• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I agree the 300blk is a dumb cartridge considering most people who use it reload anyway. I'd rather just down-load some x39 or even .308. Also, the sub-sonic varieties have very unimpressive ballistics.

I am prepared to get a lot of hate for saying that....

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

let me know if you need any more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Gun Zone Deals

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i dont see how anyone things that trimming 300blk to size is "hard". harbor freight sells a mini chop saw for $20ish that gets the job done in a few seconds. then a spin in a real case trimmer to get the size perfect and that its. reloading is just like reloading any other round after that.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    I agree the 300blk is a dumb cartridge considering most people who use it reload anyway. I'd rather just down-load some x39 or even .308. Also, the sub-sonic varieties have very unimpressive ballistics.

I am prepared to get a lot of hate for saying that....
    you talking bolt guns or AR's? it's already been pointed out why 300BLK is a better choice than x39 for an AR. As for downloading 308....it can be done, but that's a lot of unused case capacity to go subsonic and would require a completely different rifle (AR-10, FAL, etc) than simply a 300BLK upper.

What do you find unimpressive about the subsonic ballistics? Downrange energy/range or accuracy?

Choosing to shoot subsonic implies one is willing to give up speed/energy/range to be quiet.

As for accuracy, I'm getting 1.5" groups at 100yds with suppressed subsonic loads (10.1gr of A1680, SMK 220gr, trimmed 5.56 brass, with Rem 7 1/2 SPP). That's out of my homebuilt 300BLK upper and also my Rem 700. I'm still playing with the 208gr A-max bullet, but results look promising.

Don't be a hater.

Last edited:

Vern1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Pettytown, Texas US of A
    Vern1 slips on his asbestos underware and wades in.....

The "Silvers Bullet" is a wonderful round if you drink the koolaid.
    It's an excellent CQB and short range bullet that comes into it's own when ran suppressed..
    It probably works well on people and softskinned animals.
    It doesn't work particularly well on feral hogs.

A properly setup AR47 with an ARP superbolt and CProducts mags just runs AND as a bonus, you get MOA out of crap ammo and it kills feral hogs dead.

The 300 is easy to reload, has lots of bullet options, uses standard mags and bolts.
    All of that "ease of use" still doesn't outweigh it's short comings.
    And there is a LOT MORE 7.62x39 ammo on the shelf than anything for 300BO.
    If you need to reload 7.62x39, grab some Hornady 123gr SSTs and stuff them into Winchester brass - bad news on pigs.

I had quite a few different variations of 300BO, spent almost a year loading and testing so I have plenty of experience with it.
    Still have a properly built and tuned AR47 that runs like butter - I have it because I have lots of 7.62x39 ammo laying around.
    For serious pig hunting, I switched to 6.8x43.

Here is a telling story:
    I and most of my friends (7 different people with 10 different guns) had a 300BO and attempted to use them for Feral Hog control in the last couple of years.
    As of now, ONLY one still has their 300 and the only reason he still has it is because he is waiting on his can.
    Everybody else moved on to a 6.8 or 6.5 for serious Feral Hog control.
    That being said, I would like another one in pistol format someday but see no serious use for another 300BO rifle.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    im not saying that the round is trash, just makes me wonder what all the hype is over when there are other rounds that perform better or the same for less. I love to see peoples posts about the "unreliability" of the 7.62x39 when they have A) never shot one B) let alone don't own one C) read about it in an old post on some website. seems to me the people who have them on this site, don't have an issue. Maybe one day ill get bored enough and have some extra cash laying around to build a 300 BO. until then ill stick with my AR-K and that evil, useless commie round.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Its not the end all be all, but it fills a spot.

If you want a quiet, suppressed AR upper that can be effective for hunting its a good choice.

Still, why limit yourself? Get both and quit bitching about which choice is best.

The simple fact is that it's easy to reload and it works for what I want it to do. I don't see that as a bad choice.

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

Vern1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Pettytown, Texas US of A
    I will admit I have had teething problems with the 7.62x39 in the past.
    I have broken lugs off bolts and had feeding problems.
    I had tons of 7.62x39 Wolf HPs that I wanted to use on pigs and hand built another one using an ARP superbolt and matched/headspaced barrel and 7.62 extension.
    It works as it should, is accurate and shoots the HPs just fine.

