• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    "Country boy can survive" mentality is unrealistic unless one has taken some steps to be prepared. I dont call owning a gun a fishing pole being prepared.

I think the reality is that someone who has truely grown up in the country is much more self-sustaining than a city dweller. You don't just run to town everytime you need something, you either fix it yourself or find a way to make due. Obviously no blanket statement is going to hold true for the entire demographic but more often than not I would put my money on the guy that grew up on a farm.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I concur. Likewise, a true country boy might not last long in a post apocalyptic urban setting.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think the reality is that someone who has truely grown up in the country is much more self-sustaining than a city dweller. You don't just run to town everytime you need something, you either fix it yourself or find a way to make due. Obviously no blanket statement is going to hold true for the entire demographic but more often than not I would put my money on the guy that grew up on a farm.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

They would definitely have an advantage, but without any pre preparation they would be screwed in short order as well. Society is very dependent on distribution lines.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    They would definitely have an advantage, but without any pre preparation they would be screwed in short order as well. Society is very dependent on distribution lines.

Society as we know it has ended in op scenario. The distribution lines for life sustainment goods begin on the farm.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I think the best way would be to set strips of the meat on a skewer and cook it on a vertical rotisseri like they do gyro meat. In fact gyro sauce will mask just about anything.

Another benefit would be that you could add cuts from other animals like dogs, horses, wild game etc...

That actually just made me hungry for gyros.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I live amongst farmers. THEY are the ones that have told me that their farms are not self sustaining. Most farms these days just aren't set up that way. And modern farming techniques require fertilizers and a various assortment of other items that arrive by truck and train. When your tractors don't have fuel and your well pump doesn't have fuel and therefore you have no water and there are no parts available to fix all your farm equipment, things go south quick.

I definately think farmers would have an advantage. Just not as much of an advantage most think. Most farms these days rely on the ability to to distribute products both in and out, just like most other industries.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The modern commercial farm is certainly dependent on supply lines.
    I'm thinking more of the recreational farmer who does it for self satisfaction rather than monetary gain. Lots of "old school" methods that require some elbow grease rather than a tank full of fuel.
    As long as the sun shines and some rain falls it can work.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The modern commercial farm is certainly dependent on supply lines.
    I'm thinking more of the recreational farmer who does it for self satisfaction rather than monetary gain. Lots of "old school" methods that require some elbow grease rather than a tank full of fuel.
    As long as the sun shines and some rain falls it can work.

Agreed

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    My Granny farms the old school way. The only mechanical gizmo she uses is a gas powered tiller but she's also 73.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    She called me awhile back and told me she was going to shoot my donkeys because they got into her radish patch and demolished it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Didn't this scenario involve 3" of ash covering the ground and the sun blocked out, that would knock out most farming.

We have 7 cows and calves on our place and they would probably be killed and the meet salted pretty quickly as the cattle would only lose weight as time went on. Even then it is a limited supply and would have to be replenished eventually.

Biggest problem, I don't know a damn thing about curing the beef to make it last.

Then there are the ones who will be looking for supplies to feed their families, I can only imagine the terrible things that might be done by otherwise good people in this type of event when their family is starving to death and they know you have food.
    On another note, most water at this point would be nearly undrinkable due to the sulfur from the ash. Not sure how dangerous it would truly be but there would probably need to be some type of sustainable filtration system or a manually operated well to expect to survive more than a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Didn't this scenario involve 3" of ash covering the ground and the sun blocked out, that would knock out most farming.

We have 7 cows and calves on our place and they would probably be killed and the meet salted pretty quickly as the cattle would only lose weight as time went on. Even then it is a limited supply and would have to be replenished eventually.

Biggest problem, I don't know a damn thing about curing the beef to make it last.

Then there are the ones who will be looking for supplies to feed their families, I can only imagine the terrible things that might be done by otherwise good people in this type of event when their family is starving to death and they know you have food.
    On another note, most water at this point would be nearly undrinkable due to the sulfur from the ash. Not sure how dangerous it would truly be but there would probably need to be some type of sustainable filtration system or a manually operated well to expect to survive more than a few weeks.

The ash would be somewhat beneficial when tilled into the soil.
    Yep, if the sun don't shine we are all screwed no matter what.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The ash would be somewhat beneficial when tilled into the soil.
    Yep, if the sun don't shine we are all screwed no matter what.

Yeah, just don't know how much is too much.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yeah, just don't know how much is too much.

3" of ash would be a bit much unless tilled to a depth of 1' or so.
    Removal of ash down to topsoil level wouldn't be an impossible task with a shovel and wheelbarrow.
    Just clear what you intend to cultivate.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    No way in hell I'm eating another person no matter how bad it gets. I'll sure as hell shoot'em dead and let'em rot in the sun though if they got any ideas about me or mine. Too many other critters I'd rather eat. I'd eat the bark off a tree first.

Top Bottom