• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    Been thinking about getting one for a while now, and may have some extra cash to get one. I've read mostly positive reviews, it is an FN after all. I find the .45acp to be fun to shoot, although it is more expensive to shoot than my 9mms. I already have a 1911 so I do already have a supply of 45, so I'm not adding a new caliber.
    Capitol Armory ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    FN makes good stuff. They are nice pistols. I shot one at a range and really liked it.

I have been very close to getting one myself.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I like mine.

IIRC there is one in the marketplace with a bunch of accessories for a decent price.

P4270033.jpg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've heard they're pleasant to shoot. I really like the idea of a suppressor ready version. Unfortunately I recently lucked into a Colt Gold Cup Trophy... and there goes my FNX money. Still on my handgun bucket list though, I'd love to get some trigger time with one.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Great pistols and I almost bought an FNP 45 before deciding to get the XDm 4.5 in .45 ACP in 2010. Both of these pistols along with the G21 have pretty large grips which wasn't much of an issue for me having fairly large hands. Through coincidence early last year, I was able to get a Ruger P-89 replaced buy buying an SR9 directly from Ruger. I was so impressed with the design and engineering of the SR9 that I sold my XDm and bought an SR45 a month later when they were fairly new in 4/13. I gave up 3 rounds in the mag for a pistol that has much better ergonomics and can be carried by bigger guys that can carry a full-size 1911. It also didn't hurt that the SR45 is the most accurate of the non-1911 pistols I've fired. It's performance totally belies its price tag. So, if you get a chance to rent the FNX, I'd recommend trying the SR45 also if one is available for rental. If you have large hands, install the backstrap with the arched side exposed. If you're hands are not so large, you may prefer the flat side exposed where the backstrap is easily reversible. SR45 trigger's can be easily modified to about as close as you'll come to perfection, or a tuned 1911 trigger. The Ghost 3.5# "Rocket" has a tab that must be filed down to accomplish an over-travel stop. The side benefit of that other than the accuracy enhancement is that it will also make reset about as short as it can possibly be. My SR45 will handle loads from 200 gr. SWCs at around 800 FPS to my 185 gr. Golden Saber handload that chrono's 1087 FPS where you'd have to buy the factory +P version to get better performance and then it will be slight. 100% functioning with everything I load and with warmer JHP loads I prefer to shoot them in the SR45 over any 1911 as far as recoil which inludes 230 gr. JHP load above 900 FPS.

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    I've got a late model FNP45 and I love it. My version of the FNP has the ambi controls that were missing (from what I hear) on earlier versions so functionally it's just like the FNX45 (as a southpaw, that was important to me). It's better for people with larger hands because the grip is a handful. The interchangeable backstraps give you a few good options. I prefer the coarser checkering but a good friend of mine thinks it's too rough. I also own the FNX-9 and used to have the FNX-40. I got rid of the 40 because it felt redundant with the 9 and 45 - and with the 14 and 15 round mags in the 45, I wasn't really losing out on having enough lead by my side. All of the FN pistols I have (had) are top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

I'd recommend looking into an FNP45 as well if you can find one with the ambi safety since it'll mean it's a later model with the enhancements. However, given the chance, I'd buy an FNX45 to add to the family (wouldn't ditch my FNP45 though).

Top Bottom