• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Interesting idea, but actually, the suits don't work that way. They require positive pressure on the inside, and vent out. Further, one of the not so pleasant and not well advertised effects of most VHF's is bloody discharge and serious diarrhea.

Somehow I doubt the OP was considering a positive pressure suit with SCBA. Those are extremely rare for bio hazards. And extremely expensive.

And I think the "discharge" issue is common knowledge.

But the most important point, it was a joke.
    Target Sports

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Symptoms are easily searchable, no sense listing them all. Basics are fever, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and bleeding around the gums.
    Yes, but your previous statement was in regards to the incubation period, not a symptomatic person.

The latter danger is more easily and better defended against by hand washing an a bottle of Purell.

So if I come into contact with the bodily fluids of an infected and symptomatic person, I just need to wash my hands?

Seriously trying to get my head around this. Did the nurse in Dallas just not wash her hands? It can't be that simple......

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Can you elaborate? we talking minutes, hours...? What conditions does it need to survive?
    CNN answer. ..

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/health/ebola-us-reader-questions/

Canadian version of CDC

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) (39.2°F) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

A study on transmission of ebolavirus from fomites in an isolation ward concludes that the risk of transmission is low when recommended infection control guidelines for viral hemorrhagic fevers are followed Footnote 64. Infection control protocols included decontamination of floors with 0.5% bleach daily and decontamination of visibly contaminated surfaces with 0.05% bleach as necessary.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php

I can assure you, as a hvac controls programmer, the humidity and temp requirements for most of the above don't exist in most public restrooms.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So if I come into contact with the bodily fluids of an infected and symptomatic person, I just need to wash my hands?

Seriously trying to get my head around this. Did the nurse in Dallas just not wash her hands? It can't be that simple......

For the in depth info your looking for, I would recommend googling it and finding the info available on the disease.

That's what myself and several other have done. It gives detailed info on the estimated life span of the virus in different conditions as well as it's susceptibility to different common disinfectants and UV light, etc.

As far as the nurse, who knows. Doesn't look like anybody had a camera on her. As a simple matter of logic, 1 person out of the many completely unprotected people, as well as the protected hospital staff has caught the virus. Including those who had been in his apartment.

It's not exactly spreading like wildfire. There is still time for more to crop up, but most have made it past the average incubation time and it is more likely that they did not catch Ebola.

We can't say just how the nurse was infected because nobody knows exactly where the slip up occurred. It could have been something absent minded that even she didn't notice such as wrong some sweat from her face after removing her PPE and before washing her hands.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you for the links Winchester.

All: I recommend you take the time to read the entire Public Health Agency of Canada report on the Ebola Virus, it's comprehensive, informative.....and somewhat frightening. The Ebola virus genome has been found in rodents and they are suspected to be one of the vectors, along with primates, bats, and possibly dogs.

Ebola Virus can survive in semen and be viable for up to 7 weeks. Did Patient Zero have sex with his fiancee?

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I can assure you, as a hvac controls programmer, the humidity and temp requirements for most of the above don't exist in most public restrooms.

While I will not dispute the temp part, as an residential HVAC inspector (certified HERS Field Inspector), I will dispute the humidity part. Doesn't take much for poor installation, poor maintenance or defective equipment to cause a frozen coil leading to some pretty high humidity. I see it fairly often here in Austin homes (these problems are almost always fixed before anybody closes on said homes though). Granted this is in private homes (and sometimes apartments) that I have experience with and the chances of these conditions correlating to someone with Ebola getting sick and then another person coming around and picking up the virus are pretty darned low (although certainly higher an an old poorly maintained apartment like the one Thomas stayed in). Sorry to get all technical but I'm a sucker for semantics :D

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    While I will not dispute the temp part, as an residential HVAC inspector (certified HERS Field Inspector), I will dispute the humidity part. Doesn't take much for poor installation, poor maintenance or defective equipment to cause a frozen coil leading to some pretty high humidity. I see it fairly often here in Austin homes. Granted this is in private homes (and sometimes apartments) that I have experience with and the chances of these conditions correlating to someone with Ebola getting sick and then another person coming around and picking up the virus are pretty darned low (although certainly higher an an old poorly maintained apartment like the one Thomas stayed in). Sorry to get all technical but I'm a sucker for semantics :D
    I dispute nothing if what you say, however, read it again. The humidity levels required are very low, not high. 35-40
    Most of the time I'm lucky to get indoor rh down to 50

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thank you for the links Winchester.

