MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Define "active member".
    I understand the intent of your question.

It doesn't need to be 'defined' quantifiably or qualitatively. That's the beauty part of this idea.

The purpose of 'active member' being included in the rule, is only to let the new person know they'll be judged by potential purchasers of what their selling; and members can decide for themselves from those posts if they're interested in interacting or not.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    How does "upping the supporter fee to $20 discourage someone from forking out $20 just to pm scam"?

It doesn't, any more than the existing $10 fee would.
    It does, however, increase revenue to the site - if someone was going to do it anyway. Not sure when the $10 amount was established, but it should be more now than the cost of a gourmet coffee.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I understand the intent of your question.

It doesn't need to be 'defined' quantifiably or qualitatively. That's the beauty part of this idea.

The purpose of 'active member' being included in the rule, is only to let the new person know they'll be judged by potential purchasers of what their selling; and members can decide for themselves from those posts if they're interested in interacting or not.

Just like the current "quality posts" should.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    @benenglish 's recent post elsewhere gave me an idea -

Lose the post count thing entirely.
    Increase the annual TGT Supporter to $20.
    Change Rule #1 in the Classified forum to read this:

1) Texas Gun Talk is a discussion forum, and the Classified section is a secondary function for established members to occasionally move some merchandise between friends. To participate in the classifieds forum you must have been an active member for a minimum of one month, or upgrade your Membership to a Site Supporter. This rule was added to weed out scammers and gives TGT members a chance to get a feel for you as a board member before they decide whether or not to buy/sell/trade with you.

IF the forum software can accommodate the join date requirement... here's why I think it would work:

1) Existing members (longer than one month and regardless of Supporter status) are not affected in any manner.

2) When a new person joins only to sell something, they'll have to decide if they want to pay $20 for the privilege. Other than time spent on the forum there would be no other work around, and the race to 25 would not occur.

There's also this aspect:

3) Because TGT wants listing offers/etc to be in PMs, rather than in the classified thread itself, lose the count requirements for PMs. If the new member upgrades to Supporter, that requirement is gone anyway.

I dont know how big the (non-classified) PM scam problem is; I've never been hit with it. But it seems to me there are other ways to avert PM scams. Scammers can be easily blocked, ignored, and reported. Upping the Supporter fee would discourage someone from forking out $20 just to PM scam, only to be easily booted and quickly.

All thoughts welcome.
    Or, just let us shitpost their ads.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, but if someone in El Paso has a gun for sale you're really wanting and you live in Texarkana, that can be difficult.
    That's just how it goes. On every post someone makes you can easily see their participation level in the forum and you can do your own due diligence. It really doesn't matter what rules are set for being allowed to post something for sale. A dedicated scammer will get around it, including just paying to post as has already been noted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom