• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The government doesn’t care what Sig charges them, it’s not their money being spent…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That was the price for the civilian version.

Given all the DOD ridiculous requirements, who knows how much the government models cost.

Remember the company that was castigated for selling $700 toilet seats to the AF for cargo aircraft back in the 80's? I looked at it and the guy was losing money even at $700 a pop, due to outrageous government specifications, testing requirements, etc. They only took that contract to stay in DOD's good graces for the other stuff they sold in quantity.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That was the price for the civilian version.

Given all the DOD ridiculous requirements, who knows how much the government models cost.

Remember the company that was castigated for selling $700 toilet seats to the AF for cargo aircraft back in the 80's? I looked at it and the guy was losing money even at $700 a pop, due to outrageous government specifications, testing requirements, etc. They only took that contract to stay in DOD's good graces for the other stuff they sold in quantity.
    I'd believe that in a heartbeat. I've been working on trying to figure out how to do some required testing, from the government, for some products we are trying to sell to a subcontractor. Item is ~$3k, testing costs >$16k.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    i doubt the NGSW is actually going to be in service, because the round it fires is stupid hot and the tech being used is far better on something like an M4 or M16 pattern rifle in 5.56mm.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    On paper it would make a good replacement for DMRs, until part life is factored in. 80k psi is absurd.

Too many better calibers that could have been used. The Ukraine situation is exposing concerns of enemy night vision and armor capabilities to be way overblown.

Also... Lancer mags?! That's going to be a disaster. Lancers puke rounds.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    The Army is replacing the M4 standard rifle and M249 (Squad Automatic Weapon) with the Sig XM5 and the Sig XM250. This is a switch from 5.56mm ammo to 6.8mm (built to better penetrate body armor). I read where the XM5 is 2 pounds heavier than the M4. I wouldn’t enjoy packing that along with the standard gear load and ruk. In the 60’s I transitioned from the M14 to the M16 and learned to appreciate the lighter carry. I wonder who the lucky manufacturer is for the 6.8 ammo?

DCF3A2B2-0451-465C-B7B9-09ACF9AA631E.jpeg

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The Army is replacing the M4 standard rifle and M249 (Squad Automatic Weapon) with the Sig XM5 and the Sig XM250. This is a switch from 5.56mm ammo to 6.8mm (built to better penetrate body armor). I read where the XM5 is 2 pounds heavier than the M4. I wouldn’t enjoy packing that along with the standard gear load and ruk. In the 60’s I transitioned from the M14 to the M16 and learned to appreciate the lighter carry. I wonder who the lucky manufacturer is for the 6.8 ammo?

View attachment 332907

IIRC the original solicitation was for a complete system, I thought Sig was also awarded the contract for the ammo to feed these things.

XM5 looksl ike the Sig 556 and the M4 got mooshed together. Similar enough manual of arms that the transition should be pretty easy. Guessing the standard capacity mag will now be 18 or 25 rounds, instead of 20 or 30.

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

View attachment 332907
    Army Brig. Gen. William Boruff, who is in charge of adapting Lake City to produce mass volumes of 6.8x51mm ammo, noted in a news conference that SIG Sauer will provide most of the Army's ammo for the next three to five years while Lake City ramps up production.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Top Bottom