• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    Gary when do you see the rush slowing down?
    To be honest, I really don't know. I see things potentially going on as we have seen through the 2014 election cycle. Will that happen? That really depends on a lot of factors. As long as the demand keeps up at the current rate, there will be a shortage. You have people who historically never shot more than 1,000 rounds a year who are suddenly buying 20,000 rounds at a time. A health amount of ammunition is disappearing at the loading docks of major retailers and never making it to the shelves but, showing up at online auction sites days later. Historically, people would run out of disposable income/room to store all this crap and the demand would subside. This run on ammo and guns however, has run on much longer than history suggests it should but, I don't know that we've ever had a political environment that was as hostile toward our community as we do right now between the media and politicians thinking they have a mandate to do as they please.

inceptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Denton County, Republic of Texas

High volume shooter, 5000+ rounds annually?

Hoarder, buying all you can while you can?

New shooter, just need some ammo?

Wise guy, saw this shortage coming years ago?

1. Depends on the year and variables.

2. Hoarder? No but I have almost always bought by the case. It' cheaper that way. My problem this time around was I bought my 1st AR and 1st 9mm just before things got ugly and had no time to stock up. I am nearly at the point I want/need to be for these.

3. Not a new shooter, see #2

4. I have always bought by the case and like having enough ammo to do whatever I like do. That could be just plinking or shooting competition. Unfortunately (except for an exception recently) I have not done the competition thing for a long time. The recent thing was a benefit for Chris Kyle's family and boy did I suck. It was for a good cause though.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'm a prepper. Not a hoarder

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Govt says your a terrorist then. I am going with hoarder where they will help assist in moving my stuff and give me other free crap.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    all of the above.

i keep certain "levels" for each caliber that i do not go below. everything above those levels is what i play with. I am a high volume shooter, too. Last course i took, i shot about 1300 rounds of 9mm.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm also a 1&4 type. I have been actively hunting and shooting for over 20 years now, so when I see a good price on ammo, I buy in bulk. My last few bulk purchases were for 7.62x39 ammo at about 22 cents a round. At that rate, it's cheaper than I can reload it for. I have done the same thing here and there over the years for several calibers. Bought 1k rounds of Gold Dot hollow points years ago(NY police surplus 9mm +P) for about 24 cents a round. More recently, golden bullet 525rd packs at $20(no I'm not selling) and some mixed brass cased 9mm ammo(several boxes) at $10/50 from a friend who was getting out of that caliber. I try not to buy what I don't actively shoot but every once and a while I find a deal I can't pass up. Overall though, I shoot probably 5 times a month, several hundred rounds per range visit.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    1 and 4.

At my peak I used to shoot more than 20k a month.

eek.png

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston

High volume shooter, 5000+ rounds annually?

If it was available and I could afford it.

Hoarder, buying all you can while you can?
    If I could find it and afford it.

New shooter, just need some ammo?

Yup, and can't find much.

Wise guy, saw this shortage coming years ago?
    Nope, I had my eyes closed. Opened them way too late.

BTW, TX69, I need you to PM me your address and vacation schedule. :p ;)

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I'm somewhat of a prepper. Im not a high volume shooter(although I would like to be). Due to my financial situation as a student, I was not able to stock up as much as I would have liked to.

New shooter? Only to 9mm. I just bought my Glock 19 last fall, so I don't have near enough as I need. I like to shoot an IDPA match once a month. I like to get in a practice or two before a match, and sometimes I get the urge to burn a mag or two in an attempt to waste some jackrabbits at my friends' ranches.

Also, I just bought my .30-06 last November, so I don't have as much as I would like, but I'm doing ok.

I'm fairly short on .357mag, so I just don't shoot it as often as I did before Sandy Hook.

I'm doing okay on 5.56, .22lr, 12ga, and 20ga.

Sent from the mind of a genius. Forrealz.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    To say that I saw this coming years ago would be a lie. I have, however, been hoarding ammo since I was seven. I actually have ammunition that I owned when I was seven years old. Generally it's FIFO with me though.

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I saw this coming a long time ago, but since I wasn't of age at the time. I couldn't stock up and my mum and dad were all "There'll be a shortage, you're worrying about nothing.".

Now, I'm 18 with ammo I don't have guns for (parents selling them off, so now I got useless 30-30 and 9mm hanging around) or guns with no defensive ammo (.32 S&W and 20 Gauge birdshot. No one has 20 gauge buck or slugs in stock.)

Top Bottom