• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've traveled many, many times with a single checked handgun but I've never tried checking more than one.
    Is this an issue?
    Can they both be in the same hard case?
    Capitol Armory ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    4BCAC844-CC82-492D-84B4-E95B0297054F.png

Attachments

• 4BCAC844-CC82-492D-84B4-E95B0297054F.png
      4BCAC844-CC82-492D-84B4-E95B0297054F.png
      14.9 KB · Views: 256

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Not an issue as long as rules are followed. Check the airline liability limits though; it would suck to lose them and not be reimbursed.

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    I've traveled many, many times with a single checked handgun but I've never tried checking more than one.
    Is this an issue?
    I often have checked 2 in the same case. Once checked 3 in 2 cases. Have done this only on Southwest Airlines.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I have checked on 3 pistols and an ar in the same case with no issue on southwest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have one large hard sided suitcase. I really want to put two handguns inside that with my clothes.
    I’m going to have the handguns in 2 separate soft cases in the large hard sides suitcase and use a TSA combo lock to lock the zippers together.
    I have read the policies online and see nothing wrong with this as long as I declare them.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I have one large hard sided suitcase. I really want to put two handguns inside that with my clothes.
    I’m going to have the handguns in 2 separate soft cases in the large hard sides suitcase and use a TSA combo lock to lock the zippers together.
    I have read the policies online and see nothing wrong with this as long as I declare them.
    Technically you are correct But I ran into a hassle with AA and Delta over them being in a soft case with hardside lockable luggage. I would put guns in a hard side case to avoid the hassle. They cared not that I printed the TSA regs out. AA had already checked my bag so I left to TSA as she looked for her mgr. TSA confirmed but the mgr. Was pissed. I bought a case for the Delta flight to avoid the hassle.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Technically you are correct But I ran into a hassle with AA and Delta over them being in a soft case with hardside lockable luggage. I would put guns in a hard side case to avoid the hassle. They cared not that I printed the TSA regs out. AA had already checked my bag so I left to TSA as she looked for her mgr. TSA confirmed but the mgr. Was pissed. I bought a case for the Delta flight to avoid the hassle.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Good point.
    I just dug out a slim, hard sided pistol case that has the hole for a lock
    I'm not giving them any chance to screw with me

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    I would never use a TSA lock.
    You are required to be the only one with the key/combination. You unlock it for them

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Last trip home from Africa I was seated next to the handgun hunting editor for Peterson's magazine. We talked from South Africa to Atlanta about guns & hunting & enjoyed the long flight. In Atlanta he was in front of me @ customs & they were checking gun cases as they do. He had what looked like a large brief case with 3 scoped pistols. I had a Pelican travel vault with 2 rifle & a pistol.

The customs agent asked him to prove he was not importing his guns in. This guy looked dumb struck. About that time the guys says I'm the Handgun Hunting Editor for Peterson's Magazine. I was really just wanting to get out of customs so I threw my vault up on the table opened the case & showed the customs guy my form 4457. The custom agent seen my paper work & didn't even bother checking anything. He did rip into the guy from Peterson's. Customs might have gone easier on him if he didn't act like he was some seasoned overseas traveller with guns. Needles to say as I was locking my case he was being pulled aside to was his boots & a more detail inspection.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    When I fly with firearms, I fly Southwest. They have always seemed to be the most lenient with rules/regulations. I don't recall any other airline allowing me to fly with loaded magazines in the same case as the firearms.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Is this an issue?

vmax,

I've traveled several times with a pair of unloaded handguns in a locked hard-sided Samsonite suitcase with the locked two- pistol hard-side case inside.

Even at LAX, the TSA agents were polite.

yours, satx

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I would never use a TSA lock.
    You are required to be the only one with the key/combination. You unlock it for them
    Clarification:
    The hard gun case inside has a normal padlock on it
    The big suitcase will have the TSA lock

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    Clarification:
    The hard gun case inside has a normal padlock on it
    The big suitcase will have the TSA lock
    I do not use TSA locks on either.
    You are in their presence when they ask you to open it to inspect and after that they have no further need to open your luggage. No one else needs to open it either after it has passed inspection. That is how I have always done it

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've taken 4 regularly back and forth to Phoenix thru love and DFW. All in the same small locking cabellas gun case. 2 on each level and the ammo in original boxes on the bottom. Locked that after declaring and then locked in a hard sided suitcase.

I always use a locking hard case inside a hard suitcase with tsa locks. It limits hoplophobes behind the counter wringing their hands too much or misreading the law and the airlines rules. A hard locking gun case in a hard locking suitcase deletes this issue all together. Kinda eliminates stupid arguments you dont need or have time for.

Always remember to check the Airlines rules and print them off. Their ignorance is to be expected and isnt a battle your going to win without the rules in hand in the time you have before flights.

I've never had trouble with tsa. It's always a hand wringer who thinks inanimate objects can do something all on their own or the planes will fall out of the sky with a gun in checked baggage.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Can the Ammo be in the same locked box as the handgun? Can the magazine be loaded in the locked box?

480 Ruger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Mich
    Can the Ammo be in the same locked box as the handgun? Can the magazine be loaded in the locked box?

1. yes
    2. yes
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Ammunition
    • Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
    • Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

Top Bottom