Hurley's Gold

And I had hoped the fudds had all been kicked out...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    I went to the gun show in Dripping Springs today and had a first for me. I've never had someone ask about the legality of my firearm before, much less attempt to seize it from me. After walking around the show for an hour an employee of Tejas Gun Shop asked about a Remington 700 Pistol build in a Pork Sword Chassis I had brought, and if I wanted to trade or sell it. I handed it to the employee, who handed it to the Owner (Butch Lyon per the Facebook page). The owner walked off with my gun, came back 5 minutes later, and told me he was not going to give me my lawfully owned pistol because of his insistence it was a felony. He (wrongly) stated there is no way a Remington 700 pistol can be legal, as Remington has only ever sold the 700 as a rifle. This was despite him selling (non Remington) braced pistols on his table today. He made baseless accusations that I was violating the law, threatened me with jail time, insulted me, and made unhinged comments about my parents not raising me correctly for being disrespectful to his self-appointed authority to seize my firearm.

I am 25 years old, and he made frequent reference to my age, which he stated meant I wasn't knowledgeable enough about the world to be demanding he return my gun to me. After 10 minutes of back and forth with Mr. Lyon wherein he maintained possession of my pistol, which he believed to be a felony to possess, I asked if he was trying to steal my pistol. I had insisted several times that he return my gun to me. He told me he had already called over two ATF agents who happened to be at the Gun Show. They had a table for public outreach, not far from the Tejas Gun Shop. The gun show management came by, and asked to hold the gun while the ATF verified it's legality. While not ideal IMO it was better than leaving the gun in Mr. Lyon's possession. I asked Mr. Lyon if he would be willing to apologize to me should it turn out my firearm was legal, and he told me I was a criminal who would get no apology from him. The management of the gun show were polite and professional, in a less than ideal situation. After this situation resolved they apologized to me for my interaction with this vendor. The ATF quickly verified the legality of my pistol, and were unsure of why Mr. Lyon would feel it was illegal in the first place. I left the gun show, pistol in hand shortly thereafter. Interestingly, this entire situation had nothing to do with the brace on my gun, nor current ATF views on braces. In fact, the only time anyone at Tejas Gun Shop was when I asked them if they wanted to swap me the Kel Tec RDB-S they had, plus $1000 cash my way, on my out the door after they had seen the ATF determine the gun to be legal. Mr Lyon doubled down, said he new my gun was illegal despite this determination, and that even if it wasn't in 118 days it will be.

I don't often go to gun shows, and this situation reminded me why. They are often filled with junior hall monitor types, willing to be confidently wrong, while threatening and harassing other members of the same hobby with legal force they have no authority to use. I have attended gun shows off and on for 15 years, I shoot regularly, and have bought a gun from most of the local gun stores. I hold a C&R FFL, a Texas License to Carry, and have several Tax Stamps(3 suppressors and a machine gun). Nothing special, but I am not unfamiliar with NFA law and generally have only positive things to say about local gun stores. To have my time wasted and attacks made on my character (crazier still, my parents who had not even attended the gun show were attacked) was out of the blue, and the behavior of a man who allowed his ego and desire for a power trip to get the best of him. As a customer I have no interest in doing business with such a person, and as a gun owner he reflects poorly on each of us. We can do better guys!
    Capitol Armory ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I think some table flipping was in order. Phuck him.

I would have said give me back my property or the atf boys will have to pull it out your ass to inspect it.

I think we all have a phone call to make tomorrow to Tejas gun shop and butch lyon.

Number below.

You could post on the tardbook page but its dead.
    Screenshot_20230115-235604_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Had that happened to me, just as described, I would have sought to have had him arrested. I also would be speaking to my lawyer ASAP about a possible tort claim to be compensated for his actions and apparent slander. In all my years, until today, I have never encountered nor heard of anyone being anywhere close to that ridiculous nor, in my opinion, that much of a self righteous criminal at a gun show. Not to at least try to have someone arrested, who did what he is alleged to have done, is less than desirable in my view.

AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    It’s a wonder this guy hasn’t had all his teeth knocked down his throat.

Google;
    View attachment 367823
    Funny you should mention that, when I used some profanity to emphasize my point that I wanted my gun back NOW he said the same thing about me almost word for word. My parents always taught me profanity should only be used in situations where I can justify the necessity of it, and if a disrespectful ATF quisling attempting to steal my gun IN plain view does not merit at f-bomb I'm not sure what does.

Heh. "Public Outreach".

OTOH, sounds like they helped out.
    This time.
    Yeah, I got to say I wasn't thrilled to see people inviting hound dogs to the fox show, generally the less I have to interact with the ATF and happier I am. Maybe gun shows were different back in the day, but I kind of wonder why I go to them when I'm paying for the privilege of interacting with what's often the dregs of gun culture and now the fine boys in blue as well.

AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    Hey now, sometimes at the gun shows you can get fascinating knowledge that isn't available anywhere else. For example the gentleman up in Bastrop the last time I was at a gun show maybe a year and a half ago who filled me in on the very rare Colt manufactured Lee Enfield rifles made in 1912 in Australia when Colt was helping set up the Lithgow factory. Fascinating piece of information which none of my books or other resources ever mentioned, so it must truly be an esoteric tidbit. I mean the other option would be people just making stuff up and I can't imagine anybody doing that...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Texas has very specific laws pertaining to use of force in regards to theft.

I am pretty sure I ( or my attorney )could articulate that someone who stole or was actively attempting to steal a firearm from my person is a deadly threat to me, and a room full of innocent third parties.

Top Bottom