My 300's ran nicely with everything but subsonic loads (no can so that would help) and 110gr SPs.
    Finally got the 110gr SPs running reliably by shortening them to 1.90 OAL so the tip didn't dig into the ramps.

Vern1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Pettytown, Texas US of A

If you want a quiet, suppressed AR upper that can be effective for hunting its a good choice.

Still, why limit yourself? Get both and quit bitching about which choice is best.

The simple fact is that it's easy to reload and it works for what I want it to do. I don't see that as a bad choice.

You Sir: NAILED IT!!
    I don't hate anything - I just like some better than others.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Or if you simply wanted a semi auto 30-30 in an AR platform. I probably won't ever buy a suppressor, but i still love the round.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I'll never understand why there is so much hate for this round. Its the same song and dance across all the firearms boards about this round. Subsonic 308 in a semi auto brings its own problems, x39 doesnt do anything better than the 300blk at the cost of running specialized parts abd being more finicky. 300blk goes from sub to super witj just a mag change. If you use it within its parameters its a great round. At my deer lease the absolute farthest I could shoot is 300yds, most being less than 200yds so it works awesome. I like that I can throw a mag of subs in and clear my feeder of hogs without worrying about scaring the deer off that are on their way to the feeder.

For the people who cant kill hogs with a 300blk, you must be a terrible shot. Ive killed hogs with my 17hmr and tons of people use 223 for hog annihilation and the 300blk packs more punch than 223 so I fail to see why it's a terrible round for hog control. I like yhe 6.8 and will have one added to my AR collection before its said and done but to say 300blk is pointless is idiotic. For its intended use it works well. If you need to take longer shots x35 and x39 are not the best choice in an AR platform so I fail to see where x35 falls short of the glorious Russian cartridge. x39 has no real advantage ballistically over x35 and gives up a lot of in ammo choices and subsonic performance.

If you want a cheap plinker thats one thing but I believe most people who own a 300blk have one for a specific purpose. Cheap metal case ammo is the only advantage imo yhe x39 has. The "difficulty" making the brass is a moot point imo as most of us do this as a hobby and many like myself believe the building and development is a big part of the fun. As a previous poster said you can use a mini chop saw to cut the cartridge to length so that makes it a lot easier. I havent had to form any myself as I was able to buy 1000 once fired preformed LC 300blk brass for a little over 100 bucks.

Everyone has their own criteria for the cartridge they want to use, just because you dont "get it" doesnt mean its not useful. Pulling the trigger on a sub with the can on the end is pretty awesome.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Also, the 7.62x39 is a commie round thing is just being irrationally emotional and reactionary. If I'm holding x39 in my hand, it damn sure isn't a commie round anymore.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    once again fanboys are getting personal and taking a fact based thread to a personal feelings thread. the goal of this was to show, with facts and numbers, the difference between the two rounds. but I can see how so many of you jumped on this thread with emotions instead. anyways, never once did I say the round was not useful. im not against the round, just don't see why everyone gets their panties all wet over something that is almost parallel to the x39. I know how the reloading process for the 300bo goes, just something that I wouldn't want to do. Id like to get several other calibers that many of you would be thinking of several other choices out there. it was fun seeing how many of you guys get personal with things. was hoping that we could have a very informative talk here, not one for me, but for others who came to this site for the exact same thing.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    So what was your point? You came in here talking crap about a decent round with only opinion backing you up.

What kind of facts do you want?

300blk has:
    Wider availability of bullet selection
    Better ballistics supersonic
    Shoots suppressed better
    Better SBR round
    Parent brass casing more readily available
    More accurate
    Can go from super to sub with a mag change
    Only requires a new barrel to be in business

X39 has:
    Cheaper plinking ammo

If all I wanted was a cheaper plinking gun I'd go AK74 where I can(could) get a case for under 200 bucks. I fail to see where anyone got personal except for your terrible paragraph structure thats hard to read and me saying if you cant kill a hog with 300blk youre a terriblr shot. Those aren't personal attacks, just facts.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    once again fanboys are getting personal and taking a fact based thread to a personal feelings thread. the goal of this was to show, with facts and numbers, the difference between the two rounds. but I can see how so many of you jumped on this thread with emotions instead. anyways, never once did I say the round was not useful. im not against the round, just don't see why everyone gets their panties all wet over something that is almost parallel to the x39. I know how the reloading process for the 300bo goes, just something that I wouldn't want to do. Id like to get several other calibers that many of you would be thinking of several other choices out there. it was fun seeing how many of you guys get personal with things. was hoping that we could have a very informative talk here, not one for me, but for others who came to this site for the exact same thing.

Let's examine why people responded the way they did.

The first sentence in your first post says that the only real reason people are doing it is because its cool - which starts the conversation off with your opinion instead of "facts and numbers" and is also wrong at face value. Plus, it kind of pisses people off.

Then you follow it up by saying its too much work which is, again, completely wrong if you just buy the brass. Plus "too much work" is about as subjective a statement as you can get.

Maybe if you started out with, "I would love to see someone spend the time...." and went from there you would have been better off.

This part is inaccurate and pissed people off right from the get go.
    maybe its just me but every time I hear someone talk about how they are building an AR in 300 blk.. in a nutshell the only real reason why they say they are doing it is because, well, its the cool thing to do. yes, I know you can use all the same parts as bla bla bla....ive heard it and still thinking... why!? why go through all the work to make a round that is way too much work to make, and way more than a x39 to purchase.

This part is fine.
    I would love to see someone spend the time to make a x39 round with the same quality products as the 300 and do a fair comparison. distance, accuracy, velocity and the such. my AR-K I build will do a 2" group at 100 yards with wolf poly ammo and a model 1 barrel so I'm thinking that using some quality ammo will do pretty good. I would actually love to be apart of this but im not set up to reload either rounds. if someone has some dies in the x39 and wants to work on something.. holla, ive got an AC'd building to reload in now. Thoughts?

I like both. I grew up on AKs. I'm not a fanboy of anything really. You just can't start off a conversation by ticking people off if you really want it to be subjective and fact based. People don't work that way.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Having qualified the first time with a M1 Garand, I wasn't too thrilled by the prospects of the M16. Sure, it was lighter and carried more rounds in a magazine, but had way less terminal power and I didn't have to carry either one.

There are still places that won't allow .223 use for harvesting deer, so that should tell you something about the round or the places that disallow it or about those that are carrying it now. That shouldn't be construed as being a slam on our troops, but it is one of the choices.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Having qualified the first time with a M1 Garand, I wasn't too thrilled by the prospects of the M16. Sure, it was lighter and carried more rounds in a magazine, but had way less terminal power and I didn't have to carry either one.

There are still places that won't allow .223 use for harvesting deer, so that should tell you something about the round or the places that disallow it or about those that are carrying it now. That shouldn't be construed as being a slam on our troops, but it is one of the choices.

Would those laws happen to have been written by M1 Garand shooters?
    The fact that .223 use is restricted only indicates that someone was in charge of righting that into law.

Was that based on evidence? Or was that an emotional reaction based on speculation?

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    once again fanboys are getting personal....
    only fanboy I've seen in this thread is you and your love for 7.62x39 and some weird angst you have against 300BLK.

Most of the info/studies you claim to want are already out there. You act as though you're the first to want a comparison of 300BLK vs 7.62x39.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle

While I agree the M1 has much better terminal performance, the game harvesting laws are dated and out of toucb. Just like Texas doesnt allow rimfire yet all the 17cal centerfire stuff is legal. 17gr vmax will take out some oretty good size animals with a head shot but I think we can all agree that the general public doesnt have the shooting skill most of us on this site have.

All 223 isnt created equally either. My buddy kills 30+ deer a year (harvests for his friends/family and game management high fence) with an AR load with 77gr nosler custom competitions. Thats by far not a typical load but hes also an awesome shot. 300yd hits on a 55gal drum with a 30 year old SA 1911 kinda good.

Top Bottom