• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Love the answers guys! Keep it coming. I'm rather amazed by that 20k a month. How much of that was on your dime versus someone else's? My peak in my high school JROTC program was probably 6,000 a month, mostly smallbore.

Look at his screen name. Just a guess though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    eek.png
    Why the surprise?

Plenty of goals require high round counts. I've personally never exceeded 1K/week with any regularity but it wasn't all that long ago that serious ISSF Rapid Fire pistol shooters would burn 200k/year, minimum. Some would use 400K.

Since electronic triggers have taken over in that game, ammo needs have dropped but there are still sports that absolutely require high round counts for training.

Jerry Miculek is on record as using 40K/year of his own reloads plus whatever ammo people give him (which I'd bet isn't a small number).

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Love the answers guys! Keep it coming. I'm rather amazed by that 20k a month. How much of that was on your dime versus someone else's? My peak in my high school JROTC program was probably 6,000 a month, mostly smallbore.

Ammo was a lot cheaper and so were components It was right after my brain surgery, with the stress and depression plus the hormone replacement drugs i had to do something. The only real relief I got was at the range. So at least 3 or 4 days a week i was at the range from sun up to sun down just shooting and clearing my mind. I would love to still be able to do that but with my low income and high debt (still trying to get out from under the debt i got in from 8 months with no income) and the current prices i dont shoot much at all anymore.

rio grande

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    ........... Freedom Munitions brought a million rounds of 9mm to there Houston store on Thursday. It was all gone by yesterday and all of the buyers were local shooters. If the government was involved in taking all that ammo, they are stealing it from those guys' garages, closets, and storage units.

That would be 3,333 50 rd. boxes of 50 rds. each day over a 6 day period.
    That seems unlikely.
    And what about Homeland Security's massive ammo purchases?
    Here is a U.S. Senator who doesn't agree with you.
    Inhofe: DHS ammo grab to ‘dry up’ supply

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Ammo and freshwater fishing lures are some of the most stolen items from our store... Didn't take shooters and fishers to be crooks but there are bad apples in every hobby

I believe the fishing lures end up on Ebay. Some of them don't even bother to take the store price tag off.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    That seems unlikely.

I can believe that much ammo was bought in that amount of time. Its only 1000 cases and i dont think they had a one box limit at the time, I have seen more sold in less than a week
    And on the whole the government is buying up all the ammo thing. 1) The United States government gets most of it ammo from its own ammo manufacturing location and 2) the ammo that the US government does buy from the market is less than 5% of what is produced and sold to the general consumer.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High volume shooter, 5000+ rounds annually? Call me a medium volume shooter

Hoarder, buying all you can while you can? I don't like being gouged so I haven't bought much lately.

New shooter, just need some ammo? I'm in my 50th year of enjoying shooting sports so definitely not a "new" shooter.

Wise guy, saw this shortage coming years ago? Yup!

bjfowle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Arlington
    Well I don't really fit in any of those categories. No more than I get to shoot I've got enough to last me a while. So I don't really need any more right now but will buy a box or two if I run across it at a decent price.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Unfortunately times like now hasn't crippled buyers like me just slowed me down.. I have been buying in bulk for several years now, I only think in case lot multiples. I have quite a bit of ammo in most all calibers. I recently last year also started reloading albeit that part is just getting started. I was able to stock well on reloading components for 308 and somewhat on 6.8spc but caught short on 223 when the SHTF. Powders and primers are especially hard to get and I won't buy unless I can get some quantity to offset the HAZMAT charges. On the firearm front buying parts to build AR's has slowed down especially if you build higher quality guns like I do. Those components like BCG's, lowers, uppers from guys like Mega, Seekins, JP, etc are slow coming. All as the OP said the overall demand from new shooters is overwhelming. Luckily I have enough to keep me busy until everything stabilizes.

gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    That seems unlikely.

No disrespect to the senator but, none of them got involved until it became a political talking point so I question his sincerity on this issue. I really don't care if he agrees with me or not as I'm not stating an opinion. I'm simply stating the facts I've gathered so far. Furthermore, for all the senator's claims, at the end of the day, he and his fellow senators as well as the House of Representatives, have the ultimate authority to authorize every penny the government spends. In short, they tell the President what he and his minions get to spend. Unless the senator can say he has never voted to spend a dime, he has only himself to blame.

The DHS issue has been rehashed several times. I'm not going to re-write all of that all over again. The bottom line is there's a HUGE difference between a request for bids with the OPTION to purchase any given number of units of something versus what is actually purchased. For example, the US Air Force once requested a bid to buy as many as 650 units of what eventually became the F-22. Only 195 aircraft were ever actually built. DHS requested a bid for ammo to be purchased over the course of five years with an OPTION to buy as much as 1.6 billion. No one has been able to produce a document showing that DHS has or will receive anywhere near that amount and it is hard to believe they are stocking up on ammo when the agency can't afford to replace the cars their agents damage in the normal execution of their duties.

As for Freedom Munitions and the amount of ammo they move, I haven't any reason not to believe them when I've been there myself and watched over 50,000 rounds of ammo walk out the door to private buyers in the course of only two hours (3,000 of that came with me to supply my students) and 10,000 had gone out to Shiloh Indoor Gun range the same day. Freedom Munitions generally sells ammo by the case (500-1000 rounds). 3,333 boxes of 50 is only 166,650 rounds. When the ammo is going out by the case, that's only 166 cases of 1000 rounds of ammo with 650 rounds to spare. You mean to tell me that you don't think a retail store front in a city of 4 million people, couldn't reasonably expect 166 people to walk through their doors with $300-$400 each in their hand?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Freedom Munitions, has had more available than just about anyone......they have .40 and .45 acp right now...

Unfortunately, the 2-3 day shipping we've been used to from them, is now 5-10 business days.......

Top Bottom