• Total voters

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I've got a fully-stocked bar. There's bottles of scotch and bourbon and gin that have been there for over twenty years. My wife will mix us each a gin & tonic for New Year's Eve usually, but other than that, the liquor never really gets touched. My wife will enjoy a glass of wine in the evening, and that's about it for her. I've got a small refrigerator that is dedicated to good craft beers. I probably drink no more than three or four beers per week.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Some teetotalers I've come across. My sister for one. Wonderful woman but she can't understand why I would "waste money" on expensive craft beers. And I guess if I'm explaining my position, it is a bit defensive. I'll leave it at that.

Since this thread is about fitness, I don't think anyone who abstains for fitness reasons would look down on you, especially if you are in good shape. One of the most fit guys I know is a doctor from Colorado in his 60s who can put guys half his age to shame, and he drinks probably half a bottle of wine a night or more.

The people who would look down on you are self-righteous religious folks, especially if you are open about being a Christian and also drink. Not saying every religious person is like this, most of the time it is in your mind, a self conscious thing.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I quit 25 years ago. I've been married for 24. We would drink about once a year and never around the kids. I haven't touched anything in several years. I just don't see a benefit.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I made pot roast yesterday... After searing the roast I deglazed the pot with a can of Modelos. Threw in red potatoes, baby carrots, brussels sprouts, onion, a couple serranos, and simmered it all in the beer for 4hrs.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On May 16, I made my 34th year of sobriety. In 34 years clean and sober, I never "slipped" or had any inclination to return to it.

As to fitness, I'm a pretty big guy and weigh much more than I should. The removal of alcohol had no influence on my weight. I got my Wolfgang Puck pressure oven on December 5, 2014 and weighed myself at that time. All meat that I eat comes from that Roaster Oven and I never eat in restaurants.

So far, I've lost 22 pounds!

Flash

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Never was much of a drinker. Did it as a teen at partys and stuff and always felt like shit afterwards, but once I joined the military I stopped and never picked it back up. Been at least 10 years. Now smoking I enjoyed, but I gave that up too.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Started drinking at about 14 y/o. went on through my 20s. Slowed down in my 30s and now in my 40s I drink socially. Maybe once every three months. No particular reason to slow down. Just didn't see a need to blow so much cash or risk losing my freedom. Most of my friends now are mellow drinkers so makes it easier to have a good time without the hootch.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Since this thread began I probably went a few months without a drink of alcohol.

I didn't like that much so I drink every once in a while.

I just find the same things in my diet over long periods of time boring. Drinking got old. Not drinking got old too.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This has become an epic thread and I stopped back in to see how it's going.

Abstinence from drinking is a one day at a time deal for me. At this time, I'm clean & sober 34 years, 7 months and some change. God willing, I'll never go back to any of it.

I might tender some advice. Halting the consumption of alcohol is just part of the story. You gotta change your life and behavior as well. There are no gin mills, dance halls, party people and if there's a party, I'll pop in, share a few laughs and head for the house. It's not that I'm afraid that I'll drink. I turned away from those life experiences and refuse to participate in them.

My next door neighbor was one of my favorite people anywhere. In the last 2 years, his drinking and crazy behavior have become totally out of control. He's sporting a new, huge belly and I recognize a liver that is being poisoned with alcohol. The guy guzzles booze and his behavior is becoming more outlandish. I'll be polite from now on, but I need to cut him loose.

I'm not that way any more.

Flash

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    How many of us abstain from alcohol completely?

I stopped drinking three years ago. I spent 6 days in the hospital with an attack of diverticulitis. There is some belief that alcohol can aggravate the condition. That is enough for me. In addition, I don't want the non-nutritive calories.

How about you?

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

That's all I need to know about beer and fitness.

Unfortunately you seem to be one of the very few people who have an actual health concern regarding alcohol. No wonder you're so mean all the time. :P

When I severely slowed down my drinking, I gained 50 lbs in a year and a half! And I'm only 5'6"! Looks like I have the opposite problem of most people: I wasn't drinking enough. Time to fix that RIGHT NOW.

Top Bottom