• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Here in Texas we can ether open carry or conceal carry with or without a permit. For many reasons, I personally like to conceal carry. So my question is, If open carry is legal and I just happen to reach up and expose my firearm or it prints. Do I have to worry about any legal issues?
    One would think if open carry is legal, printing or exposing your firearm when attempting to conceal wouldn't be a legal issue. But laws can sometimes be tricky or make no sense at all.
    Lynx Defense

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So my question is, If open carry is legal and I just happen to reach up and expose my firearm or it prints. Do I have to worry about any legal issues?
    No.

Unless you're carrying a pink Glock then you may get showerd with dildos. Or propositioned by certain folks who have secret Glock collections.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Here in Texas we can ether open carry or conceal carry with or without a permit. For many reasons, I personally like to conceal carry. So my question is, If open carry is legal and I just happen to reach up and expose my firearm or it prints. Do I have to worry about any legal issues?
    One would think if open carry is legal, printing or exposing your firearm when attempting to conceal wouldn't be a legal issue. But laws can sometimes be tricky or make no sense at all.
    Remember, open carry requires a holster and concealed carry does not. Everything depends on what authority you are carrying under, LTC vs permitless, and whether signs are present. Printing is not illegal and is not considered open carry and was legal before open carry was.
    I wish the legislators could pass understandable and rational laws but that will never happen.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

You are overthinking the issue, which didn't even exist prior to open carry!

Both types of carry are allowed, period.

Nothing prevents a person from transitioning from one type to another, which I do all the time when I see a 30.07 sign such as entering HEB.

The only time open carry could be an issue if you are in a location with 30.07 legally posted, and someone catches sight of your pistol.

At that point, the only thing "they" (someone with the authority to act on behalf of the property owner) can do is ask you to leave; and the only issue would be if you fail to do so.

If the police are called, all they will do is ask you to leave. Again, the only issue will be your failing to do so.

By the way, all the above information is readily available from reputable sources (e.g., DPS). I recommend you research such questions yourself and don't depend on anonymous individuals for legal advice, including myself!

At a minimum, you need to verify everything I've written is correct.

You will find a lot of bad/inaccurate legal advice on this forum!

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    If you open carry, keep a nice vest in your car, or a very light jacket that you can wear with anything and you can easily conceal it if needed. Technically, you can even conceal it with a sock... BTDT.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Print is a non-issue. First, 99.999% of the people will never notice. Or will assume it is a cell phone case. Second, If it is underneath a shirt/jacket/whatever it is covered and thus concealed.

Momentary exposure of the gun is extremely unlikely to be an issue.

jason237m

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2023
    DFW
    Print is a non-issue. First, 99.999% of the people will never notice. Or will assume it is a cell phone case. Second, If it is underneath a shirt/jacket/whatever it is covered and thus concealed.

Momentary exposure of the gun is extremely unlikely to be an issue.
    agree on the printing, anyone clever enough to notice will most assuredly either not care or be glad another "good guy" is around

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    This is especially true among motorcycle riders but I have been seeing lots of them in my area trying to conceal their guns but the shirt is not long enough I can see the tip of their pistol. This was true among one guy I saw ay Oreily Auto part store and I could tell he was carrying a Beretta 92 and when he walked out he jumped on his motorcycle.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    When I hit the Lotto?

Anyone know where to find a good ankle holster?

1680881917796.png

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

If the police are called, all they will do is ask you to leave. Again, the only issue will be your failing to do so.

By the way, all the above information is readily available from reputable sources (e.g., DPS). I recommend you research such questions yourself and don't depend on anonymous individuals for legal advice, including myself!

At a minimum, you need to verify everything I've written is correct.

You will find a lot of bad/inaccurate legal advice on this forum!
    Theoretically if you open carried past a properly posted 30.07 sign you could be issued a summons for a $200 no-jail Class C misdemeanor if a police officer was present. If you refused to leave you could be charged with a Class A misdemeanor with up to 1 year in jail $5000 fine. Practically if someone noticed and a store employee came over and asked you to leave and you left, nothing would happen.

Oh and you will find a lot of bad/inaccurate legal advice from DPS, local LEO, and particularly from prepaid legal service lawyers.

Top Bottom