• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I don’t believe anyone said it was ineffective at that range just not optimal, especially with just red dots. The Marines have been training at 500yds for decades and didn’t get an optic until mid 2000s. I used a M16A2 with irons in boot and got a M16A4 with RCO (ACOG) a couple of years later. Could have gotten a M4 when I got promoted later but I liked the 20” barrel.

No shot with a red dot past 300m is optimal. If it was a matter of effectiveness at range we could switch to MANY other calibers with the AR15 platform.

This is about getting off of that platform. That's what they want. Especially due to the new ATF rules.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    No shot with a red dot past 300m is optimal. If it was a matter of effectiveness at range we could switch to MANY other calibers with the AR15 platform.

This is about getting off of that platform. That's what they want. Especially due to the new ATF rules.
    DoD doesn’t give a shit about the ATF. You hearing something different?

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Hot take... screw NATO
    america-flag.gif
    Sadly it matters. They suck fat dongs, but it matters.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    It’s modern marksmanships version of an operational infographic…remember the AFQT for averages for IN is 64% IIIA with ASVAB scores of 50 or better, 33% IIIB/ASVAB 31-49, and 3% IV/ASVAB 10-30.…we’re talking cognitive ability of the average high school graduate composes 2/3ds of the IN and it goes down from there.
    You guys should thank your lucky MRE’s you weren’t around for Project One Hundred Thousand (McNamara’s Morons”) …

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Give me one reason we should switch from the AR15/AR10 platform as a battlerifle. And list specific data that shows a new platform is needed.
    I don’t think we need to. Nor should we.

But how the hell does that have anything to do with the ATF? This is the military industrial complex feed itself and generals setting up contracts for fat kick backs when they retire.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Remember this is an Army choice for select forces and not a wholesale shîtcan of the M16/M4 platform.

The Army’s force structure and employment doctrine is undergoing it’s largest shift since the post Vietnam AirLand Battle doctrine*. While most of the change is at Division and above, AimPoint/Army 2030 envisions a much different Multi Domain Operations fight than has been focused on pretty much since Desert Storm.

Those changes were used to inform NGSW requirements which is why we are where we are today.

* https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF11542

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Remember this is an Army choice for select forces and not a wholesale shîtcan of the M16/M4 platform.

The Army’s force structure and employment doctrine is undergoing it’s largest shift since the post Vietnam AirLand Battle doctrine*. While most of the change is at Division and above, AimPoint/Army 2030 envisions a much different Multi Domain Operations fight than has been focused on pretty much since Desert Storm.

Those changes were used to inform NGSW requirements which is why we are where we are today.

Wealth of information as always thanks for this.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Informative resource, explains a lot. Thanks!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So you're arguing that a soldier should shoot 30, 60, 90 rounds or his basic load and smoke 3 dudes? Within 300m? Or how about shoot 5-10 rounds and smoke 3 dudes. BRM and 7-8 dude.

The Army attempted this long ago with the Krag rifle with the idea that slower firing and well placed shots would be more effective than putting lots of lead down range with “good enough” accuracy. It failed miserably.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I looked at the rifle and caliber they plan on changing over to. I can't see any reason that this should be the typical infantryman weapon. Almost all engagements are within 300 meters and this thing boasts performance above 6.5 creedmor.

You get less rounds, less capacity per magazine, and it's heavier. This is completely stupid. For Specops or special warfare missions I understand, but that 6.8x51 has no more armor penetration than a 5.56 when talking about level 4 plates, which is what most combat troops should and do wear.
    ... And I don't see the Sig having the QCB capability either

Top Bottom