TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Long standing member's accounts have been hacked.
    I took this screen shot from one of those times.

1704292722616.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thank you for re-opening old wounds. :)

Seriously, though, if I hadn't been online at the moment that hack happened, I shudder to think of the damage that would have resulted. I couldn't fix anything but at least I could get the word to those who could.

ETA - I feel much better now that I'm using TFA on here. I firmly believe everyone should do the same.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    We should form an Anarcho-Sydicalist commune. We'll take turns to act as sort of an executive officer of the week to determine who can sell in the classifieds.

But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratifed at special bi-weekly meetings by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a 2/3rds majority in more...

Mods? Order us around? Who do they think they are?

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

Attachments

• 1704294823302.jpeg
      1704294823302.jpeg
      547.7 KB · Views: 30
    • 65204487285__1376AFDD-419A-4D39-B6C0-913FA5AB853E.jpeg
      65204487285__1376AFDD-419A-4D39-B6C0-913FA5AB853E.jpeg
      574.9 KB · Views: 29
    • 65204491130__19B74824-6304-435E-8C7B-AC8199D11C94.jpeg
      65204491130__19B74824-6304-435E-8C7B-AC8199D11C94.jpeg
      474.7 KB · Views: 26

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thank you for re-opening old wounds. :)

Seriously, though, if I hadn't been online at the moment that hack happened, I shudder to think of the damage that would have resulted. I couldn't fix anything but at least I could get the word to those who could.

ETA - I feel much better now that I'm using TFA on here. I firmly believe everyone should do the same.

I remember logging on and seeing that. I was so confused.

:laughing:

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Ahh the great ammo scam of 2021. The best one we have had. Got me on that one and my BS meter is normally set on high
    Well when an established member is doing the selling, and other well known members and a moderator vouch for the guy, it can be very enticing.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Let's take a look at this undesireable seller. They stumble on our forum and decide they want to join because it is big, active, and they can reach a lot of folks to sell their wares. What will deter a person who does not want to invest in this community, but only quickly sell their items? It's TIME. Having a waiting period (as other forums do) will deter those who want to quickly sell NOW. That is why they are posting 25 crap posts in a single night...they want to advertise NOW and sell NOW. You won't weed them all out, but it should be an improvement over the current system.

This will not stop an existing member who joined over x months ago, but if the post limit is in effect, hopefully they did get in 25 good posts in that time and will continue that habit. If not, then at least they made a contribution (hopefully meaningful). I don't think someone is going to post 25 crap posts in a night and then come back after x months to start posting their ads. They will have forgotten about TGT or sold elsewhere.

1 months could work here, 2 is better, but 3 months should be most effective.

Or we could implement the above..

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What you may want to consider and it may well generate donations from current members who are not currently donating members, is that you require a regular donation of $25 to be able to enter the for sale area to post in the for sale & WTB threads, entry into those threads would be a benefit of donating plain and simple - with no other way to get into those threads. Leave it simple like that - no donation / no admittance to the sale & WTB threads and thus no overabundance of ridiculous meaningless posts to reach number 25 for new members who want to sell. I would think that the regular $25 donation fee would be the way to go because it would eliminate lots of ridiculous threads, it would be kept simple and $25.00 for the privilege of posting in the for sale & WTB threads is not a large cash burden for someone seeking to to sell items or look for items for sale. More revenue for the site is my bet as the result; maybe there would be a few less postings of things for sale (by tightwads) but my guess is that most dedicated & serious members and all serious sellers or WTB folks would be willing to cough up the clams and it would benefit the site's coffers.

By the way, using this site is well worth a $25 annual donation. Now that I have written that, someone remind me if I am up to date as being a donating member. I just renewed on another forum, that one says donated member under my avatar, this one does not and I do not see a way to check on that myself. Thanks.

Edited to add: While I was sure I had donated recently, I guess not since I did not see the TGT Supporter banner under my avatar, so I just donated. I hope this thread https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/donations.44751/ showed the correct way to donate, to be considered a TGT supporter otherwise some guy named Alan LaFrance just got $25 richer.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom