• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    maybe its just me but every time I hear someone talk about how they are building an AR in 300 blk.. in a nutshell the only real reason why they say they are doing it is because, well, its the cool thing to do. yes, I know you can use all the same parts as bla bla bla....ive heard it and still thinking... why!? why go through all the work to make a round that is way too much work to make, and way more than a x39 to purchase. I would love to see someone spend the time to make a x39 round with the same quality products as the 300 and do a fair comparison. distance, accuracy, velocity and the such. my AR-K I build will do a 2" group at 100 yards with wolf poly ammo and a model 1 barrel so I'm thinking that using some quality ammo will do pretty good. I would actually love to be apart of this but im not set up to reload either rounds. if someone has some dies in the x39 and wants to work on something.. holla, ive got an AC'd building to reload in now. Thoughts?
    Texas SOT

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My Unfiltered Thoughts (Hey, You Asked):

• You should use more spacing, capitalization and punctuation
    • You did a piss poor job of forming coherent thoughts and supporting your conclusions
    • Over-generalizing often makes you incorrect, at least in certain circumstances
    • Its not really any more difficult to reload a 300BLK than a 270, 308, 223, or any other round
    • You might get butthurt over my thoughts

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    Reasons I went with the BLK is as follows:
    1. I have a mental block toward communist stuff.
    2. There is a lot more bullet selection for .308 than .311.
    3. AR's are typically lighter than AK's. (huge difference walking all night long hunting hogs)
    4. AR's configured to shoot 7.62x39 have inherently weaker bolts/locking lugs.
    5. I use the same magazines as my 5.56/.223.
    6. Brass is not a problem for me as I have a crap-load of .223 cases already that I can trim.
    7. I can and have resized 221 Fireball to 300 BLK as another option.
    8. Most ammo (but not all) I have seen for 7.62x39 is not able to be reloaded (steel case).
    9. 7.62x39 in an AR platform tend to have feeding issues when using AR type (shaped) mags and have reduced capacity.
    10. Reloading BLK is actually a little cheaper than the communist round due to is smaller case capacity.
    11. Cost was substantially less for me as all I really needed was a set of dies and a 300 BLK barrel instead of buying literally everything for the commy stuff.

There is already testing out there from AAC, Larry Vickers and others as far as accuracy, energy, range, etc.

That's all I can think of off the top of my balding head.....
    Hope this helps.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    why go through all the work to make a round that is way too much work to make, and way more than a x39 to purchase.
    This is where you lost me. I'm loading 300 rounds per hour on my Dillon 650 without even breathing heavy for cheaper than I could load 7.62x39
    - think about the increase in popularity of 300BLK even though supplies of 300BLK factory ammo have been hard to find....all hype? or maybe there's a good reason
    - 300BLK is not the be-all/end-all, but it is a pretty slick addition to my AR collection (5.56, 308, 458)
    - I'm getting 1.5" suppressed/subsonic groups at 100 yds with my 300BLK 220 grain loads, think I can still tighten that up some
    - you seem biased and want somebody to do a study and tell you how great 7.62x39 is compared to 300BLK.

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I didn't hear him say anything about aks. My opinion is in the ar platform 300blk is the best option for a .308. Mostly because the x39 is necked down.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Still a 5.56 fan but a .300blk is my next AR purchase and I am most unashamed lover of the that commie rnd the 7.62x39

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Do they make sub sonic 7.62X39?

Serious question.
    Yes. Unfortunately, most of the small ammo makers who specialize in subsonic loads tend to be unreliable sources and extremely expensive. I've never seen it for less than $1 per round and I've seen subsonic .308 Win for over $3 per round.

In any event, try here: Engel Ballistic Research if you want normal subsonic ammo. Apparently, you can get the stuff for ~$2 per round here: https://www.ssgtactical.com/store/productdetail.asp?id=227

If you want to launch a projectile subsonic from the 7.62x39, you can also do it this way: Hammond Game Getter even though I feel sure that's not what you were looking for.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I think the comment about the .300 BLK being hard to make is referring to the shortening process. There's a lot of trimming involved in trimming .223 brass to make a .300 BLK case and then you still have to form the neck and recheck the OAL. It is a lot of trouble for a 7.62X39 or .30-30 wannabe and would be time better used on loading for a 336 Marlin. Besides, you can shoot cast bullets in a 336 .30-30, for the times when you can't find any .308 jacketed bullets for an auto-loader. ;-)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, but you can't swap an upper and make that Rossi a .223.

Hard to get a Rossi to hold 30rnds also;)

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    AAC and Remington spent 5 years developing the 300 blk subsonic cartridge. Criteria was to fire subsonic suppressed rounds in full auto with no malfunctions. If you have ever tried to shoot subsonic .223 suppressed then you will understand. It is an orgasmic experience to hunt hogs at night utilizing a suppressed subsonic 300 blk platform with night vision scopes.

Driller

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    looking at the reloading process, from start to finish, seems like a lot of work for the overall benefits. drastic trimming, reforming, and then onto the normal loading process. if you want to say "well, I bought already processed brass for the 300" then why couldn't you do the same for the 7.62x39 and go from there? In regards to the feeding issues, this seems to be a non issue now days with modern barrels being properly ramped as well as companies like ASC who make a pretty solid mag for the round. I will say that the only issues I will sometimes get on mine is the hard primers getting light strikes. but that could be fixed with a stiffer trigger spring, just too lazy to change it out. I'm with the 300 bandwagon on the interchangeability of parts; wish I could do the same. I'm with Driller on the research on the subsonic rounds, but I have shot home rolled 7.62x39 sub rounds through a suppressor and can say we had no issues. What really kills me is when peoples main line is "it's amazing to shoot suppressed!" then when you ask if they have a suppressor, or have their stuff to order one, they quickly change topic. And to appease Mexican Hippie, I would LOVE to separate my over drawn out paragraphs but for some reason, this great site refuses to let me use the Enter button while replying to a thread.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I got my 300 because it is a spectacular semi auto 30-30 and I don't like AK's so the x39 was out for me. Given the choice on an AR platform the 300 is inherently more reliable and functional than the x39

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    300 blkout is very easy to resize and reload. Dont understand the problem. I have 500 trimmed cases ready to go. Its called a "powdered case trimmer"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    looking at the reloading process, from start to finish, seems like a lot of work for the overall benefits. drastic trimming, reforming, and then onto the normal loading process. if you want to say "well, I bought already processed brass for the 300" then why couldn't you do the same for the 7.62x39 and go from there? In regards to the feeding issues, this seems to be a non issue now days with modern barrels being properly ramped as well as companies like ASC who make a pretty solid mag for the round. I will say that the only issues I will sometimes get on mine is the hard primers getting light strikes. but that could be fixed with a stiffer trigger spring, just too lazy to change it out. I'm with the 300 bandwagon on the interchangeability of parts; wish I could do the same. I'm with Driller on the research on the subsonic rounds, but I have shot home rolled 7.62x39 sub rounds through a suppressor and can say we had no issues. What really kills me is when peoples main line is "it's amazing to shoot suppressed!" then when you ask if they have a suppressor, or have their stuff to order one, they quickly change topic. And to appease Mexican Hippie, I would LOVE to separate my over drawn out paragraphs but for some reason, this great site refuses to let me use the Enter button while replying to a thread.

Sounds like you've made up your mind and are looking for someone to prove you're right.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Do they make sub sonic 7.62X39?

Serious question.

I agree the 300blk is a dumb cartridge considering most people who use it reload anyway. I'd rather just down-load some x39 or even .308. Also, the sub-sonic varieties have very unimpressive ballistics.

I am prepared to get a lot of hate for saying that....

Top Bottom