• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheEnglishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    With the wife at the nail salon, my 13 year old son and myself hit the range and as usual we took his single shot .22lr Remington Target Master (he's owned it for 4 years now) and my 9mm Hi Point Carbine. On the way home we talked about shooting, the other guns we saw at the range and what gun he would like next. As a kid who plays the latest video games, I was fully expecting him to say an AR15, AK47, Steyr Aug or something else modern and tactical. To my surprise, he wants a bolt action rifle. Which leads me onto my question, what would be a good calibre to buy him where the recoil won't put him off shooting the rifle and he enjoys practicing with it, but one that he'll still be able to use to hunt with for years to come.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Lynx Defense

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    .223/5.56 would a reasonably inexpensive starting point. Let him try other calibers as opportunities become available and go from there.

Bring him with you to the event in October. I have no doubt there will be a few different brands and calibers

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    We have the little AR style .22 rifles.
    So FUN!

Scholastic Steel Challenge Program is totally worth it. Steel Challenge matches are all around. Have a look in your area.

Here is my 14 year old son shooting it.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congratulations. Sounds like ya'll have a good time together. You Son has good taste. Bolt is my favorite rifle. Even though my go-to is a AR223 right now.

My first recommendation would be: https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110/110-predator in .223

My 2nd would be: https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.html in .223

.223 is just a great starter/long term round. Great for target and varmint and will put deer down with discipline. .223 is also prevalent.

IMHO

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My first question is why you think recoil would put him off?

When I was that age I got a kick (pun intended) from shooting 30.06, 12 gauge shotgun and large caliber pistols.

Just teach him how to hold the rifle properly.

TheEnglishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    My first question is why you think recoil would put him off?

When I was that age I got a kick (pun intended) from shooting 30.06, 12 gauge shotgun and large caliber pistols.

Just teach him how to hold the rifle properly.

He enjoys shooting my Mosin and that kicks, but he'll only want to shoot 3-5 rounds. Because he knows it kicks he flinches. I want him to be able go to the range and shoot 50-100+ rounds and get proficient first.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    He enjoys shooting my Mosin and that kicks, but he'll only want to shoot 3-5 rounds. Because he knows it kicks he flinches. I want him to be able go to the range and shoot 50-100+ rounds and get proficient first.
    .223 in a fairly heavy barrel profile.
    You can enjoy it too.
    Savage bolt action, for my 2cents.

TheEnglishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    And thanks everyone for the advice. I'll probably look at getting him a 'budget' .223. The Mossberg and Savage seem to get good reviews, and if its something he wants to get into then I'll definitely look at getting him the Mossberg MVP in a couple of years

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Savage Axis ii Predator. Heavy barrel .223 and comes with a 4x12 Bushnell untill you can get a better one. My 6.5 creedmoor is accurate.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Only 3
    $398 at wally world.

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    The make & model of the rifle are subject to your budget & personal tastes.

The .223 is less expensive to shoot, recoils less, will tend to be more portable, and is somewhat limited as to the range of game that may be humanely taken. The .243 Winchester is noticeably more expensive to shoot, recoils more, but probably not enough to matter, and can readily be used to take game up to the size of white-tail/antelope, when judiciously used.

I think I would opt for the .243 Winchester.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought my daughter a Remington. 770 in 243. You can find them with a cheap scope already on it for around $300.

She can shoot well with it and has taken a couple deer with it.

I plan to get her a nicer rifle down the road. But the 770 is a decent starter rifle.

Top Bottom