• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I appreciate those who present their ID up front rather than me discovering it when I run their DL. Doesn't change my perception or decision on the stop, but shows an effort on their part. I've only had one occasion where they didn't show it, then snapped back when i even inquired if they were carrying. I don't pull firearms out, i don't see the need to expose a firearm be it by their hand or my during a stop unless some other cause.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I appreciate those who present their ID up front rather than me discovering it when I run their DL. Doesn't change my perception or decision on the stop, but shows an effort on their part. I've only had one occasion where they didn't show it, then snapped back when i even inquired if they were carrying. I don't pull firearms out, i don't see the need to expose a firearm be it by their hand or my during a stop unless some other cause.
    Don't you already know I'm a CHL holder when you run the tags before you step out of your unit?

So, even if I have NO firearms, handgun or longgun in the vehicle, you would prefer I show my CHL?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    License plate doesn't tell me that you're a CHL holder. I prefer it, yeah, that honesty up front gives some ease, to me at least. Doesnt mean I'll be up there shaking hands and being your best friend letting my guard down though. Like I said, I had a previous case where someone was carrying and didn't tell me until I inquired when the computer told me they were a holder. Some CHL holders think we're going to pull the firearms out, search, etc. I simply ask they keep their hands on the wheel for my comfort. For a very large part, I believe CHL holders are good citizens, but also had one with drugs and his firearm.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    been reading the thread w/interest, in part because it gives interesting insight.

No, i don't *need* to show my chl - especially when i ain't carrying....but why not? Wtf is so important to you to try to "hide" that you're a chl holder? It's gonna show as soon as they run you - and by not informing them, you're going to start a (very natural) wonder in the leo's mind as to why you wouldn't. Sure - go ahead and be a jerk to 'em, demand your "rights" - and if he decides to respond in kind, i can *guarantee* you that you'll leave that stop with some tickets. No one is "ticket proof" - if he wants to, he will find something to cite you for.....and why - because you wanted to show that you can be "right"?

A cop already has a hard enough job as it is - one where any stop could end up with him fighting for his life. So, imo, so of you need to come down off your high horses and develop a little civility and common courtesy. You wouldn't like folks doing it to you, so why in the sam hell would you do it to others????

Sorry, guys - i just don't get it. Save your "in you face" 'tude for the liberals and elected officials hell-bent on taking our rights away, but show some respect and consideration for those we entrust our society to.

Done with this soapbox....

amen!!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    As this thread has progressed, I think I'll move my CHL in front of my DL in the wallet.

I carry my DL and CHL in one of those little flip-out picture/ID holder things in my wallet. I can flip my DL out for regular stuff, and the CHL remains hidden in the wallet slot. When I get stopped, I just pull the whole deal out and hand it to the officer. Not necessarily applicable in your theortical crisis situation, but when I am knowingly pushing the speed limit, I put my wallet on the dashboard so I don't have to dig in my pocket for it when I get stopped (I'm anal about keeping my hands visible to the officer).

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I carry my DL and CHL in one of those little flip-out picture/ID holder things in my wallet. I can flip my DL out for regular stuff, and the CHL remains hidden in the wallet slot. When I get stopped, I just pull the whole deal out and hand it to the officer. Not necessarily applicable in your theortical crisis situation, but when I am knowingly pushing the speed limit, I put my wallet on the dashboard so I don't have to dig in my pocket for it when I get stopped (I'm anal about keeping my hands visible to the officer).

I may as well not have pockets, lol.......

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I prefer it, yeah, that honesty up front gives some ease, to me at least.
    Fair enough. IF I'm pulled over again, both ID's are coming out for the show, firearms or not.

Doesnt mean I'll be up there shaking hands and being your best friend letting my guard down though.
    So, it's not a get out a jail free ID card?

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    You wouldn't like folks doing it to you, so why in the Sam Hell would you do it to others????
    I don't expect anyone to tell me whether he is armed. It is false that I "wouldn't like folks doing it to you", in my case. I will inform because the Officer will find out I have a CHL and my courtesy might be reciprocated with a warning instead of a citation. If our CHL were not tied to DL there is no way in Hell I would inform.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I don't expect anyone to tell me whether he is armed. It is false that I "wouldn't like folks doing it to you", in my case. I will inform because the Officer will find out I have a CHL and my courtesy might be reciprocated with a warning instead of a citation. If our CHL were not tied to DL there is no way in Hell I would inform.

I'm referring to you wouldn't like it as an LEO if the guy played games like that. As to informing if not required, I dunno - a LOT would depend on whether I might expose the weapon during the course of a stop. But as we ARE required to inform, it's a moot question.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I'm referring to you wouldn't like it as an LEO if the guy played games like that.
    I don't see it as a game. Having a weapon in the vehicle is no different from having a pair of brown shoes, and I see no reason to inform the Officer that I have extra shoes. I agree with you that a weapon which could become exposed should be disclosed early, to prevent unpleasantness.

But as we ARE required to inform, it's a moot question.
    I disagree with this. But, for me, we are only required to do what we are forced to do or what is necessary to achieve some goal.

I think this issue comes down to your location. Here in Austin the cops don't care whether you have a CHL. I have informed in the past (when we had to and after) and every Officer gave it back immediately and either said nothing or said "I don't need this". Out in the country, where more cops are firearms enthusiasts, may be a different story.

Top Bottom