• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Congrats and glad AG&G has changed.
    The wife's experience with the chapter here in Ft. Worth wasn't so great.

sorry to hear that. Maybe something should be done to improve? Feedback may be needed. That always stinks when stuff is not up to par.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I hope it has and am glad to see your chapter is a positive experience.

In hind sight, I wish I hadn't posted. It takes away from the positive experience you were trying to convey.
    We've long since written it off and moved onto DIVA-WOW.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Nah, don't sweat it, because stuff isn't always gonna be perfect. We can keep it real and talk about pros and cons in a respectful way. Some groups are gonna work out better than others and as always, "your mileage may vary."

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I have a meeting tonight. Then I also signed up for an unrelated women's class at Pearland Shooting Club on Saturday.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks. I was the only one who showed up so I got to practice using the slide lock with my right hand (difficult when shooting lefty), shooting one handed left and shooting right handed (so super WEIRD!).

Coach gave me the go ahead that she will help me begin the NRA marksmanship program with her during some of the meetings.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016

I went to a ladies group there last week. really good!!! It's every month on the second Saturday. I'll go back. It was a bit different and more defensive shooting that time which is great. We did a couple of fun but useful drills. They will address match shooting in a couple of months. So this will be a third monthly training event for me and Lord knows I need it.

Just from talking with the instructor I was a little discouraged when I asked about IDPA (at some point) as she said really you need a Glock 34 or some such comparable to compete seriously. We DO have a Glock 34 but the sights are not to my liking and the mag release button is set up for a righty and I am a lefty. I hate to change it over because my hubby or kid may use it still. This means that the upcoming expense of a kydex holster would need to be for the 34 and not my Glock 26 like I had hoped to shoot in IDPA someday. I know that it's still possible to gear up and shoot the 26 just for practice but I guess I'm just a little discouraged hearing that it won't really get me "anywhere."

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I kinda disagree , but respect his opinion. As a new IDPA shooter your equipment won't be the bottleneck. Show up and shoot what you have, you will grow your skills a lot in the first year. Upgrade when money allows.

Many people never get started with competitive shooting for issues like this. Don't miss out.

There is also a good chance your 26 would fit in a 34 holster, so your purchase will be future proof,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    My thoughts are that any range time like that is time well spent.

So what if you don't get win, place, or show your first time? As long as you are happy with your performance, you learn from the unhappy parts, and you have fun, that's all that matters.

Compete against yourself (or even with another newcomer) with focusing on getting better, and the rest will come.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If your reason for shooting a competion is winning, then you are probably doomed to disappointment. Use what you have and shoot only against your last score. Speed and accuracy will follow along with confidence. As your skill and confidence increases, then worry about upgrading. Some of my most memorable wins, I wasn't even trying to win. Just having fun.
    I give you what I told my kids when they asked what I wanted them to be.
    Try to be a little better tomorrow than you are today. That is something to be proud of.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't worry about what that instructor said. That's kind of a lame statement for him to make, regardless of how accurate it may or may not be. It will take a significant amount of time and experience before you even reach the point of being significantly hindered (performance wise) by your gun. Best thing is to just go get started. It's about the process​, not the end result.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What he said.^^^^^ Very well put.
    It's about you getting better and gaining more confidence in your equipment.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    All very wise words above. Thanks guys.

Instructor (this was not a girl and a gun league class by the way) was a lady leading the women's pistol class. She was trying to get this defensive pistol class moving and perhaps she was busy in that to understand properly my needs and thoughts at that time. She will have some meetings specifically about competition shooting in the next few months, and I will take notes from what you guys just said here and address these in those classes.

In the meanwhile, I'll look into IDPA forums and start researching equipment. I'll like an outside the waistband kydex holster for my 26 anyway (I have a leather one at the moment) so that will be good indeed to start there with getting more equipment acquired.

Also it won't hurt me to practice informally (not in a match) some more also with our 34 at times and see if I can more easily (without switching hands) release the mag with the release button on the other side, too. Probably it's good to have that skill anyway, as most guns are set up for right handed people and needing to be able to pick up different guns and effectively use them would be a good idea.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I went to a ladies group there last week. really good!!! It's every month on the second Saturday. I'll go back. It was a bit different and more defensive shooting that time which is great. We did a couple of fun but useful drills. They will address match shooting in a couple of months. So this will be a third monthly training event for me and Lord knows I need it.

Just from talking with the instructor I was a little discouraged when I asked about IDPA (at some point) as she said really you need a Glock 34 or some such comparable to compete seriously. We DO have a Glock 34 but the sights are not to my liking and the mag release button is set up for a righty and I am a lefty. I hate to change it over because my hubby or kid may use it still. This means that the upcoming expense of a kydex holster would need to be for the 34 and not my Glock 26 like I had hoped to shoot in IDPA someday. I know that it's still possible to gear up and shoot the 26 just for practice but I guess I'm just a little discouraged hearing that it won't really get me "anywhere."

Your instructor is what we call full of poop. If you want to WIN you need a higher end competition rig (unless its CCP) but if you want to have fun, you don't. You just need a pistol, a holster, three mags, and be willing to tape targets.

Actually if you have a GLock 26 you may be able to run it in CCP, which is a new category. Apologies but this Glock correct:
    https://us.glock.com/products/model/g26 (I don't know that much about the various Glock models). Just run it at the approved mag capacity limit and go for it, or run it as normal SSP and have fun.

You can get a cheap Fobus Holster for $25 if you don't have one already.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fobus-Standard-Holster-Paddle-GL26/dp/B001D0TICM

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I went to a couple of IDPA shoots but didn't compete.

There were people there shooting with all manner of pistols from tricked out to small carry guns.

A few wanted to be competitive, many just did it because it gave them an opportunity to shoot with a little more stress than usual and were only competing with themselves. NOBODY gave anyone any crap for shooting with a carry gun. The primary concern was that everyone have a good time.

I would have started shooting with them but my schedule just doesn't work well for repeating scheduled events like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom