• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Seams that AK's run better than the AR versions because of mags? Seems like more the curve of the mag enhances the feeding on AK's even though the grendel is closer on design?
    the curvature of the AK magazine is due to the taper of 7.62x39
    Is it a Romanian vs Russian vs Chek vs Chinese and so on or v2 compatibility?
    also the czechoslovak VZ58 is NOT an AK

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Stamped receivers are cheaper, more common and a little lighter. But a cheap (poor quality) stamped receiver (yes, some are done properly) is more prone to failure.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    7.62x39 has been in metric (.311/.312) and imperial (.308), but has been dependent on which platform (AR vs AK). At 1 time I've seen the 7.62x39 in .308 with matching brass. Does all AK mag work with all AK's regardless of country of origin?
    Try not to dive into the whiskey when you ask questions.

To your first: factory 7.62x39 rifles at some point in us manufacturing did have 30 cal barrels. And before you ask: 30 cal is .308

I’m not aware of any mass produced ammo that used 30 cal bullets. If it happened I didn’t know. Maybe a run of it with 70’s or 80’s ammo? Early 90’s maybe…I’m not a big ammo historian. Plenty of other members could answer that. But for the guns themselves the .308 vs ak diam was a definite too much whiskey moment for American gun manufacturers.

As for do all mags fit all akm types? More times than not. However the problem isn’t the mag it’s the magwell and sometimes the catch. If you compare a wasr, circle 10, and a west German, you will find the mag wells don’t feel the same. I’m arbitrarily using these examples.

Once in a blue moon you will get a tight magwell and catch. My circle 10 is such a gun. Zero slopp.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    .303 brit bullets are .311 and will work fine for AKs.
    But WHY reload this caliber, the AK is a nine pound hammer. it is NOT MOA accurate and cheap steel cased ammo is what it likes best. Get one, use and abuse it and then pass it down to your grandkids.
    A 7.62x39 can be a good shooter but in my cases it has appeared to be luck.

Like with an ar barrel. Some shoot good warm others open up. Most have been cold shooters. Same with an sks. I have had some that seem very accurate while others are minute of door; maybe.

It’s funny that In a few guns, even cheap bolt actions, I have gotten tighter groups with steel case but the bolt gun I’m referring to is a cva in 308 with a slow twist. I think it’s 1:12. It’s unusual but loves steel cases 150 grainers and maybe it likes the slower burn too. Steel cased ammo is a tad underpowered.

Rambling now…

jekbrown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If we ignore the guns with single stack mag wells, and we should, then in the vast majority of cases there is cross compatibility in 762 AK mags. Some may require minor fitment. Bosnian steel mags have had issues with certain AKs. Sometimes you'll run across a magwell cut in the US that is sloppy loose, or overly snug (especially with plastic mags).

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Soviet AKs were originally made with milled receivers, which cracked after extensive firing. They switched to stamped, and that problem disappeared. On commercial, semi-only AKs, some prefer the milled receivers because they think that they're more durable than stamped. Okay, whatever. I saw a thread once where a guy made an AK receiver out of a Chinese D-handle shovel, for crying out loud! He left the D-handle on it to serve as the buttstock. Seemingly all foreign 7.62mm cartridges use bullets larger than .308"; some .310", some .311", and some .312" groove diameter. Wartime tolerances have given us barrels up to .316" groove diameter! Using bullets smaller than groove diameter leads to poor accuracy. Bullets larger than groove diameter leads to high pressure. I prefer to use the correct diameter, if available.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Soviet AKs were originally made with milled receivers, which cracked after extensive firing. They switched to stamped, and that problem disappeared. On commercial, semi-only AKs, some prefer the milled receivers because they think that they're more durable than stamped. Okay, whatever. I saw a thread once where a guy made an AK receiver out of a Chinese D-handle shovel, for crying out loud! He left the D-handle on it to serve as the buttstock. Seemingly all foreign 7.62mm cartridges use bullets larger than .308"; some .310", some .311", and some .312" groove diameter. Wartime tolerances have given us barrels up to .316" groove diameter! Using bullets smaller than groove diameter leads to poor accuracy. Bullets larger than groove diameter leads to high pressure. I prefer to use the correct diameter, if available.
    you do realize early AKs were milled because they tried to do stampings first but they didn't have all the tech there to make the early stampings durable until the AKM came about, right?

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    ...but some countries have issues with keeping standards.
    LoL, like the USA AR15 Modular lie...
    Holy Fruck, the fitment issues I've had to deal with since getting into building ARs!
    Like a High Buck V-Seven buffer tube, that the buffer stock halfway down the first time I dropped it in.

On the bullet size, if anyone has a .30 cal barrel, I believe Igman is using .308 projectiles, and are a little loose in the bore.
    Not good for a true 7.62x39 barrel, but if the Mini-30 did have a .308 ore, the stuff would work better.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    One other thing to be aware of regarding AK-74s; the groove diameter of Russian AK-74 barrels is .221". US barrel makers didn't want to spend the money to set up for a completely new size (actually, that's .22 LR groove diameter), so they simply used .224" barrels. That's why a lot of US-made AK-74s have marginal accuracy - the bore is larger than the bullets by .003".

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Actually, the first production models had stamped sheet metal receivers with a milled trunnion and butt stock insert and a stamped body. Difficulties were encountered in welding the guide and ejector rails, causing high rejection rates. Instead of halting production, a heavy machined receiver was substituted for the sheet metal receiver.

Once the manufacturing difficulties of non-milled receivers had been overcome, a redesigned version designated the AKM (M for "modernized" or "upgraded"; in Russian: Автомат Калашникова Модернизированный [Avtomat Kalashnikova Modernizirovanniy]) was introduced in 1959. This model used a stamped sheet metal receiver and featured a slanted muzzle brake on the end of the barrel to compensate for muzzle rise under recoil.

And here is the story of the AK receiver made out of a Chinese D-handle shovel...

1700250836201.png

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom