Lynx Defense

Anybody using software other than Outlook for mail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have an old account on MSN that I'd like to keep. I've been using Microsoft Mail for years, but now they're forcing it out and going to Outlook. OK, I've used Outlook and it works ok, but they are forcing the use of Windows 365 Outlook, which requires an annual fee. I probably don't need to say that my first reaction was "F*** that!".

Anybody using something else so I can dodge Microsoft's greed?
    Target Sports

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    I've got an MSN account I access through the Outlook app and on Safari on my Mac. 30 years I've never paid a dime. They go charging it's gone as it is primarily an account for SPAM,

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I'm running thunderbird on Linux if that helps, which it probably doesn't, though it looks like it is available for windows. On my Win7 machine before it crashed I was running eM client and was happy with it.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Another Thunderbird user here. I would say it's less robust than Outlook, but decent and very usable. I started using it for pretty much the same reasons as the OP and it's been several years now. I am on Win7 and find that it does need to be restarted every day or so.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I have Yahoo and gmail. both free. for years. my BL uses earthlink. all free. running Windows laptops. Using Chrome or Firefox or Tor, even Edge sometimes.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    I use FairEmail on my phone for one email account and it is reasonable. Thunderbird has been reliable for me also. The way I get around Micro$oft trying to tie all my account accesswd on any given PC is to use the browser based versions through different browsers such as Opera and Firefox. As always clear cookies religiously.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Another Thunderbird user here. I would say it's less robust than Outlook, but decent and very usable. I started using it for pretty much the same reasons as the OP and it's been several years now. I am on Win7 and find that it does need to be restarted every day or so.
    I'm using Windows 7 also and AOL for my mail and I don't have any issues with it.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    With myriad of email clients out there, I don't believe there's a single reason to stick with Microsoft's client, especially if they want to charge you ransom.
    Find a reputable client you like and use that.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've just had that MSN account for 30 years or something and there are a lot of things tied to it. It gets a LOT of junk mail because of all that, but I'd still like to hang on to it. I just don't want to pay Microsoft for using Outlook. They have a "Try Outlook" switch posted on Mail now, and if you flip it, it loads part of their Office 365 suite. Shortly thereafter you get notices about billing. I paid for a copy of Office 2019, but I have no intention to upgrading to a subscription version of their mediocre software.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I've just had that MSN account for 30 years or something and there are a lot of things tied to it. It gets a LOT of junk mail because of all that, but I'd still like to hang on to it. I just don't want to pay Microsoft for using Outlook. They have a "Try Outlook" switch posted on Mail now, and if you flip it, it loads part of their Office 365 suite. Shortly thereafter you get notices about billing. I paid for a copy of Office 2019, but I have no intention to upgrading to a subscription version of their mediocre software.
    Understood.
    Any good email client will be able to connect to your MSN inbox and work just like Outlook. It is a documented standard (POP, SMTP, IMAP, all those).

Top Bottom