? Sign up for the training mailing list: Texas Emergency Management Training and visit our website https://sites.google.com/site/txemmgnt/home

Alfred Perez - N5VEV, EC-001
    Cell: 281-919-9877
    GV: 832-380-5867 24/7 Emergency Contact
    Accepts SMS - Text Messages
    Gun Zone Deals

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Sounds like a good class FG. I and my local associates are establishing a mutual support/defense group in the event of Race or Entitlement riots. We are all Ham radio operators and will use them to maintain contact and request assistance when the shtf.

MaddogOIF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Been wanting to get into it. But it's so damn expensive. Not only that but I'm more of a hands on learner and I think the books have only confused me more.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Been wanting to get into it. But it's so damn expensive. Not only that but I'm more of a hands on learner and I think the books have only confused me more.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Where in TX do you live?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Temple has a HAM club and you just missed a Ham EXPO in Belton last saturday. Look'em up, they're always willing to talk about Ham radios...and talk,,,,and talk,,,,,and talk.....;>)

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    C.B. Radio is the way to go.

I have a solar cell array, three 12 Volt batteries, and a 12V charge controller.

I keep the radio tuned to channel 19 24/7.

Used to talk to truckers, but it got old real quick. The Diesel Dummies constantly complain about how their GPS is flocked up and how their dispatcher sent them on an errant run.

Now, I can listen to traffic problems on I-35 and I-10, without having to be a prick joining in on the conversation.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    C.B. radios are fine for day-to-day short range communications but for reliable and consistent long range two-way conversations HAM is the only way to go to prepare for a SHTF scenario.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's important to keep in mind that you are giving away your location every time you transmit. Could be a big deal depending on what type of SHTF you are preparing for. This applies to both HAM and CB.

If you are hitting a repeater it could help alleviate this.

CBs also operate on the same frequencies as HAM, but at a lower power. They could be boosted pretty easily (just look at the range some truckers a getting) but it isn't legal to transmit at that output without the license.

The basic license isn't that hard to get, I had one when I was ~13. Moving up wasn't that bad either, although the equipment costs grow quickly and I never finished getting up to snuff on Morse code which was a requirement.

Depending on the type if SHTF you want to prepare for, the license may not matter.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    CB's DO NOT operate on AMATURE freqs. PERIOD NO DISCUSSION. They are in a separate segment of the spectrum. CB is a "legal" 4 watts. AM for the most part. short range and generally low quality. If shtf repeaters will not be an option. Mobile 2/70 range from 5 - 75 watts depending on model. HF rigs are generally 5 - 100 watts. even with that kind of power, your antenna can make or break your station. Ask any QRP Operator. If you want to bet your ass on a hand held, Get to be friends a with a guy who can service Motorolas, pick up some old HT-1000s and go at it. The RADIUS mobiles are also very reliable and Idiot proof.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Frankly, the only reason I'd be interested in HAM radio is for emergency use... and I'm fairly interested for that purpose. I have ZERO interest in getting a license and learning all the junk I don't need to know and will never use such as Morse code... other than "dit-dit-dit... dot... dot... dot... dit-dit-dit".

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have ZERO interest in getting a license and learning all the junk I don't need to know and will never use such as Morse code.
    There's plenty of people using the equipment without license. Just try not to interfere with any of the licensed operators. There's some sadists out there that get their jollies from tracking down illegal operators and turning them into the FCC.

Top Bottom