All: I recommend you take the time to read the entire Public Health Agency of Canada report on the Ebola Virus, it's comprehensive, informative.....and somewhat frightening. The Ebola virus genome has been found in rodents and they are suspected to be one of the vectors, along with primates, bats, and possibly dogs.

Ebola Virus can survive in semen and be viable for up to 7 weeks. Did Patient Zero have sex with his fiancee?

Yup. Educating yourself is key. Although I found it to be much less frightening once I educated myself on the matter. I honestly believe a lot of the "freak out" type posts I see are caused by a lack of education on the subject.

As to the fiancé, I doubt it, because I don't think his return had anything to do with her or the son. It just worked out as an easy excuse for getting out of Africa and has made a good story for the good reverend and the media.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Well, some do. The ones in the labs are positive pressure of course and provide limited mobility but the Haz Mat suits to be used outside of the labs are of two types. With one type the wearer is completely sealed in and requires use of a Scott or MSA Air Pack and yes, pressure will eventually increase in the suit from your exhalations and will vent.

The other covers all but your face which is covered by a mask and filter. The mask is "sealed" to the hood of the suit by tape. This type is not Positive Pressure.

Yep. I assumed he wanted the full tilt level 4 suit. Not sure something less would be appropriate, but something may be better than nothing.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

Basically. But she would have had to wash her hands before she absentmindedly rubbed her eyes or bite a fingernail. People touch their faces all the time without thinking about it.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I dispute nothing if what you say, however, read it again. The humidity levels required are very low, not high. 35-40
    Most of the time I'm lucky to get indoor rh down to 50

Dohhh....reading comprehension FTL. Got a little ahead of myself there. Yes you are correct that humidity levels that low are rare, especially in Texas. In dessert areas, maybe not so much unless of course you are using a swamp cooler.

Once again, sorry. Been a long summer inspecting homes in the busiest real estate market in the country atm. Been working some insane hours.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep. I assumed he wanted the full tilt level 4 suit. Not sure something less would be appropriate, but something may be better than nothing.

Lol, wut?

Level for is much more than is needed and the extra work needed to remove it would probably pose more risk than wearing the level of PPE necessary. Something less than level 4 would be entirely appropriate.

Level 4 positive pressure suits are for airborne contaminants. Ebola is not.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas

Lol, that's what I've been saying all along. And the case of the nurse is somebody who knows she's in contact with a person with Ebola. What about when people don't know they have it and are out and about with a mild fever, sweats, etc.? Yeah, everyone out in public washes their hands compulsively enough to prevent getting sick. And at what exact point does an infected person with symptoms start becoming contagious? Symptoms can develop gradually and may go unnoticed for a while or just be blown off.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Lol, wut?

Level for is much more than is needed and the extra work needed to remove it would probably pose more risk than wearing the level of PPE necessary. Something less than level 4 would be entirely appropriate.

Level 4 positive pressure suits are for airborne contaminants. Ebola is not.

though CDC recommends labs working with it to use Level 4 equipment, no?

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Yup. Educating yourself is key. Although I found it to be much less frightening once I educated myself on the matter. I honestly believe a lot of the "freak out" type posts I see are caused by a lack of education on the subject.

Wikipedia does not count as getting "educated."

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    When it's time to die... it's time to die. Stop trying so hard other than shelter, water, food, clothing and fuel for the relatively short term... 90-180 days. Beyond 30 days you be taking more lives than you're saving.

Still curious as to what you meant with the last sentence of your post Mike.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    though CDC recommends labs working with it to use Level 4 equipment, no?

There is a difference between risk levels when working with multiple diseases on a daily basis in that type if environment. Especially if they are "playing" with it. They also have much more adequate facilities for deconing those level 4 suites.

Not to mention the fact that they don't want the lab tech contaminating any samples with something they brought in.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wikipedia does not count as getting "educated."

Correct, and that's why I didn't use it for a source.

You would learn much more about this if you would actually educate yourself instead if trying to twist things to fit your preconceived notion and ignoring anything that may be evidence that you are incorrect in many of your assumptions.

But what fun is that?

It's not hard to find this information from credible sources, and the chain of events we've seen in Dallas doesn't support the borderline hysteria some here are showing. Yet some persist in this silly idea that Ebola is spreading like wildfire and has somehow become airborne or is being spread from airplanes mixed in with the chemtrails.

Meanwhile, while your dying of dehydration in your level 4 bio suit I'll be drinking a big cup if sweet tea with a bottle of Purell in my pocket.

This ain't rocket science people. Just read a little bit with an unbiased attitude. The answers are there.

Top Bottom