• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Those of you lucky enough to own acreage in the country and have put up supplies and have access to water have the best chance of surviving a long term event.

I've graded myself and my preps, just like they do on "Doomsday Preppers" but instead of giving myself "X" number of months to survive I look at percentages.

Realistically, in my current position I give myself a 50% chance of surviving one year of an extended event.

If I owned acreage in the country, with all the supplies and skills I have (farming, military engineering, weapons, and fieldcraft), I'd give myself a 95% chance of surviving a year.

You guys with land got it made.

The biggest difficulty I've found with having land is protecting my resources.

I believe that is where creating a community environment with neighbors will be key. Mutual protection, bartering and trade, and mutual help with maintenance issues.

Course, there's always that one neighbor who will likely be a problem.
    ARJ Defense ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Why couldn't a manual pump work if power goes out? They were using them before there was electricity.
    Ha
    Not at 130 foot they weren't

Someone may have something they say will work at that depth but my well is set for electricity
    If it goes out for a long time I know I can get water this way and less parts to break
    This is just the choice I made for my situation and thought someone else might benefit from it

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a shallow well.

No way one one would sustain modern water usage, but we can survive on much less than what we currently use.

The trick is figuring out if there is any shallow water in the area.

I have other sources, but being able to pull water up in the back yard would be ideal. Currently we are on CO-OP water supply. Converting an existing well just isn't and option and drilling a full depth water well isn't an economical choice for me.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The biggest difficulty I've found with having land is protecting my resources.

I believe that is where creating a community environment with neighbors will be key. Mutual protection, bartering and trade, and mutual help with maintenance issues.

Course, there's always that one neighbor who will likely be a problem.

I agree with this^ completely. Having a group will help those chances. I know my wife, children and I can't possibly defend all of our resources and land 24hrs a day. Having neighbors that you can communicate with and can protect your flanks is valuable.

The book Patriots can give good insight in certain situations. I've read two of James Wesley Rawles latest books. They certainly make you think of different situations that could take place. How to deal with watch shifts, delegating responsibilities,and how to govern a small group. Military tactics and general survival info. Good read.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I agree with this^ completely. Having a group will help those chances. I know my wife, children and I can't possibly defend all of our resources and land 24hrs a day. Having neighbors that you can communicate with and can protect your flanks is valuable.

The book Patriots can give good insight in certain situations. I've read two of James Wesley Rawles latest books. They certainly make you think of different situations that could take place. How to deal with watch shifts, delegating responsibilities,and how to govern a small group. Military tactics and general survival info. Good read.

Rawels is awesome

I wished I could pull up and move to the American Redoubt

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    One thing I did a while back that some may find helpful.

I took a spiral notebook and went to the first page. I thought of what would be the most important resource. Usually that's water.

I wrote "water" right in the middle and drew a circle around it. Then I made legs off of that circle and brainstormed every possible source of water I could think of. Then for each source I listed the pros and cons for that source from risks, to reliability, to work required.

I did the same for food, shelter, defense, communication, transportation, etc.

Some would lead to needing other pages to determine feasibility. Such as food. The requirements to store certain foods will lead to another page for food storage options.

I spent some time on it and it really helped me get out of the box in looking at options that I may not have thought of, and seeing problems in options that I thought would have been great.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Those of you lucky enough to own acreage in the country and have put up supplies and have access to water have the best chance of surviving a long term event.

I've graded myself and my preps, just like they do on "Doomsday Preppers" but instead of giving myself "X" number of months to survive I look at percentages.

Realistically, in my current position I give myself a 50% chance of surviving one year of an extended event.

If I owned acreage in the country, with all the supplies and skills I have (farming, military engineering, weapons, and fieldcraft), I'd give myself a 95% chance of surviving a year.

You guys with land got it made.

I don't. But I might have one better. I have several friends that know me and trust me (or in a few cases parents or grandparents of friends who I have at least convinced that I'm not a total dumbass and that I'm not allergic to hard work) with houses and/or land in several directions at several distances from here. There should be several places where I'm at least welcome to drop in if SHTF, if not hoped to stay indefinitely.

The percentage is a pretty good way to think about it. You could have a great set up, but if you get a random infection that is resistant to your broad spectrum and selection of specific antibiotics, you're going to die. Unlikely, but it might happen. Or you could be living in your attic with no preps, but find that your neighbor's abandoned pool works like a purifying cistern and have a twinkie truck wreck in your back yard behind a bush.

But I'd rather stack the odds in my favor.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Rawles is crazy. And in incredibly bad self-editor.

who has put better, more practical information out there in such a high volume over the past decade?
    Cody Lundin who don't even have sense enough to wear shoes?

if you have a problem with Rawles you are in the minority for sure.

he has authored several best selling books on the topic, has founded and ran a very popular blog for years, was an Army Intelligence officer who refused to serve under Clinton and resigned his commission. No, he's not crazy, he's a patriot warning others of whats coming and helping people prepare

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    who has put better, more practical information out there in such a high volume over the past decade?
    Cody Lundin who don't even have sense enough to wear shoes?

if you have a problem with Rawles you are in the minority for sure.

he has authored several best selling books on the topic, has founded and ran a very popular blog for years, was an Army Intelligence officer who refused to serve under Clinton and resigned his commission. No, he's not crazy, he's a patriot warning others of whats coming and helping people prepare

Lol. Most of his stuff is impractical and unrealistic. His visions of how things are going to fall apart are continually proven completely incorrect. I couldn't find anyone with an electronic copy of his patriots book.

The reason most people don't have a problem with him is because they have no idea who he is or what he says.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If you live near ranches, look for runoff chanels from springs. There are, surprising enough, more of them in central and east Texas than most realize.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Lol. Most of his stuff is impractical and unrealistic. His visions of how things are going to fall apart are continually proven completely incorrect. I couldn't find anyone with an electronic copy of his patriots book.

The reason most people don't have a problem with him is because they have no idea who he is or what he says.

It is called Fiction for a reason, with alot of poetic license thrown in to make it interesting....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never read the books, but it kinda reminds me of the Max Brooks books about surviving a zombie apocalypse. Completely absurd to think of the undead walking the streets, but it seems he researched a lot of the strategies and they are fairly sound in terms of SHTF.

Completely fictitious though.

Top Bottom