• ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    This is my 2nd time flying Alaskan Airlines
    They are probably the most accommodating while staying in regulation.
    I imagine they are their fair share of checked firearms.
    DK Firearms

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    1. yes
    2. yes
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Ammunition
    • Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.
    Actually, not 100 percent correct. While TSA may not care I, and others, have encountered Airline employees and rules that require ammo to be in an original container or one intended to store ammo. Like a plastic ammo box. No loaded mags. It's always the individual Airlines rules and their employees who cause a problem.

Again this is where having both the airlines and TSA rules printed off in hand and links to websites come in handy. It's also where a little preemptive conflict elimination comes in handy. Just put the ammo in the box it came in inside the locked case. Eliminate the possibility of having to explain what an ignorant tard they are for not knowing a critical part of their job.

Being right doesn't amount to squat if you piss off people who can make you miss your flight or scare handwringers who are already hoplophobes into creating a huge scene calling attention to your baggage full of guns that can easily be stolen later.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    candcallen,

Remind me sometime to tell you my "sad tale" of nearly getting "drawn down upon" or possibly SHOT by the Airport Police at BWI because of a GUN-HATING ticket agent.
    (Thanks be to God that the veteran police officer who responded to her HYSTERIA was LEVEL-HEADED.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    stdreb27,

OK.
    In January 2002, I was enroute to TX from the DC area & flying out of BWI on TDY. = I had my Model 39 S&W 9x19mm pistol in a locked case & inside my locked suitcase, when I arrived at the ticket counter.
    (At that time, you had to "declare" any firearms to the airline representative BEFORE taking the luggage to the TSA station at BWI. - Once "declared", the airline agent put a RED TAG on the outside of the "outer locked container")

When I told the ticket agent that I had a cased/unloaded handgun & one box of ammo in my luggage, the agent literally SCREAMED, "HE'S GOT A GUN." = People scattered in every direction.
    (Quickly, a young MD Transportation Authority arrived, drawing his handgun.)
    The LEO said, to me (I was in Army "Class A" uniform), "What the H is going on."
    I said, "I told the lady that I have an unloaded, cased pistol & a box of ammo in my suitcase & she started screaming that, "He has a gun." (The LEO then called someone on his radio.)
    A MD Transport Police SGT soon arrived & said, "EVERYBODY SETTLE DOWN & RIGHT NOW.".
    The SGT talked to the police officer, to the ticket agent (She said to the SGT, "NOBODY but the police should have a gun. I want that guy arrested.") & then to me. Then the SGT said, "Mrs. G___________, you owe this man an apology & I will be discussing your deportment with your superiors & with the Airport Manager."
    The SGT then told the younger officer to go with me to TSA.
    (Thanks be to God that the veteran SGT arrived, as he was THE single, calm, level-headed person in this incident. - Even I was "quite upset", as I was afraid of what the young LEO might do with his drawn handgun.)

About 20-30 minutes later, I boarded the airliner, the flight departed for DFW & I therefore don't know what happened at BWI thereafter.

yours, satx

Last edited:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    stdreb27,

OK.
    In January 2002, I was enroute to TX from the DC area & flying out of BWI on TDY. = I had my Model 39 S&W 9x19mm pistol in a locked case & inside my locked suitcase, when I arrived at the ticket counter.
    (At that time, you had to "declare" any firearms to the airline representative BEFORE taking the luggage to the TSA station at BWI. - Once "declared", the airline agent put a RED TAG on the outside of the "outer locked container")

When I told the ticket agent that I had a cased/unloaded handgun & one box of ammo in my luggage, the agent literally SCREAMED, "HE'S GOT A GUN." = People scattered in every direction.
    (Quickly, a young MD Transportation Authority arrived, drawing his handgun.)
    The LEO said, to me (I was in uniform), "What the H is going on."
    I said, "I told the lady that I have an unloaded, cased pistol & a box of ammo in my suitcase & she started screaming that, "He has a gun." (The LEO then called someone on his radio.)
    A MD Transport Police SGT soon arrived & said, "EVERYBODY SETTLE DOWN & RIGHT NOW.".
    The SGT talked to the police officer, to the ticket agent (She said to the SGT, "NOBODY but the police should own a gun. I want that guy arrested.") & then to me. Then the SGT said, "Mrs. G___________, you owe this man an apology & I will be discussing your deportment with your superiors & with the Airport Manager."
    (Thanks be to God that the veteran SGT arrived, as he was THE calm, level-headed person in this incident. - Even I was "quite upset", as I was afraid of what the young LEO might do with his drawn handgun.)
    About 20-30 minutes later, I boarded the airliner, the flight departed for DFW & I therefore don't know what happened at BWI thereafter.

