• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    So couple of years ago I gifted a shotgun to my brother. He then later on moved to seattle and recently after couple of years moved back to texas.
    While moving back he didn't bring back the shotgun and I assume he gifted it to someone else. First and foremost would that be even legal ? secondly I never get anything from him not that I expect anything but occasionally (every other month) blowing $8-10K on charity and constantly whining about money to me gets irritating. :boom:
    DK Firearms

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    While moving back he didn't bring back the shotgun and I assume he gifted it to someone else. First and foremost would that be even legal ?

As long as the person he gifted it to could legally own a firearm, why would it be illegal?

And what makes you think he gifted it, and didn't sell it?

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    IMO, if you gave it to him, it's his to do with as he pleases, unless you had some agreement to the contrary ahead of time.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    IMO, if you gave it to him, it's his to do with as he pleases, unless you had some agreement to the contrary ahead of time.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

I replied along these lines initially, then re-read his post, & changed my reply.

He doesn't state he expected it back.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    As long as the person he gifted it to could legally own a firearm, why would it be illegal?

And what makes you think he gifted it, and didn't sell it?

Even out of state ? doesn't it needs to be transferred via FFL ? Cause he doesn't used the gun much and as I know him it must have started rusting, which made me ask him if he cleaned it or not and he started evading all questions.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Blows money on charity? 8 grand?

What charity is getting $8k every two months?

Is 'charity' code for a girlfriend(s)???

Trust me I really know hundreds of people who blow out close to million every year in charity at community center or handing it out to priest. But are too broke to help a man in need even a few hundred bucks.

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    Even out of state ? doesn't it needs to be transferred via FFL ? Cause he doesn't used the gun much and as I know him it must have started rusting, which made me ask him if he cleaned it or not and he started evading all questions.

in washington state after 2014 yes, it has to go thru an FFL for private sales.
    http://smartgunlaws.org/private-sales-in-washington/

personally I wouldnt rattle his chain about the issue.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friend Bonnie and I were discussing a related matter recently. I told Bonnie about an article that I read about habits of successful and wealthy people.

The article stated that successful people hang around with positive, productive and similarly successful people. Further, they refuse to hang around, negative, whiny, self destructive people. That kind of person is like an anchor chain for a happy life! It's OK to avoid negative people. It's OK to keep negative relatives at a distance to preserve your happiness and success!

My advice? Love him because he's family and blood but minimize his influence on you. Distance is the best security. What he did with that generous gift was probably legal, but it wasn't right. Once given, it was his to do with it as he wanted.

You know now, how he is and he can only provide more of the same. The firearm gift was a good learning tool. Stay away from him!

Flash

Last edited:

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    Trust me I really know hundreds of people who blow out close to million every year in charity at community center or handing it out to priest. But are too broke to help a man in need even a few hundred bucks.

OK i'm nosy,,,,,, just how many "hundreds of people" do you know that "blow out close to a million every year in charity"

Got me wondering as I doubt I have every know anyone , much less hundreds that had that kind of money to give away every year. Guess I am missing the lifestyles of those that live 5 track yards over much less the other side of the track.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    You gifted it to him. After that it is his to do with as he pleases.
    I can understand but you have no right to it.
    no idea if that was legal in Washington state.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    1. What he did with that generous gift was probably legal, but it wasn't right.

2. Once given, it was his to do with it as he wanted...

Huh?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Which is more important - your brother or the shotgun?

If you want to alter your gift giving in the future, fine. But let this go.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Even out of state ? doesn't it needs to be transferred via FFL ?

If he lived in Washington and gave/sold/traded it to someone in Washington it was legal. Pre-2014-laws, no FFL needed (just like Texas). It was his property and he was a resident.

In any case it's not YOUR property so it's not YOUR problem (the transfer mechanics).

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Yes you are out of line. When you gift something it's gone and that's it. What he did with it or if it was legal is really none of your business. Now maybe this guy just gets to you but otherwise I would be thinking your some kind of controlling unpleasant person if I heard this. Just don't gift him another gun.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Meh, I can top that.

I have a few cars since I keep them instead of trade them in. So niece comes to visit, and one thing leads to another, asks for our Tahoe (99 mint) as they have baby and 1 car and husband works. So she has to drive him to work and pick him up, etc. I get it, that sucks. So we give them car. 2 weeks later we find out husband just got a company car. So now they have three cars, one being the one we gave them. Ask if we need it back or would like to have it? Of course not. They sell it for cash and keep the money. In fact to this day they have not told us of this. We found out from other family member. On top of that, other than verbal thank-you when niece picked it up, have heard nothing, not even a thank you from husband.

Bernie supporters of course, everything should be free. From us that can afford to them that cannot.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Meh, I can top that.

I have a few cars since I keep them instead of trade them in. So niece comes to visit, and one thing leads to another, asks for our Tahoe (99 mint) as they have baby and 1 car and husband works. So she has to drive him to work and pick him up, etc. I get it, that sucks. So we give them car. 2 weeks later we find out husband just got a company car. So now they have three cars, one being the one we gave them. Ask if we need it back or would like to have it? Of course not. They sell it for cash and keep the money. In fact to this day they have not told us of this. We found out from other family member. On top of that, other than verbal thank-you when niece picked it up, have heard nothing, not even a thank you from husband.

Bernie supporters of course, everything should be free. From us that can afford to them that cannot.

That is a little different. They asked for help then used took advantage and showed a lack of gratitude by not at least checking in with you about the situation.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    If he lived in Washington and gave/sold/traded it to someone in Washington it was legal. Pre-2014-laws, no FFL needed (just like Texas). It was his property and he was a resident.

In any case it's not YOUR property so it's not YOUR problem (the transfer mechanics).

No he was and is a texas resident. which is why i questioned.

Top Bottom