• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    At it again for a while this late afternoon.

683300d2e95b1738356063d066639c75.jpg

Daughter had a monster on the line but he shook loose 8 feet from the bank
    YES!!! If I saw that smile on someone fishing I'd call the cops ;)

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Successful sunrise trip down to the pond. Only one, but it's better than none.

cad1b5338f3a888d9bb3e85d6fc37d08.jpg

And I would like the members assistance in identifying this snake that was seen at the ponds edge underway.

ac49c204155bf64bb91ab93c4e51b948.jpg

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Got to witness a bit of nature here in the burbs tonight.

Took a starless stroll down to the pond around 9:30 tonight to try my luck with the fish at night. During my first retrieve I heard this slurping sound coming from about 2-3 feet from me at the edge of the pond. I turn my hat mounted headlight (review forthcoming) on and approach the bank.

This is what I find:

7b705d7e93d26b39945db93629969049.jpg

Pretty cool to watch.

Anyone able to identify the type of snake? I know the pictures are not of the highest quality, but surely someone here can determine that from what can be seen. I wasn't worried about it possibly being venomous​; figured he would be able to engage me very quickly with the fish lodged in his mouth.

I believe it was a catfish that he was having for dinner. This photo was 20-30 minutes after the first I sighting. When I first saw what was going down, more of the fishes body was exposed. It had a rounder girth than I have seen in the bass and crappie I have caught. If anyone can help identify the fish, it would be greatly appreciated.

And I didn't catch a thing on that trip.

I did however venture down when I got home from work about 7:30. Wifey needed me back home after about 15 minutes, but before I headed back I snuck in a few quick casts. On a blazing retrieve of a black and yellow skirted spinner bait, I hooked up. With an 8-10 inch catfish. I didn't think catfish would go for such a lure, but again, I am just learning.

A cool end to a busy workday.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Looks like another water snake to me. Pretty cool you got to see it eating much less it stayed long enough with the light on for a pic.

I too was pleasantly surprised (at least once) to learn cats will hit a lure. I hooked this fat boy on a Friday night and fought him for 10 GD minutes until the line snapped! In response, I unleashed a fury of filth. That Saturday I went back and won by landing 'em with proof from the 2 lures still lodged in that Hoover opening.

He won too because I removed the hooks and set him free. :)

In case it's not clear, that's 3' and 30lbs on 8lb line.

P4180135.jpg

P4180130.JPG

Last edited:

cwo4uscgret

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    near the Alamo
    Now my wife would (deliberately) say something like "hey, I know where my husband is and what he's doing when your hubbies claim they are on their way to work." In other words - she'd have said in English (her second language) or in Spanish several phrases that would probably cause me to blush....l.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Looks like a water snake eating a bluegill. Fish and snakes both eat them. So do I if they are about hand size. Tasty little buggers.

Coiled, it is not clear, but looks like a flathead catfish. They actually prefer live bait. And get pretty big, 60 pounds or better. 5 to 10 pounders are really good eaters. Not uncommon for me to catch them at night on artificial lures while fishing for bass. They will eat live bluegill or any other small fish they get a chance to. Crawfish too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you see a black one, get back.

Fuckers can be aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crzy_one

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Austin
    That is awesome!

Took a starless stroll down to the pond around 9:30 tonight to try my luck with the fish at night. During my first retrieve I heard this slurping sound coming from about 2-3 feet from me at the edge of the pond. I turn my hat mounted headlight (review forthcoming) on and approach the bank.

This is what I find:

7b705d7e93d26b39945db93629969049.jpg

Pretty cool to watch.

Anyone able to identify the type of snake? I know the pictures are not of the highest quality, but surely someone here can determine that from what can be seen. I wasn't worried about it possibly being venomous​; figured he would be able to engage me very quickly with the fish lodged in his mouth.

I believe it was a catfish that he was having for dinner. This photo was 20-30 minutes after the first I sighting. When I first saw what was going down, more of the fishes body was exposed. It had a rounder girth than I have seen in the bass and crappie I have caught. If anyone can help identify the fish, it would be greatly appreciated.

And I didn't catch a thing on that trip.

I did however venture down when I got home from work about 7:30. Wifey needed me back home after about 15 minutes, but before I headed back I snuck in a few quick casts. On a blazing retrieve of a black and yellow skirted spinner bait, I hooked up. With an 8-10 inch catfish. I didn't think catfish would go for such a lure, but again, I am just learning.

A cool end to a busy workday.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Looks like another water snake to me. Pretty cool you got to see it eating much less it stayed long enough with the light on for a pic.

I too was pleasantly surprised (at least once) to learn cats will hit a lure. I hooked this fat boy on a Friday night and fought him for 10 GD minutes until the line snapped! In response, I unleashed a fury of filth. That Saturday I went back and won by landing 'em with proof from the 2 lures still lodged in that Hoover opening.

He won too because I removed the hooks and set him free. :)

In case it's not clear, that's 3' and 30lbs on 8lb line.

This is remarkable. Catching the same fish again and being able to see your lure—wow. How big was this body of water?

This is what I find:

That is a diamond-back water snake (non-venomous and harmless to you unless provoked, and even then just tiny pin-prick bites) and I agree the fish looks like a catfish from here given the anal fin.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    This is remarkable. Catching the same fish again and being able to see your lure—wow. How big was this body of water?

Caught 'em once, hooked 'em twice. ;) Yes, it was pretty dang cool, and I honored that by letting him go.
    Lake Livingston, the connection being catching cats on a lure.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Fishing for White Bass once with 2 rods about 6 feet apart. Left rod dipped and set the hook. While I was fighting it, the other rod dipped. When I got the fish up, it had both of my minnows and hooks in it's mouth.
    Had a guy get his rod puuled in the water. About 10 minutes later, I caught the fish that did it and gave him his rod back.
    Strange things happen fishing.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    They seem to be getting smaller.

I yanked this one onto the bank with.my first pump after setting the hook.

004e2e3ff0aeec5ca302ae7900657850.jpg

I thought it may have been the monster that jumped and threw my hook last night.

Top Bottom