• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outlaw482

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Laredo
    Just wondering if any of you have gotten snubbed at the VA for compensation. Ive tried over 3 times already and keep getting rejected.
    DK Firearms

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Get with your local American Legion or VFW, or you can get ahold of the Texas Veterans Commision and they can get your application pushed through with better results.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    no - i have a 40% disability rating

the DAV worked best for me when I was preparing an appeal on the original decision

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Just wondering if any of you have gotten snubbed at the VA for compensation. Ive tried over 3 times already and keep getting rejected.

Yes, I have been rejected and am now in the repeal stage. The reason for my rejection is that I have too much money. LOL......I am retired and live modestly on an AT&T pension. I served in the mid 1960's and my ears have been ringing since. Now the ringing is gettion louder. I was attempting to get qualified for hearing aids but was rejected because they say it was not service related....that's what I am appealing because it is definately service related. I am trying to get my medical records of my release physical because I was told that my hearing would probably become a problem. Long story but I'm told it may take a while because the VA wants to be able to provide benefits for all the soldiers that have and are returning from Iraq & Afganistan. I also want those returning soldiers to have benefits of course, but I want a little help too.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    good luck getting a dime out of the VA for hearing loss - they just dont do it - i was in an MOS designated as a "high noise exposure" MOS - my audiograms from when i enlisted to when i retired definitely show hearing loss

zilch, zip, nada, nuthin.....good luck to you though!

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    no - i have a 40% disability rating

the DAV worked best for me when I was preparing an appeal on the original decision

I'll second the DAV Advocates work. The guy that helped me knew the system which is very important, as I didn't and would have been rejected and moved along right away.

BTW, DAV is an outfit that's worth an occasional contribution, they really do good work.

Jeff B.

riata2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Pensacola
    Yup me I was in the USAF on the B-47 flight line and have some hearing loss but in my ute I didn't know to claim it at discharge in 1965. VA said "nope" good luck

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    I got denied on December 15th, but I have since contacted Rep4Vets to assist. From the "logic" that they used to to deny me I believe that someone without medical training makes the decisions, and I think that they are becoming a lot like getting disability from Social Security in that you have to sue them to get anything.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have 60% disability overall, 10% of which is for hearing loss. I was able to get it approved when I retired, so it isn't "impossible" to get the VA to recognize it.

I worked thorugh the VA office at Ft Sam Houston, they were very helpful in getting my claim processed. I think it is critical to get it done when you separate, trying to prove something years after you get out can be extremely difficult...

Good luck! M2

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    ...I think it is critical to get it done when you separate, trying to prove something years after you get out can be extremely difficult...

Good luck! M2
    Good advice. I'm going to claim every medical issue, from head to toe. Presently on active duty. Some time this year the Army will either medically seperate, or medically retire me d/t recurrent L RTC (shoulder) tear.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    I think it is critical to get it done when you separate, trying to prove something years after you get out can be extremely difficult...
    Yes, I would agree that it's critical to get it done then: however, as in my case in 1986 the Marine Corps told me that I wasn't eligible because my back injury wasn't combat-related. It wasn't until last year that I found out from a friend who works for the VA that I was lied to back then. One can't help being lied to, so I would say now to all to claim it whether they say you're eligible or not.

I also think that they do not conduct the same battery of tests for discharge that they do for enlistment so that they don't end up testifying against themselves. One would think that a hearing test for people in loud MOS' woould be mandatory...if they cared.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i had my physical done when i retired - or as i was retiring - the doctor was a contract doctor and barely spoke english....this was in san antonio

i'm not saying its impossible to get service connected disability for hearing loss - but everything i've heard (no pun intended) is that it's pretty rare

you're claiming injuries that you sustained prior to 1986? 15 years later? yeah i can imagine that would be really tough to prove - best of luck to you on that

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    i had my physical done when i retired - or as i was retiring - the doctor was a contract doctor and barely spoke english....this was in san antonio

That's interesting. My dad is 40% disabled and is in the process of re-filing his claim (as he was relatively uneducated the first go around). He spoke with a guy at the DAV who told him to "beware of VA doctors who speak broken english" because they were notoriously conservative in their findings. The DAV Rep said they all want green cards so bad that they are afraid to appear too friendly.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

you need to find a local rep, dav or vfw. they will get you situated and good to go. dont give up, a lot of people get denied the first few tries.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

i'm not saying its impossible to get service connected disability for hearing loss - but everything i've heard (no pun intended) is that it's pretty rare

you're claiming injuries that you sustained prior to 1986? 15 years later? yeah i can imagine that would be really tough to prove - best of luck to you on that

its not that tough to prove. they already know a majority of salty dogs wouldnt go to the docs and get things put on paper, too much old school mentality. what you need to do is get current documentation of your injuries and they will piece together the info. certain injuries have a commonality like jumpers knee.... and tinitus which pretty much goes back to military service.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    That's interesting. My dad is 40% disabled and is in the process of re-filing his claim (as he was relatively uneducated the first go around). He spoke with a guy at the DAV who told him to "beware of VA doctors who speak broken english" because they were notoriously conservative in their findings. The DAV Rep said they all want green cards so bad that they are afraid to appear too friendly.

this guy was asian - i had surgery on my right ankle while i was on active duty - so what does he do in the medical exam? he annotates that i have left ankle injuries....so when i file a claim for the right ankle, it got denied......which i appealed with the help of the DAV

i'd like to attribute it to a simple annotation error - however i'm not so sure!

Top Bottom