• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Brave browser is a great way to watch YT without ads. It quickly became my primary browser for desktop and mobile. It also has a feature to bypass paywalls using Tor that works about 50% of the time.

This is what I've been doing for the last few days. Typically I use FireFox for my browser as its generally been faster than Brave for me. YouTube started sending messages a week ago to me about disabling my ad blocker, and finally it got to a point where YouTube videos will not play for me on FireFox. The page itself flatly will not load, even the thumbnail pages.

I went through my subscriptions the other day to see who has also transitioned to Rumble, and have started watching content there for those who are on both. I need to ween myself off the YouTube because Google can suck a fat one. I had YT Premium for a while but it got to a point it wasn't worth it. Now at $14 a month, its definitely not worth it. We already have too many subscriptions.

So for now I'm running Brave and YT loads fine. Its a matter of time though.

Oh, and funny enough I think FireFox and my ad blockers don't like the title of this thread - I had to copy the link and paste it into Brave to load it. Below is what I get trying to view this singular thread on FireFox:

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 15-35-50 Page could not be loaded Texas Gun Talk - The Premier Texas ...png
    Guns International

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South

I think they're doing a phased rollout just to see how many people they can get to sign up for premium. They'll never block playback completely to people using adblockers as that would be bad for them, or if they finally do it'll be right before they shutdown for good.

Yep, Looks like they backed off the AD blocker requirement. I haven't turned mine off but, no "adblockers not allowed" message and is working fine with no interruptions now.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I use Firefox, my wife uses Edge on the same computer. Friday she started to watch a You tube video and got a message saying that unless she turned the ad blocker off, she would be allowed to watch 3 more videos and would then be blocked from watching any. We called their bluff, but sure enough, after 3 videos nothing came up but a white screen..

I turned the ad block off but had to reboot the computer to continue watching. Ironically after turning off ad blocker in both Edge and Firefox, neither one of us get ads in the You tube videos.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    You can copy a link and insert it here, like so.

If you watch on here, no ads.
    If you watch on YouTube, ads all the time.

Maybe y'all already knew that.

I did not know that. Great idea. I'll just copy and paste the links to all my YT videos and watch them here.

Hmm, well maybe not. i don't want y'all seeing what I'm watching.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Chrome and YouTube are owned by the same entity, no? Firefox works fine, Chrome is getting that adblock nonsense still for me. Kinda glad to be reminded why not to throw Google everything.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Chrome and YouTube are owned by the same entity, no? Firefox works fine, Chrome is getting that adblock nonsense still for me. Kinda glad to be reminded why not to throw Google everything.

FireFox with ad blocker still gave me the "3 watches then you're out" warning

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Funny enough - I still have to view this thread on Brave, because it *still* will not load on FireFox. I wonder if the title were changed if it would get through.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I did not know that. Great idea. I'll just copy and paste the links to all my YT videos and watch them here.
    That won't always work. Many channels on YT block embedding on third-party sites. You just get a link that takes you back to YT.

If that weren't the case, lots of sites could pop up that just present YT streams as their own. YT wouldn't like that. Nobody likes that unless they own both sides of the distribution, e.g. Mindgeek for most of their sites.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I finally got the message a few days ago. I turned my adblock off and watch a few seconds of a vid and turned it back on. Haven't got another message since. I'm using Firefox and Ublock Origin. Dunno if ytube stopped the block or Ublock updated to bypass it.

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South
    Oh well, didn't last! YouTube is still at it.

Yep, Looks like they backed off the AD blocker requirement. I haven't turned mine off but, no "adblockers not allowed" message and is working fine with no interruptions now.

With AD blocker "ON", I can't view my playlists now.
    If I logout with AD blocker "ON", I can see individual videos without ADs.

Top Bottom