Your office chair can kill you - it almost happened to me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I COULDN'T MAKE THIS UP IF I TRIED!!!

WARNING: Your office chair is a ticking time bomb, primed to detonate and send shrapnel into your anus at any given time for no apparent reason!

So this morning I wake up and sit at my computer, as usual, to check my e-mail and appease my curious brain with useless tidbits of odd knowledge. I had a particularly powerful yawn come over me and as I leaned back in my office chair with my arms outstretched, letting out a giant wookie sound, I was overcome by a very loud "POP!" as I fell backwards onto the floor. The gas cylinder in my chair had inexplicably and suddenly popped, sending me to the ground, and plastic and metal shrapnel scattered around the room.

After the initial shock wore off, I decided to google "exploding office chair"... Holy crap! Apparently there have been fatalities and numerous injuries caused by exploding office chairs! Some 14 year old Chinese kid is apparently the most famous victim. He bled to death after his chair exploded (his exploded up through his seat cushion, sending shrapnel into his anus).

I can't help but feel like the luckiest yet unluckiest guy in the world at the same time. Had I leaned forward instead of back when the chair exploded, I may have suffered the same fate as that Chinese kid.

WORD OF ADVICE: I've had this office chair for 14 years and it never showed any signs of deterioration besides some cushion wear. It functioned perfectly and gave no warning signs before blowing up. If you're using an old office chair, consider replacing it before you become the next casualty. I will be replacing mine every 3-4 years from now on, regardless of condition. I got lucky, you may not be so lucky.

OFFICE CHAIRS ARE DANGEROUS!!!

Edited to add: I only weigh 185 lbs and I'm very gentle with all of my belongings, even furniture - which is why this chair probably lasted so long before trying to assassinate me.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

gwjohns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Fort Worth Texas
    it's for the children.

9f2eede27664d63a8c6425e924871c05.jpg

Protect this House I will

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You can get a replacement cylinder for most chairs and rebuild it if it's worth it.

Cylinder went out on my personal office chair a couple months back

Since I never change the height anyway, I simply cut off a section of 2 1/2' diameter PVC to go around the cylinder at the preferred height, sprayed it with black Rustoleum and slipped it over the worn out cylinder ... problem solved.

Longest part was waiting 20 minutes for the paint to dry.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I've got an old office chair in my garage workshop. It tried to kill me when I leaned back and a bolt broke. I fixed it good with a much stronger bigger bolt. Not adjustable any more but safe.

I'm a big boy and at fault for overloading the thing for about 10 years.

99taws6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    It's the Chinese government trying to overthrow us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Lunch hour a long time ago at work... I hear "Boing! Bang! Owwwww!"
    Coworker had his feet up on his desk, leaned back, spring loaded adjuster bolt in the front of his chair broke and the big old star nut shot across his cubicle, hit his safe, came back and center punched him right between the eyes. Drew blood!
    Hilarity ensued, but we checked him out, put a band aid on the dent and unanimously decided not to report it as a workplace accident. Us being civil servants and all, we figured it would become legendary.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Nothin like a metal cylinder with shards up your ass on a Tuesday morning eh? I got one of those expensive cushy ones for bad backs, maybe I'll put a plate on the underside so I don't get an anus full of gas and shards...Well the gas part can't be helped I suppose.

Top Bottom