• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    I'm laughing, remembering the C-rations we got in 'Nam left over from Korea and earlier. Tasted the same. God Bless Tabasco.

I had to laugh also. We had C rats when I was in VietNam that were dated from the mid to late 40's to early 50's and they were pretty good. We were eating them in 71. All canned stuff.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    MREs will make a turd. That's about as much good as I can say about them.

MREs are intended for individuals in high-activity situations (like combat) where they typically burn about 4,200 calories/day. If you're a POG they will have that affect on you, but if you're a POG you shouldn't be eating MREs in the first place!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you never learned to like MREs, you weren't hungry enough.

Sent from my HAL 9000

MississippiRifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2014
    MREs are intended for individuals in high-activity situations (like combat) where they typically burn about 4,200 calories/day. If you're a POG they will have that affect on you, but if you're a POG you shouldn't be eating MREs in the first place!

Yeah, I kinda figured that from the nifty little nutritional facts info bites they print on the MRE cardboards. They're never had much of an "effect" on me, other than to travel through my digestive system as designed, releasing nutrients for use in various field activities.

I take my own food to the field, anyway. MREs are nice to have, but fortune favors the prepared, especially if your unit forgets a field feed or runs out of MREs because one of your LTs rat fucked the entire company's supply to get all the Skittles and M&Ms (true story. He's a major now).

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Quit bashing MRe's/ Until you have enjoyed C rations (in late 60's these were actually the MCIs but were still called "C's") you just have not lived

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Beef stew MREs are awesome, jambalaya too. Avoid anything that says vegetarian or cheeseburger.

Sent from my HAL 9000

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Beef stew MREs are awesome, jambalaya too. Avoid anything that says vegetarian or cheeseburger.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    I agree with the cheeseburger, but why vegetarian? I always thought they were pretty good...plus they always had peanut butter, which I liked versus the cheese spread.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Throw them out and learn how to stock up on much cheaper foods which last longer. A corona grain mill is cheaper than a dozen MREs and allows you to stock up on raw corn and wheat which are super cheap and far more nutritious when freshly ground. You can even sprout them to make them even healthier.

MREs have their place for the military but a hunkered down civvie can do so much better for so much less $.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why would he throw them out?

I wouldn't throw out a T bone because I can buy a sirloin cheaper.

Sent from my HAL 9000

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If I have to resort to eating MREs, it means the situation has gotten to the point where "sprouting" corn grain is not going to be an option...

Sounds more like something "settlers" do! :D

And what exactly is a "hunkered down civvie?!?" Sounds like a prepper fantasy. Truth be told, if shit truly hits the fan that hard; 99.999% of the preppers out there are going to be dead within a week.

Top Bottom