• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The hunters around here ice down their hogs with salt in large coolers for up to 10 days before they process the meat. It's some of the best pork that I've ever eaten!

The point here is to not shoot them like rats and let them rot. That is damned good food!

Flash
    Guns International

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The hunters around here ice down their hogs with salt in large coolers for up to 10 days before they process the meat. It's some of the best pork that I've ever eaten!

The point here is to not shoot them like rats and let them rot. That is damned good food!

Flash
    I have seen first hand the damage a sounder of feral hogs can do to crops in one night. A watermelon patch, cantaloupes, corn & green bean plots all destroyed. And this was not someones garden, rather a farm that grows produce to sell.

When asked the land owner said whack em & stack em! The problem was they had move on to the next piece of land for more of the same. They aint just eating all the corn under a deer feeder they do damage. I've seen more the a few armadillos ambushed for damaging lawns & gardens. When hogs hit the same places they get dragged off from where they drop. Few people want to eat a big old boar hog!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When hogs hit the same places they get dragged off from where they drop. Few people want to eat a big old boar hog!

Those big ones are nasty. I tried to eat one. I could barely clean it. The stench is awful, the taste is awful.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Interesting article. It said that current status is you have to prove hogs are doing damage before you can shoot them without a license?

If hogs are around, the damage is obvious. I've been told you can't harvest the meat without a license, but your're free to shoot them, especially on your own or leased land.

Luckily they're leaving me alone for the most part, but if/when I get invaded, I'll be starting a thread here asking for eradication help.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Interesting article. It said that current status is you have to prove hogs are doing damage before you can shoot them without a license?

If hogs are around, the damage is obvious. I've been told you can't harvest the meat without a license, but your're free to shoot them, especially on your own or leased land.

Luckily they're leaving me alone for the most part, but if/when I get invaded, I'll be starting a thread here asking for eradication help.
    I predict numerous volunteers.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    but if/when I get invaded, I'll be starting a thread here asking for eradication help.

F956DF78-B677-4069-AD88-B0797B9D3B6D.jpeg

Attachments

• F956DF78-B677-4069-AD88-B0797B9D3B6D.jpeg
      F956DF78-B677-4069-AD88-B0797B9D3B6D.jpeg
      38.7 KB · Views: 301

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Funny roasted pig story. The very first one I ever did in this setting was a test pig. Numerous employees were round as part of the season set up. As I was skewering the pig(not an easy task by yourself) every on started nosing around seeing what I was doing. No one offered to help, but that's another story.

The day before the guy I worked for had me cut up another pig the same size. So on another couple of pits I started cooking other forms of pig meats. The smell got better & better & people started hanging around more the working @ their jobs. Everyone started in with the is it done yet.

These pigs were very freshly slaughtered & this was no grocery store pork! I noticed they came with the kidneys, so I butterflied them both open. They both contained a small amount of urine that had no smell. I'm not scared of eating, so things like kidneys aint no big deal to me. I grilled this 2 kidneys up to perfection, sliced them & offered them up to the peeps bugging me the most. They ate it up like hungry dogs & asked for more! I told them that was just a tease to my skills & asked how was it? Everyone ranted about just how good it was. When someone one asked what part of the hog it was I told them PISS PUMP! Most of them were to stupid to know what piss pump is so when I told them kidney they started in. I basically told them all to STFU. Told them they all ranted about it until they got their pea brains involved.

Y'all should have seen the weekly eating the eyeballs. I educated a lot of people that year about what to eat. In the picture you can see the belly meat is missing & that was done for the top managers to eat. No one took me up on the cracking of the skull for brains. Got strange looks from some on the picking of the meat of the head. Schooled some on just how fast I cut remove the head from a pig with a knife too.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Just looking at that reminds me of an old time Cajun boucherie.
    Everybody got together on a cold weekend, butchered and cooked their hogs, en masse.
    Wanted to know where one was happening, just follow your nose.
    Smelled, and tasted good ... especially the cracklings.

On the kidneys, the Brits eat lamb kidneys.
    My ex Brit wife cooked them and served them with rice.
    Smelled like someone pissed in the skillet when cooking, but damn they're good ...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    deemus,

YEP & the "wee piggies" up to 60# dressed are GREAT going straight onto the smoker whole.

yours, satx

Smoked a 80 lb'er. Feral pigs are not as good smoked IMO. Not enough fat. Maybe I need to try a 40 lb'er. I've smoked a few and I do love it if it's a bought pig. Meat market near me sells them half or whole.

Found a great rub recipe. And it's paired with a apple cider vinegar / orange juice basting. Fantastic table fare.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    How long did it take to roast that pig in the pic? About how much did that one weigh?

Obviously, you were using direct heat and a rotisserie. I assume you're using a really low heat, but I have no idea how to control the temp on direct heat like that.

Dang, I wish I knew more about this. I've been thinking about building a smokehouse. But your pic has me thinking maybe I just need to buy a large smoker with a rotisserie setup.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    GoPappy,

Actually, a wet-smoke pit (We hillbillies from Northeast Texas make them out of junked butane/LPG tanks, a firebox made of heavy-wall pipe & mount the pit on an old boat trailer chassis.) fired with GREEN HICKORY & "regulated" to about 250 degrees until thoroughly cooked throughout is the preferred method.
    (Our family's BBQ pit was once a junked 500 gallon LPG tank, that was cut open & welded-up by a local welder. = Looks UGLY but cooks FINE.)

A Pig BBQ party is a great excuse to sit up overnight drinking beer, playing 42/poker & telling lies with your friends, btw.
    (Fwiw, we often set up a second pit to BBQ chickens, ducks, chunks of venison, etc. to feed the cooking crew & other "hangers on".)

BTW, the ONLY problem with a Pig BBQ Party is that hungry "close friends" (whose names that you don't know = CHUCKLE) tend to show up looking for a handout. = FEW things smell as good as being downwind from a BBQ.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom