• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I need MREs to hold me over until I steal all the raw corn and wheat from a prepper.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    Guns International

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Why would he throw them out?

I wouldn't throw out a T bone because I can buy a sirloin cheaper.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Because they are so old they are almost certainly devoid of nearly all nutrition. I bet youd toss that t bone if it was 10 years old.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Because they are so old they are almost certainly devoid of nearly all nutrition. I bet youd toss that t bone if it was 10 years old.

Bullshit. As long as the individual MRE components aren’t damaged, punctured, or swelling; they should still be edible and will still retain all the nutritional value.

I've eaten MREs that were over a decade old, no problem whatsoever.

If you're hungry enough (which should be the only time you eat a MRE), and use a little common sense, there's nothing wrong with eating old MREs!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    An I the only one who actually likes some of them?

Especially compared to the crap the field cooks might make.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It's been a while since I've had any MREs, but I liked most of them. Not the corned beef tho. Yeah, the C-rations were better in my opinion.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Lol. If you guys think edibility is equivalent to nutritional value then knock yourself out with 10 year old MREs. I'm certainly no one to argue with the experts. :p

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You mean like this link that was already posted?

http://www.mreinfo.com/mres/mre-shelf-life/

Are you referring to this quote from the link?

Practically, the darn things last a long, long, time. As long as the individual MRE components aren’t damaged, punctured, (or swelling!), they should still be edible. Some people (on usenet) say that an MRE may lose its flavor or turn an unappetizing color but will still retain all the nutritional value. But other people will say the nutritional value decays over time. Take your pick of opinions.

Not really what I'd call "evidence".

Sent from my HAL 9000

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    So, no real firsthand experience; just shit you find on the web?!?

Maybe you shouldn't argue with the experts, as you are clearly outgunned once again and don't have a fucking clue as to what you are talking about.

Must be all that corn meal you've been consuming!

More of your typical constructive brilliance. Yeah, I was in the military for four years, studied survivalism for the last ten, and have no real world experience with MREs.

Your behavior is frankly embarrassing for you as usual. I've rarely seen anyone lash out so energetically when challenged on minutia. You must have been a joy to work under in the USAF. I'm not one of your Junior Airmen to boss around; and at this point it's obvious you either have no clue how or simply don't care to properly socialize, so welcome to my own private ignore list, not that you give a damn. People like you are always in the right.

Thank GOD I didn't at least ask a question about something that has been asked before and get another one of your condescending search feature lectures. And I'll take a chart on the internet over your completely unscientific, anecdotal evidence any day.

And BTW- I've eaten MREs expired by only three years that had some stuff that was edible (though of questionable nutrition) and other stuff that stank to high Hell. Oh, wait, no I didn't because you said old MREs are great and you're the expert! Must have dreamed it all!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Already posted in the thread, but probably the best example of aged MRE testing.

I have a few problems with that video:

1.) The sample range is statistically insignificant.

2.) "Results showed that these old MREs retained their nutrients and were free of bacteria and other harmful substances." Okay. What level of nutrients were retained? Do you know how incredibly fragile vitamin C alone is? Sounds like intentional vaguery.

3.) The video is produced and funded by a survival company. They have an agenda to push. When we visit their website (http://beprepared.com), smack dab in the top center is a link to buy... MREs! The conflict of interest here is glaring.

You guys can put whatever you want in your bodies. I truly do not care one way or the other. Op asked for thoughts on his old MREs, I gave mine, and unintentionally started the world's most retarded shit storm. IMO there are much better options than MREs for storage. I have no agenda to push.

The biggest problem I personally have with MREs is they are just a stop-gap. Unless you know how to produce your own food in a truly TEOTWAWKI situation you are just buying time until starvation gets you. If you have some saved in anticipation of a temporary emergency situation, hey, they're not my thing but go for it. They'll do well for that. I would not rely on ten year old ones unless they were stored at near freezing the entire time (good luck with that).

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Are you referring to this quote from the link?

Practically, the darn things last a long, long, time. As long as the individual MRE components aren’t damaged, punctured, (or swelling!), they should still be edible. Some people (on usenet) say that an MRE may lose its flavor or turn an unappetizing color but will still retain all the nutritional value. But other people will say the nutritional value decays over time. Take your pick of opinions.

Sent from my HAL 9000

You must have missed the chart.

Not really what I'd call "evidence".

That could be taken two ways. If the quotation you provided is being used as an example of a lack of evidence in itself, then yes I'd agree. If you are saying that quote negated the info on the chart, then I disagree. For the last time: EDIBILITY IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO NUTRITIONAL VALUE. You could eat a Happy Meal or a stack of cardboard for that matter. Neither is very nutritious.

Now have fun arguing amongst yourselves. I'm Audi 5000, homies.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Internet_argument.jpg

Top Bottom