• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'm not looking to buy anything, but hypothetically speaking, if you had a thirst for a rifle around $500 OR LESS, and one rifle only, what would you buy? Now that doesn't mean get 2 of some cheap rifle for $500, but instead only one.

For example, a cheap saiga 12 gauge or an AK in any caliber. Maybe a GSG of some sort.
    ARJ Defense ad

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    see how much mags are for it....

Mags can make a huge difference in over-all affordability and should always be factored in. A $500 AK with 30 mags ($9-$20 each) costs almost the same as a much nicer $900 PTR-91 with 30 mags ($.99 each)!

...Unless you belong to the majority of gun owners crazy enough to be content with only one magazine.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Is that the whole AK lineup? Any models in particular? Saiga's, and such?

I'd avoid Century due to spotty QC and any sporterized Saiga because I personally don't like them. Either are much better than nothing, though.

Your original question is actually one I had to face in real life many years ago. I went with a MAADI AK. It's as ugly as it is reliable.

What would you pick, by the way?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'd avoid Century due to spotty QC and any sporterized Saiga because I personally don't like them. Either are much better than nothing, though.

Your original question is actually one I had to face in real life many years ago. I went with a MAADI AK. It's as ugly as it is reliable.

What would you pick, by the way?

Probably a saiga 12, or a CETME (bad quality on those cetme's i know)

I had a WASR-10, no problems with quality of any kind, but I barely shot it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't understand the intended purpose. Is this rifle for target, hunting, Self Defense (SD), plinking?

I agree with the AK-47 for low cost of ammo and maintenance. If I had ONLY one long barreled arm, it would be a 12 gauge shotgun. With slugs, you could knock a bull off of its feet, with buckshot, it's top dog for SD, with birdshot, you nail rabbits, squirrels and vermin. Ammo cost is minimal and you can find it anywhere.

Flash

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I don't understand the intended purpose. Is this rifle for target, hunting, Self Defense (DS), plinking?

I agree with the AK-47 for low cost of ammo and maintenance. If I had ONLY one long barreled arm, it would be a 12 gauge shotgun. With slugs, you could knock a bull off of its feet, with buckshot, it's top dog for SD, with birdshot, you nail rabbits, squirrels and vermin. Ammo cost is minimal and you can find it anywhere.

Flash

The purpose is "Just another gun" that you don't really need, but have extra cash sitting around burning a hole in your pocket.

You can do whatever you please with it. For me, it would be a beater gun, for fun and fun only. Therefore I want something rugged.

I think i'd want an RPK too.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Same price as AR mags...

VZ 58 mags - Google Search

I'm probably unaware of something though. Some of those mags are pushing $50.00 for one.
    Mags run around $40 for them. If you look, the $15 mag costs $24.95 to ship. So its really $40. I dont care about saving $50 on the rifle if I have to pay 400% more for the mags.
    I like to have several dozen for each type of rifle.

Top Bottom