• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You're a CHL holder, ANY/ALL handgun(s) in the vehicle are locked inside a bolted or teathered down box in arms reach and your stopped by LE.
    Would the handgun(s) still be considered "on or about" your person?
    DK Firearms

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Does not matter. You can have a long gun in inside a vehicle any way you want. Pistols must be consealed.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't understand what you are asking? If you are stopped and asked for ID you give your CHL and DL. Then they ask if (or where) you have any firearms. I tell them where and what I have in the vehicle if I can reach them or not. I guess I am not following your question.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You're a CHL holder, ANY/ALL handgun(s) in the vehicle are locked inside a bolted or teathered down box in arms reach and your stopped by LE.
    Would the handgun(s) still be considered "on or about" your person?

Huh?

If you have a CHL (or even if you don't), what's it matter? As long as you are no ineligible to be carrying a handgun, you're good. It doesn't matter whether they are locked in a box or in your range bag, as long as they are concealed there is no issue whatsoever.

I don't get your question either. Are you asking what the legal difference between "on" and "about" your person?!?

Cheers! M2

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Humans are imperfect. It's easy to decide at the keyboard how everything should work out. In the OP question, I imagined racing to Houston because of an emergency with a family member, getting pulled over and forget there is a handgun locked away, hence the question. In that senario I can see where I would offer DL only.

Responses:
    post 2: I would never use a see through safe so the handgun would be concealed

post 4: as stated in OP, the safe is in arms reach concealing the handgun

post 6&8: answer I was hoping for

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You have to show you CHL when asked for ID/ DL by LEOs anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you are armed or not. Does that help?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think you are overthinking this. Don't "race" to Houston and don't sweat getting pulled over and forgetting something. I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I'm not trying to be difficult but as I said previously, it's easy to sit at the keyboard and quarterback. If I have a family emergency, I will 'push' traffic laws in response to the matter. I suspect many others here have and would do the same.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Glockster, I thought that this was quite a reasonable question. If I have a "gun safe" in my car and the gun is locked in said safe, is the gun still considered on or about my person? According to the law, as I understand it, I must present both a state issued identification and CHL if the gun is on about my person. The glove box of the car and center console are still considered on or about my person.

If I remember that the weapon is there, then I will show my CHL anyway, regardless. Since the penalty for not providing my CHL was removed, I am not going to sweat the memory lapse.

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm not trying to be difficult but as I said previously, it's easy to sit at the keyboard and quaterback. If I have a family emergency, I will 'push' traffic laws in response to the matter. I suspect many others here have and would do the same.

Yup, flew right past a waco cop doin about 20 over the limit. I could see not wanting to hassle with the firearms related stuff if I were in a hurry and the gun were in a locked box.

Top Bottom