yours, satx

Good lawt. That would have been the last time on that airline.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    stdreb27,

All these years later, I am still RELIEVED that NOBODY (especially me!) got shot in that incident. - I believe that it was "a near thing."

yours, satx

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I do not use TSA locks on either.
    You are in their presence when they ask you to open it to inspect and after that they have no further need to open your luggage. No one else needs to open it either after it has passed inspection. That is how I have always done it
    This is incorrect. Everytime I have flown with a handgun the TSA has conducted a secondary inspection of my bag outside of my presence. They will either cut off your lock or hold your luggage if they decide to check your bag and cannot get in.

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    This is incorrect. Everytime I have flown with a handgun the TSA has conducted a secondary inspection of my bag outside of my presence. They will either cut off your lock or hold your luggage if they decide to check your bag and cannot get in.

Just shows the inconsistent application of the rules. This has never happened to me, and is not supposed to happen. The initial rules were to use a TSA lock, but that changed to only you should have the key, and TSA can/will ask you to open the case. I have always taken the slide off, and magazines out, and usually they never ask to open the case at all. It's been a few years, and I have never flown out of DFW with a weapon. I have always waited for TSA to tell me it has cleared before going to my gate, but that may or may not be possible depending on the airport.
    I have been stopped in some airports for lighters, small pen knives, darts, and even some small screwdrivers in laptop bags. All after passing with the same items multiple times before. It depends on the TSA agents and the supervisor at that airport, and I don't argue with them, as you you generally cannot win.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just shows the inconsistent application of the rules. This has never happened to me, and is not supposed to happen. The initial rules were to use a TSA lock, but that changed to only you should have the key, and TSA can/will ask you to open the case.

Ok, lets be clear

* Non-TSA lock on the actual gun case.
    * TSA lock on the luggage inside which the separate gun case is stored.

TSA has the right to again inspect your luggage outside of your presence without opening the gun case.

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    TX,
    with all due respect, just because it isn't your preferred way, doesn't make it wrong. As far as I know, my luggage has never gone through a second TSA inspection. The inspection they do in my presence is very thorough, looking through everything, not just the pistol case. They even do the chemical tests with the wipes. There would be no reason (in my mind), for a second test.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TX,
    with all due respect, just because it isn't your preferred way, doesn't make it wrong. As far as I know, my luggage has never gone through a second TSA inspection. The inspection they do in my presence is very thorough, looking through everything, not just the pistol case. They even do the chemical tests with the wipes. There would be no reason (in my mind), for a second test.

I am telling you that they CAN perform a second inspection. But it's not my lock that will get cut off nor my bag left behind if I miss the PA call for me. You do whatever you want.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I took two last year, but I had them both in a rifle case. Those Americase aluminum rigs are pretty sweet. I had my rifle on one side, and my pistol on the other side, wrapped up in towels. mags (unloaded) and plastic ammo boxes stacked around the pistol.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Fwiw, in the days when a RED TAG was attached to the OUTSIDE of the suitcase that had a firearm inside, MANY travelers had their firearms STOLEN between the time that the airline agent & TSA inspected/tagged the luggage & when the owner reclaimed the luggage at the destination. = ATL was "notorious" for stolen firearms back then.
    (IMO, anybody who had "a lick of sense" could have foreseen that.)

yours, satx

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Here is what I'm rolling with
    Small gun for 2 legged critters
    Big gun for 4 legged critters
    20190514_173618.jpg

Attachments

• 20190514_173618.jpg
      20190514_173618.jpg
      958.1 KB · Views: 396

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Total junk and antique. Please send to me for proper disposal.

Really cool Ruger. Is it a Alaskan?
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, It’s an Alaskan.

I bought it within 2 months of getting back from my last trip there as a promise to myself that I would return.
    I got it custom fitted with an awesome leather chest rig. Bear guns in back packs are of no use.

Top Bottom