• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2023
    Euless
    As it says. I want to purchase two suppressors. a dedicated .22 and then a 9mm. I thought I was in love with the multi caliber blah blah blah, but now I'm thinking maybe not. I would like advice about a specific suppressor to buy that works quite well.

If I can get a good one for a deal, then that's great! The guys at silencer central and silencerco want to sell me some pretty pricey ones.

Do I need those? Are they actually better than a cheaper one? What makes them better?

Most importantly, WHAT DO YOU USE AND WHY? (regarding .22 and 9mm)

If you don't use or rarely use suppressors please let those who have experience guide me on this.
    Target Sports

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    To a certain extent, you get what you pay for.

If you have a friend with one, try it out. Maybe you have access to a range where they will rent you one.

From personal experience, the cheaper .22 rimfire suppressors aren't worth what you save. In a rimfire suppressor, I'd look for one that is rated for up to 22 mag and 17hmr. My experience with the Gemtech GM-22 has been okay at best. It's not the best performer out there, but it was relatively cheap at the time. SilencerCo has a good rimefire can. I have the Spectre II, which is also full auto rated.

There are many options for 9mm. Many are also rated for 300BO, subsonic only. Many people want short suppressors or those that are modular. IMO, they are a compromise. Once you start stepping up to the larger suppressors, things like tone become more of a factor. I have only shot a SilencerCo octane 9 suppressor and have been happy with it. There are many models and reviews of other options out there.

I recommend selecting one that is from a reputable company. As mentioned before, try some if you are able to.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    By .22 cal do you mean .22 LR or .223? Or both?

ETA: I love the AAC M4 2000 for my AR and of course it works well on my 10/22.

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    All of my suppressors are silencerco, but I don’t think they were pricey compared to some of the other stuff out there. My .22 suppressor is a spectre. They don’t make that one anymore but every once in a while they do promotions where you can get a free rimfire suppressor if you purchase another one. You still have to pay the bribe to the atf though, but not a bad deal if it’s the suppressor you want.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    For your rimfire, do yourself a favor and get a serviceable can. I was happy as a pig in slop when I fired my first subsonic round through my Tactical Solutions Axiom. It's an older can but user serviceable and capable of handling full auto up to 5.7x28 and won a suppressor of the year award from Recoil Magazine if that says anything. Mines a little beat up, way too dirty, but it has never let me down. I'd pay for a legal trust vs the one shot trust, but that's just me. I'm in the greater Houston area, if you're nearby I'll let you run it on most of my hosts or you can screw it onto yours. What platform is this going on? FWIW I'd get a 5.56 can and run rimfire through it so that allows you the option to run center-fire...but I do love my Axiom. https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1365498 I run Cole Tac covers on all my cans, seen too many fingerprints erased to make that mistake without some precaution.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Almost all .22 suppressors are great, the top few I'd recommend (in no particular order) is the oss rad 22, dead air mask, or rugged oculus. Griffin and OCL have some pretty interesting options, but i have no experience with them.

What hosts do you have for 9mm? PCC's are super fun suppressed, but traditional pistols kinda suck to shoot suppressed. I would instead look at .30 or 5.56 suppressors depending on what hosts you have.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Another vote for a Dead Air Mask for the 22. It's serviceable so you can clean it out which should be a must for a 22 can in my opinion.

For 9mm, depends what you are shooting it on. If a PCC, then the Dead Air Wolfman. Large volume/diameter can that works extremely well. If you are using it for a handgun, the the Rugged Obsidian is a nice one. If you don't plan on getting another suppressor, then get the 45 and you can use for 9mm as well. You lose a little but not that much in the form of sound reduction from the larger diameter opening.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have been told that titanium is better for the .22 suppressors. Does that sound accurate?
    No.
    22 subs are extremely quiet.
    For a 22LR only can, I have found cheap cans are just as good as the pricey ones.
    I have an $275 aluminum monocore can that sounds just as good as damn near every other rimfire can out there when shooting subsonic 22. When my dealer tried it out after I had it transferred in, I asked him what he thought about it. His response was “I think I wasted $200 on mine.”
    I take it apart and clean it with a toothbrush in my bathroom sink. Pretty simple.
    I also have a heavier centerfire rated can for use on my 22 Mags and 5.7, but for 22 subs, there is simply no need for it.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Welcome!

Make a trip to Austin for Capitol Armory's 'Quiet in the Capitol VI' event on March 2-3, 2024. You'll get to stand in line and try many different suppressors on different platforms - all for free. If you are so inclined, they will also have cans for sale on site, and will help you process the paperwork, etc.. There is usually at least one lawyer there that will create a Trust for you if you want one.

Figure out what you want, how much you want to spend, do some research, then research some more. Be prepared to wait upwards of 12 months (YMMV) to get approval to actually take your can home.

With that said, I am happy with my Omega 9k and my old (by today's standards) AAC Element.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Titianium 22 is not needed.

Take apart can is a must for 22. Recommended for 9mm.

Dead Air Mask is a solid choice for 22. Q El Camino and AAC Element are also good.

9mm - Rugged, Sig, AAC, GSL, SilencerCo, CGS, are good options.

It would help if we knew what guns you were using.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I recently received my two suppressors bought from Silencer Central, a Banish 30 (good up to 300 Ultra Mag) and a Banish 22K (22 LR-.22 Mag)

I got mine through a BOGO sale. I hadn’t thought of Capital Armory but will look hard at them for my next cans which will be for 9MM but I’ll be buying a can rated through .45 ACP

Guns come and go, suppressors not so easy, so I suggest you buy a can that will handle your biggest cartridges you want to suppress.

My next rifle can will be good through 45-70.

Good luck!

Top Bottom