• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    With my new job also comes the burden of flying which I have managed to avoid for years after 9/11 and I could not board with at least a knife. So now I am considering a tacticool pen for everyday use as a writing instrument and a better weapon than a sharpie in an airport or on a plane. Anybody carrying one?

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    You need a Glock. They are plastic and sneak through the metal detectors. Thats what I was told back in the 90's. A sharp #2 pencil can be one heck of a weapon.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The Sharkie by Cold Steel is cool and cheap. Definately a lst ditch weapon. Their City Stick can be legally carried anywhere and makes a deadly, though imbalanced weapon. You could use a master lock to secure your luggage which conveniently has a bandana inside. Put the two together once on the plane. There are still a few options for airplane weapons, just get creative.

This is why I avoid flying.

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    I'd looked at the Sharkie, looks like a good extra to carry, the city stick is a little too conspicuous for my age group. Guess a Sharkie and a tactical pen are in my future. I try to avoid flying if at all possible but I will have a few instances during the year where it will be more efficient and/or required. All I can do is try to be armed as much as the TSA will allow or ignore. I do like the lock and bandana trick. I'm thinking a heavy duty drafting pencil might do the trick too, very sharp steel point, sharper than a tactical pen, and nobody would think twice.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Why do you feel the need to be armed on a plane? I've travel extensively since 9/11 (to include shortly after) and there's never been a reason to be armed. If you are going somewhere where you can legally carry a gun, you can check it with your luggage; but on the flight itself there is no reason to fear...

And if you're really smart you know that there are several items already about an airplane that can be used as weapons if the need arises, but the chances of that are so remote that it doesn't require being armed. The most dangerous part of airplane travel is the drive to and from the airport!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    With my new job also comes the burden of flying which I have managed to avoid for years after 9/11 and I could not board with at least a knife. So now I am considering a tacticool pen for everyday use as a writing instrument and a better weapon than a sharpie in an airport or on a plane. Anybody carrying one?

The last time I flew anywhere, I thought it sucked all the way from Texas to New York! That was over a year ago too.. It's worse now.
    The issue im most concerned with isnt the flight, its what happens after the flight. When you get where your going, you still dont have anything to defend yourself with!

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    I feel the need to be armed on a plane, in my car, on a bus, and in my house, no matter what the circumstances I will do not want to rely on others for my protection or self defense. Not to question your safety procedures but if the US marshalls feel the need to put people on planes with guns, well I feel better having something in my pocket too, and I NEVER check luggage, I have had it lost before and will not have my handgun in the hands of a minumum wage worker.

I carry a weapon or mulitples of some sort every day and after crossing security into the terminal I feel naked and almost defenseless. Just my .02

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The last time I flew anywhere, I thought it sucked all the way from Texas to New York! That was over a year ago too.. It's worse now.
    The issue im most concerned with isnt the flight, its what happens after the flight. When you get where your going, you still dont have anything to defend yourself with!

Due to many of the locations I travel to, I am not allowed to check a weapon in my luggage so I have nothing to carry once I get to my destination. Would I prefer to be armed? Sure, but the law doesn't allow it. I honestly plan my activities differently due to that. On a recent trip to Norfolk I was walking around near my hotel, I saw a situation that I wasn't comfortable with so I redirected my travels to avoid it. Same thing happened in Atlanta, I ended up walking to a restaurant through what could be described as "Crack Central" during the evening hours and I believe the only reason I survived that adventure was due to the obviously way I stood out!

I feel the need to be armed on a plane, in my car, on a bus, and in my house, no matter what the circumstances I will do not want to rely on others for my protection or self defense. Not to question your safety procedures but if the US marshalls feel the need to put people on planes with guns, well I feel better having something in my pocket too, and I NEVER check luggage, I have had it lost before and will not have my handgun in the hands of a minumum wage worker.

I carry a weapon or multiples of some sort every day and after crossing security into the terminal I feel naked and almost defenseless. Just my .02

I completely understand, but sometimes the choice isn't available. Hell, on some of my travels in Kabul, I was not only unarmed but was without any sort of body armor as well. These are restrictions I have to deal with all the time; heck I work in a not-so-good part of town on a military base that doesn't allow personal weapons to be carried brought on it. I would prefer otherwise, but it's just not the case right now.

Cheers! M2

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If you are an American and fly often, you should just change your name to victim!
    Not unlike a College campus. Just being there is like painting a target on your back.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Due to many of the locations I travel to, I am not allowed to check a weapon in my luggage so I have nothing to carry once I get to my destination. Would I prefer to be armed? Sure, but the law doesn't allow it. I honestly plan my activities differently due to that. On a recent trip to Norfolk I was walking around near my hotel, I saw a situation that I wasn't comfortable with so I redirected my travels to avoid it. Same thing happened in Atlanta, I ended up walking to a restaurant through what could be described as "Crack Central" during the evening hours and I believe the only reason I survived that adventure was due to the obviously way I stood out!

I completely understand, but sometimes the choice isn't available. Hell, on some of my travels in Kabul, I was not only unarmed but was without any sort of body armor as well. These are restrictions I have to deal with all the time; heck I work in a not-so-good part of town on a military base that doesn't allow personal weapons to be carried brought on it. I would prefer otherwise, but it's just not the case right now.

Cheers! M2
    I know some people who ship their firearms ahead of them delivered to the hotel for pickup. Others who check their guns every time and find there are many advantages. As for weapons, a sock and a soda can.

Great lecture although informal and a bit of language Jump 3 min in or so to skip some boring: http://www.vimeo.com/3923535

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I checked out the REAL frequent flyer... I've got a ceramic that is nearly identical in style and size. I used to carry it anywhere I went with metal detectors, then I succumbed to becoming more afraid of laws then bad guys...I'm doomed, I know.

Wraith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    DFW
    Mad Dog Frequent Flyer. Good luck finding one though. I have one and will never sell it ever. ;)
    I don't think that would go over well in those towns with a body scanner like San Antonio, if they can see my weiner they will see a knife outline. I hate the fact that I am now relegated to defending myself with a sharp stick.

WavesOfFury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    League City
    I don't think that would go over well in those towns with a body scanner like San Antonio, if they can see my weiner they will see a knife outline. I hate the fact that I am now relegated to defending myself with a sharp stick.

Yeah, if it were just a matter of getting past metal detectors, Cold Steel has a line of non-metalic blades (FGX I believe?), but yeah, with body scanners and x-rays looking over your carry-on, I don't know how you could get any of them through... :/

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I got stopped and my bag searched because I had a brass key used to wind an old clock in my carryon. I hate traveling "naked" myself, but these days the DHS has control of the airports and it's best to just go along with Janet Napolitano's Brownshirts.

In case Janet is monitoring this, there's no need to check, I'm sure I'm already on your list somewhere.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    A Kubaton is illegal on a plane but not a Surefire flashlight.
    Carry a backpack with a book or laptop. Makes a great shield.
    Belt with a good buckle makes a great Flail. (we are in Texas after all)

You are only unarmed if you think you are.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom