Gun Zone Deals

1911 Fans Celebrate, Marine Corps adopts a .45 again.............

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I don't care about the 'others', even if they go 1,000,000 rounds without any mals.

I'll keep my 1911s...it's a Beauty and the Beasts thing with me....
    Hurley's Gold

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Perhaps this is a silly question, but this will only be issued to special op units and not standard issue, correct? If so, then would that mean standard issue would still be the M9 to regular troops? Yay/Nay ????

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I don't care about the 'others', even if they go 1,000,000 rounds without any mals.

a true american right there i trust that there are others out there but others are like skinny women they are ok but i need meat on my bones besides iffin ya pistol whip some one do it with class. live or die the 1911 will always be my side arm

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    a true american right there i trust that there are others out there but others are like skinny women they are ok but i need meat on my bones besides iffin ya pistol whip some one do it with class. live or die the 1911 will always be my side arm

Now that's something I've never did....what's the best method of holding the pistol for the whippin'???

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Looks don't matter when you're buying a combat arm. Reliability, effectiveness and accuracy do.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I love how people like to throw around their Google knowledge of what is or is not carried by particular super operator elite ninjas. Quite frankly, don't make that stuff up here, I'm tired of seeing it. A majority of people on this board do not have any actual first hand knowledge, or knowledge from an actual reliable, vetted source on who is carrying what in SF, elite SMU's, etc. We're all guilty of it to some degree at some point or another, but we should demand more of ourselves in putting accurate info out there if we have anything of value to add to a discussion. Unless you personally know someone in or that formerly was in (and is vetted) a tier 1 SMU, I don't want to see any more claims of that thrown around. The majority of claims I've seen here and elsewhere from people talking about how commonly found the 1911 is with SOF units in general and SF/SMU's almost always seem to fall under this description. Check your sources, check your facts. The few reliable, vetted sources I've seen seem to state otherwise on the 1911 platform being all that common anymore in SOF usage short of MARSOC. Larry Vickers to name one.

There are also a whole lot of anecdotal statements and comparisons being made here. Again, stick to the facts. "Your buddy used this in the 'nam" or "I shot this for a few hundred rounds then carried it and never used it for years" are not valid arguments that a given platform is somehow great for issue to a military SOF. Stick to the facts.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I love how people like to throw around their Google knowledge of what is or is not carried by particular super operator elite ninjas. Quite frankly, don't make that stuff up here, I'm tired of seeing it. A majority of people on this board do not have any actual first hand knowledge, or knowledge from an actual reliable, vetted source on who is carrying what in SF, elite SMU's, etc. We're all guilty of it to some degree at some point or another, but we should demand more of ourselves in putting accurate info out there if we have anything of value to add to a discussion. Unless you personally know someone in or that formerly was in (and is vetted) a tier 1 SMU, I don't want to see any more claims of that thrown around. The majority of claims I've seen here and elsewhere from people talking about how commonly found the 1911 is with SOF units in general and SF/SMU's almost always seem to fall under this description. Check your sources, check your facts. The few reliable, vetted sources I've seen seem to state otherwise on the 1911 platform being all that common anymore in SOF usage short of MARSOC. Larry Vickers to name one.

There are also a whole lot of anecdotal statements and comparisons being made here. Again, stick to the facts. "Your buddy used this in the 'nam" or "I shot this for a few hundred rounds then carried it and never used it for years" are not valid arguments that a given platform is somehow great for issue to a military SOF. Stick to the facts.

You know one of my sources. ;) He may have been out for a while, but he's still got sources of his own (like his old medic who became a team sergeant and is still in), and keeps up on some stuff.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Come on bro sig im no longer in and by no means a expert not by a long shot
    I just love the 1911 i dont care what they issue as long as our boys can use it and it functions.
    Sorry to get you upset.

Danton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Agree 100% with the first statement. A pistol isn't for getting into a fight, it's for extracting yourself from one. You want to be able to put some lead downrange to keep the other guys from coming after you.

Your question has an answer (a couple). These are for MARSOC: Marine Special Operations. The rest of the Corps is staying with what they have. Also remember that not nearly all of those Marines would use or even need a sidearm...

Excellent questions and responses. While the pistol is a purely last resort/defensive battlefield weapon for the vast majority of conventional, and some spec ops forces (e.g. Rangers), and therefore capacity is a major consideration, there is one caveat: The most elite spec ops units train exhaustively for CQB (room clearing, hostage rescue, etc), and often that involves the takedown of a very small space where the pistol is the primary offensive weapon (I'm referrring to Delta & ST6 in particular, but the other SEAL teams and Army SF (Green Berets) train for those types of direct action as well). In those scenarios, especially the more surgical strikes, the operator chooses the weapon(s) he feels gives him the greatest advantage in target acquisition and accuracy. If that weapon is a single stack 1911, and it at least sometimes is (particularly for Delta, although I've heard that's been slowly changing over the years), then that's what he packs. There are also excellent 10 round mags on the market and are used by some spec operators as well as civilian tac units.

With that in mind I think there is a place in the military for the 1911, but a very specialized place. As much as I love my 1911's and carry them more than any other platform, I have to agree with stalker19 in general terms. I was pretty ambivalent toward the M9 (and the 9mm) while in uniform, and was always looking for an alternative. The 1911 didn't make sense for me at the time, IMO, based on the mission profiles involved, and the excellent combat .45's that are in abundance today were not around in the late 80's/early 90's (or hadn't been fully vetted). Had I stayed in the military I'd no doubt have ultimately ditched the M9 for, most likely, a G21, and then switched to the FNP .45 (I own the Tactical version and it is absolutely outstanding). I am very happy, though, to see the .45 gaining more prominence in the DoD, particularly now that there are many .45's available with excellent capacity.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guys, like it or not - the 1911 is a time-proven battle weapon of not inconsequential ability. What many of you fail to remember is that where the Geneva Convention is observed (by US Forces), "hardball" is about all they can use. The impact and wound channel of a FMJ .45 is gonna be a lot more impressive than that of the 9mm - and in the hands of a marksman, he IS gonna put it where he wants it, and then it's up to the bullet to deliver the most devastating damage possible.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Guys, like it or not - the 1911 is a time-proven battle weapon of not inconsequential ability. What many of you fail to remember is that where the Geneva Convention is observed (by US Forces), "hardball" is about all they can use. The impact and wound channel of a FMJ .45 is gonna be a lot more impressive than that of the 9mm - and in the hands of a marksman, he IS gonna put it where he wants it, and then it's up to the bullet to deliver the most devastating damage possible.

Less than a tenth of an inch diameter difference isn't going to make a dramatic difference in effectiveness.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

All true, however, my concern would be with the frame cracking exhibited by the contract winner in this case. I'm being serious and asking if that concerns those of you that know and love this platform.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Please show me the documented proof of a cracked frame...additionally, bear in mind that everything you hear on the 'net ain't always true.

Mike, that tenth of an inch may not sound like much....until it's about doubled in mass and punchin' through YOUR favorite body part!

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    All true, however, my concern would be with the frame cracking exhibited by the contract winner in this case. I'm being serious and asking if that concerns those of you that know and love this platform.

It wasn't that big of a deal to the military when they awarded Beretta their contract...

Danton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My favorite lines from the TV show "The Unit" (written by Eric Haney, the first CSM of Delta):

Working with a female undercover operative, a Unit operator asks, after seeing her draw her weapon: "You carry a .45, not a 9mm?". Her response: "Which would you rather get shot with?"

Upon initiation to The Unit, a new operator is shown a cabinet full of pistols and told to choose one for personal carry. When he picks up a 9mm, a seasoned Unit operator remarks to him "We carry these weapons to kill people, not hurt their feelings."

I'll stick with my .45's.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom